Who you find overrated and corny?

ok guys what kinda crack are you guys smokin' and where i get me some from?

READ the computer screen carefully. Process it, store it, heck download it in your brain. You can even save it in a Wav. or mp3 file if ya like.

PRINCE CANNOT SING!!!!!!!!

:bugeyed

oh and heer you can take you and ya 5 post back to the purple rain board.:smilerolleyes:

Madonna is the most overrated artist, or should I say act every. She's not talentless, and she has recorded some classic songs. But she's not the cutting edge innovator and songwriter she and the media say she is. She's never been 2 steps ahead of other artists like the media says she's always been. Madonna is just an image based artist, and the only thing she's good a reinventing is her image not her music.

I find Justin Timberlake and Usher just average talents, and very overrated dancers. Though I do think Justin Timberlake has recorded some good songs. And Chris Brown, I wouldn't even say he's average. He's just plain crap to me.

I love Alicia Keys, but I think her music is very overrated as it's very bland and regressive. I do like her song You Don't Know My Name even though.

Britney overrated, I think most people know she's not a great talent.

I think Beyonce is very overrated. With Destiny's Child she was awesome and original, but as a solo act she's boring and bland, and has ripped off Tina Turner's stage act and dress sense.

And I forgot. Robbie Williams he's very overrated. He's just a Clown who thinks he's the King of Pop. All he does is run up and down the stage when performing, he never gets far LOL !!!

lol, Prince's voice ain't sh*t compared to Michael's, his range ISN'T as good, his quality isn't even one quarter as good, and he isn't half as versatile or emotive. I think Prince can sing, but to compare his voice to Michael's is absurd. And maybe you think Michael's shows are "repetitive bullsh*t", but Madonna could never have the energy or the intensity that Michael has on stage, or the command. I don't know why you even have to bring Michael in to it and basically use a belittling tone in regards to him just to up these other acts with about a fraction of the talent.

Prince's voice ain't sh*t compared to Michael's. Well no ones voice is good compared to Michael's in my view. I'm sure Prince would agree that Michael is a better vocalist than him. But Prince does have an amazing vocal, and like Michael he really knows how to use his voice to express emotion.

As for Madonna, her name should never be used as a comparison to Michael Jackson. She's not a genius, Michael is and I can understand comparisons with Michael and Prince but NOT Madonna's.

PRINCE CANNOT SING!!!!!!!!

Prince Charles "CANNNOT SING", but Prince Rogers Nelson has an AMAZING VOICE and CAN SING !!! .............. though obviously his voice isn't as amazing as Michael's, but still has a brilliant singing voice.

Last edited:
Madonna is the most overrated artist, or should I say act every. She's not talentless, and she has recorded some classic songs. But she's not the cutting edge innovator and songwriter she and the media say she is. She's never been 2 steps ahead of other artists like the media says she's always been. Madonna is just an image based artist, and the only thing she's good a reinventing is her image not her music.

I find Justin Timberlake and Usher just average talents, and very overrated dancers. Though I do think Justin Timberlake has recorded some good songs. And Chris Brown, I wouldn't even say he's average. He's just plain crap to me.

I love Alicia Keys, but I think her music is very overrated as it's very bland and regressive. I do like her song You Don't Know My Name even though.

Britney overrated, I think most people know she's not a great talent.

I think Beyonce is very overrated. With Destiny's Child she was awesome and original, but as a solo act she's boring and bland, and has ripped off Tina Turner's stage act and dress sense.

And I forgot. Robbie Williams he's very overrated. He's just a Clown who thinks he's the King of Pop. All he does is run up and down the stage when performing, he never gets far LOL !!!

Prince's voice ain't sh*t compared to Michael's. Well no ones voice is good compared to Michael's in my view. I'm sure Prince would agree that Michael is a better vocalist than him. But Prince does have an amazing vocal, and like Michael he really knows how to use his voice to express emotion.

As for Madonna, her name should never be used as a comparison to Michael Jackson. She's not a genius, Michael is and I can understand comparisons with Michael and Prince but NOT Madonna's.

PREACH IT!!!! I agree with everything.

Prince Charles "CANNNOT SING", but Prince Rogers Nelson has an AMAZING VOICE and CAN SING !!! .............. though obviously his voice isn't as amazing as Michael's, but still has a brilliant singing voice.

LOL his singing isn't all of that BUT he sounds great with funky tracks like someone mentioned. Thats it though, very average at (singing) but I LOVE PRINCE his amazing. His as equally talented and original as MJ. BOTH completly DIFFERENT artists, so their really isn't no comparision. His just a little overrated when it comes to his singing.

I didn't say Prince's voice was sh*t compared to Michael's. I said his voice AIN'T SH*T compared to Michael's. Meaning, it's nothing special in comparison to Michael's. On it's own, he's got a good voice, which I already stated more then once in this thread. How is it that my defense of Prince somehow got turned around on me like I was hating on him? lol. It's just silly to compare him vocally to Michael though. He's highly limited in comparison.

While I agree on your other choices, I strongly disagree about Robbie Williams. And he already got far, at least in Europe. America simply doesn't get him. He's a great entertainer, vocalist, very versatile, he has a sense of irony about himself, his art, the whole music business, and he has written a couple of really amazing songs. Personally, I don't like him much, but I can separate the person from the music.

As for overrated artists, I find everyone overrated who just has nice looks, can move a bit and/or has a nice voice, but no real soul or musicianship. I don't care for people's vocal skills as long as they sing radiofriendly, dull and bland songs that are written by other people. Real talent has to be a combination of more factors than just good looks and voice. I like people whose music appeals to the heart, the mind, the body and the soul and not just to 14 year olds listening to the radio charts.

lol, Prince's voice ain't sh*t compared to Michael's, his range ISN'T as good, his quality isn't even one quarter as good, and he isn't half as versatile or emotive. I think Prince can sing, but to compare his voice to Michael's is absurd.

While I agree that MJ has a better voice, Prince has a HELLAFIED large range himself, arguably as large or larger than MJ's (he gets WAY high and REALLY low. The only thing he can't do is get his voice as high as MJ without going into falsetto) and I don't think comparing their voices is "absurd". Michael has a unique voice, Prince has a unique voice, anyone can find the other's better than the others, there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I like MJ's a lot better, but that's personal, subjective opinion.

As far as who I find overrated and corny, I've got plenty of people who I think are overrated, namely a good chunk of today's popular rappers who go platinum with every album while the true innovators and the talented musicians/lyricists in the industry struggle to go gold and get radio airplay. The list of overrated rappers is too numerous to mention.

As for overrated artists, I find everyone overrated who just has nice looks, can move a bit and/or has a nice voice, but no real soul or musicianship. I don't care for people's vocal skills as long as they sing radiofriendly, dull and bland songs that are written by other people. Real talent has to be a combination of more factors than just good looks and voice. I like people whose music appeals to the heart, the mind, the body and the soul and not just to 14 year olds listening to the radio charts.

Exactly and its sad that the music industry approach on what they call "talent" nowadays has resulted in just mediocrity OR flat out no talent. The factors you need to succeed in mainstream today is, look good, have a nice voice (even if you really can't sing), make radio friendly music(even if it really sucks), and do a couple of moves(even if you suck as a dancer). None of the artists like you said have no soul and don't put their all in what their singing about. They just care about "popularity" and what little hype they can get, which is also taking the focus off of the MUSIC.

You can have a hit today but the question is, is it going to be playing 50 years from now? Most of the radio music now is going to be long forgotten AND there is good music out there its just non- commercial.
Its just sad that the great talents of TODAY are very underrated BUT thats just a retarded approach the industry has on music today.

Last edited:
The record companies aren't the fault per se. They aren't the ones "stealing" or buying the music. It's the same as any other business, give the people what they want. If the audience wants burgers and overpriced coffee instead of salad and spinach....

While I agree that MJ has a better voice, Prince has a HELLAFIED large range himself, arguably as large or larger than MJ's (he gets WAY high and REALLY low. The only thing he can't do is get his voice as high as MJ without going into falsetto) and I don't think comparing their voices is "absurd". Michael has a unique voice, Prince has a unique voice, anyone can find the other's better than the others, there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I like MJ's a lot better, but that's personal, subjective opinion.

As far as who I find overrated and corny, I've got plenty of people who I think are overrated, namely a good chunk of today's popular rappers who go platinum with every album while the true innovators and the talented musicians/lyricists in the industry struggle to go gold and get radio airplay. The list of overrated rappers is too numerous to mention.

His range isn't as large as Michael's, not if you'e going by actual octaves and how many notes their ranges span. Prince is extremely limited in full voice. I'm not even sure he can sing lower then Michael, because Michael is able to easily reach in to the base register. According to a quote from Michae's voice coach, he has a range of 4 octaves, full on, every note in between. I know Prince doesn't have that. Hitting a note doesn't count if you can't control it, actually sing in that register, it doesn't count as part of ones range unless you are able to do that. And unless you can hit every note in between your highest and lowest, I don't care if it spans over 7 octaves, your range doesn't count as seven octaves because you can't reach every note in between. There is a singer in Austraila who holds the record for both the lowest and the highest notes ever hit, and those two notes span over 7 octaves on the piano. But he isn't able to sing the larger majority of notes in between those two, his voice just cuts out and skips over to the next, so in reality, he only has a range of about 4 octaves. Still extremely impressive, but the 7 octave range is a myth. Anything over 3 is impressive.

Quality wise, Prince's voice doesn't touch Michael's. Michael has a beautiful voice. Prince doesn't, and technically, he isn't nearly as good in terms of transition, timing, control, etc... I started out defending Prince's ability to sing, but when someone comes along and starts dissing Michael to make Prince seem better, I just won't stand for it.

Last edited:
His range isn't as large as Michael's, not if you'e going by actual octaves and how many notes their ranges span. Prince is extremely limited in full voice. I'm not even sure he can sing lower then Michael, because Michael is able to easily reach in to the base register.

Well of course I'm going by actual octaves and how many notes their voices can hit... that's what "range" is. I just don't see how you can say that when Prince can get EXTREMELY low and EXTREMELY high and everything in between. Do you listen to much Prince? Have you heard how high his voice gets in "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World", or how low he gets in certain parts of "Nothing Compares 2 U"? Name one song Michael has sung where he goes as low as Prince in "Nothing Compares 2 U". Just one. I'm sure Michael can hit the low notes too, but he hasn't done so as low as Prince in any song that I'm aware of.

Sounds to me like you think MJ has the better voice (which I agree with), but you're trying to prove it with facts that aren't true. I can't think of even high notes MJ has sung that Prince hasn't hit, and yet I can think of many low notes Prince has sung that MJ hasn't.

Now, as I said, I like MJ's voice more because he's able to hit higher notes without going into falsetto, which is really cool.

According to a quote from Michae's voice coach, he has a range of 4 octaves, full on, every note in between. I know Prince doesn't have that. Hitting a note doesn't count if you can't control it, actually sing in that register, it doesn't count as part of ones range unless you are able to do that. And unless you can hit every note in between your highest and lowest, I don't care if it spans over 7 octaves, your range doesn't count as seven octaves because you can't reach every note in between. There is a singer in Austraila who holds the record for both the lowest and the highest notes ever hit, and those two notes span over 7 octaves on the piano. But he isn't able to sing the larger majority of notes in between those two, his voice just cuts out and skips over to the next, so in reality, he only has a range of about 4 octaves. Still extremely impressive, but the 7 octave range is a myth. Anything over 3 is impressive.
Well, I don't know if Prince hasw a voice coach, and I've never heard any quotes from him, but what I do know is that on records and in live performances Prince can hit the highest of highs, lowest of lows and sing and control his voice with all of them. If you're actually taking a journal of every note MJ has recorded and every note Prince has recorded and compared them, well consider me wrong, but I have a hard time believing Prince can't sing in between just about every note he's able to hit. He's not just some guy going for a record, he's a singer and his range on record is every bit that of MJ's.

Quality wise, Prince's voice doesn't touch Michael's. Michael has a beautiful voice. Prince doesn't, and technically, he isn't nearly as good in terms of transition, timing, control, etc... I started out defending Prince's ability to sing, but when someone comes along and starts dissing Michael to make Prince seem better, I just won't stand for it.
There's nothing to "stand" for. This is purely subjective and you're not going to be able to prove MJ's voice is better than Prince's, or that Prince doesn't have a "beautiful" voice. I don't see why things like that work you up so often. Step back for a second and pretend this is two artists who you aren't as passionate about, let's say Donny Hathaway and Smokey Robinson. Both have unique and great voices, and both are hugely talented musicians. Would you honestly try to act like it was fact that Smokey had a better voice than Donny or vice-versa? Probably not, because you could realize they are both HUGELY talented singers with unique, great voices and saying one is better than the other is really based on nothing more than who you personally like better.

To me, comparing MJ and Prince's voice is like comparing rock to folk or R&B to jazz. It's just preference and they both offer something different.

Yes, this is an MJ board and most will prefer MJ's voice (myself included), but that's just what it is... preference. Not fact.

Last edited:
Minnie Riperton is 5 and a half. Patti Labelle is 4.

Okay. Anything above 3 is impressive. Nothing more to that statement then what you see.

Supserstition, the fact of the matter is, Prince is not able to reach the notes Michael is able to in full voice, thus meaning his natural range is extremely limited in comparison. It's not as wide. Falsetto isn't universally regarded as part of ones range and if Prince is incapable of actually singing in full voice at the upper part of his register, then technically, in that department, he is inferior to Michael. Because his natural voice then simply does not span the same amount of notes. What I do know is, Michael can reach all the way from at least basso low C all the way to Ab above High C in full voice before breaking off in to falsetto. What notes he can reach in falsetto only he and his voice coach know, but if he can sing that high in full voice, then I'm quite sure he can impress in terms of falsetto.

I haven't taken any notes or figured out which of the two's highest and lowest notes on record are. But that doesn't matter in the least anyway. We don't know the highest notes Michael can hit in falsetto, nor do we know the lowest notes he can sing. A singer will rarely if ever go beyond 2 octaves on a recording as there's no need for it. Prince may be on record singing higher in falestto and lower, but that's no indication that he actually can reach higher and/or lower notes, and it's no indication that he is able to reach every note in between. The fact that his range cuts out and he's FORCED to go to falsetto to reach really high notes would seem an indication that he has sto skip over certain ranges.

Prince simply is not as good a vocalist as Michael, not technically. You can argue for preference all you like, but in terms of breathing technique, vocal range, and control, transitioning from one register to another, Michael is a much, much better singer.

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with all the Jargon when it comes to singing but from what I can hear Prince vocally doesn't even scratch the surface of how good Michael is.If you're trying to compare Michael to someone vocally, you're going to have to way higher than Prince. Prince's voice is not his best attribute. (But I still love Prince anyway I just don't think he's on Michael's level vocally)

Well, that's the natural reaction around these parts, as it is in Prince's favor on many of his fan boards.

Like I said, I too prefer MJ's voice, I just hate the way certain things are put out as facts when they are most certainly not, even with things like technique (technique also being hugely subjective itself) brought into it.

Last edited:
I only say technique based on what are used as general standards in vocal training and proper ways of singing. Almost nothing can be stated as fact in the literal sense of the word. We have standards for the very reason of being able to determine a things quality. Without standards, nothing has any value whatsoever because there are no means then to determine a value. If we were simply to use subjectivity in determining what was good and bad, without any rules or boundries, then you very well could argue that Britney Spears is a better vocalist then say, Stevie Wonder, just because you like her voice better. Even though Stevie has a better range, transitions between registers better, meaning you don't hear him shift over, has better quality, has better timing, has better breathing technique, all factual, unless you decide that the standards don't count for anything. Then of course, those facts don't really matter.

Last edited:
Well, that I agree with, although those standards I think are heavily blurred when dealing with forms of art, especially singing and even further compounded when dealing with talent on the level of both MJ and Prince.

I'm not even that big of Prince fan. I really like some of his work, but some of it I find out there and it's taken me several years to get into him, whereas with MJ I saw his 2001 Anniversary show and was immediately hooked on everything I heard of his. And yet if someone said they find Prince the better singer, I really wouldn't find it in me to argue with them. To me, it's like comparing two renowned pieces of art, like The Mona Lisa or The Creation of Adam. There may be artistic standards dealing with things like "brush strokes" or "shadowing"... but when dealing with those two paintings, is there really a factual answer?

But anyways, the funny thing about this is that while thinking about Prince, I find him slightly overrated. Not corny though. But his biggest fans point to how he plays nearly 100% of his instruments, and while he's a HELL of a guitar player and instrumentalist, I've always felt he's went for quantity over quality. Many of his albums in the 90's I felt were nothing better than plastic to be used as coasters, and Emancipation could have been an amazing album if it was one disc instead of three.

Well see, I started off defending Prince saying he COULD sing, lol. So we're kind of in the same boat in that sense, haha. Prince is a good singer, my only point of argument was that saying he's shown a greater vocal range then Michael is wholely untrue, and based on what is general practice and standards in the world of proper singing technique, he isn't factually on Michael's level. Not by a long shot. I use general standards all the time because it's the only real way to make any kind of real point. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any reason in even talking about it, as you just go round and round in circles then and nothing can be given any value.

Last edited:
ah is there ANY thread where the two of you don't end up fighting?

give it a rest!

and btw, waaaaay overrated is also Britney Spears. I mean , what the hell ?!

Last edited:
^ mate there's no fight - i'm enjoying reading their constructive debate.

no one is brave enough to fight with wannabe :ermm: the very though of it makes people cry :yes:

I didn't say Prince's voice was sh*t compared to Michael's. I said his voice AIN'T SH*T compared to Michael's. Meaning, it's nothing special in comparison to Michael's. On it's own, he's got a good voice, which I already stated more then once in this thread. How is it that my defense of Prince somehow got turned around on me like I was hating on him? lol. It's just silly to compare him vocally to Michael though. He's highly limited in comparison.

I wasn't attacking what you said, I was agreeing with you and just reiterating what you said to put my view across in agreement with your post.

While I agree on your other choices, I strongly disagree about Robbie Williams. And he already got far, at least in Europe. America simply doesn't get him. He's a great entertainer, vocalist, very versatile, he has a sense of irony about himself, his art, the whole music business, and he has written a couple of really amazing songs. Personally, I don't like him much, but I can separate the person from the music.

I can separate the person from the music. I dislike Robbie Williams as a person, but I dislike his music and entertainment far more than his personality.

Yes Robbie Williams is very successful, but being very successful and popular doesn't always mean someone is a great talent. I don't consider what Robbie Williams does as "art" or his concerts great entertainment. His a lightweight at music, and nothing more than a lightweight Seaside Entertainer. America does get Robbie, in the way they know is not that great and has nothing to offer music as the man is just a joke. If people like his music of stupid form entertainment, then I can only agree to disagree because I have a very low opinion him as he's talentless to me.

Last edited:
i thought this was a 'list' thread that we couldall giggleat and compare notes...not a pissing match between who's better and who ain't....

each person has they own opinion...note that stating 'i know this is ur opinion but....' does not allow u to bash the person or their comments....it's the same thing

Back