Is MJ self conscious about performing on stage?

knight56

Proud Member
Is MJ self conscious about performing on stage? Its been so long since he been on stage and doing concerts and touring! Last time he tour was 1997 LAST time he did a concerts were 2001-and a bit in 2002....so its been a long time. We know he working on a new album ..but he does not need a new album to go on stage..In fact he does not have need to release a new album and he could still sell on concerts alone!

Last edited:
he's self conscious of everything he does when it comes to his art.. he's a perfectionist..

No I don't think Michael is self conscience on stage.
He's always said he is not nervous on stage or performing
he is more comfortable there than making public appearances
He loves performing and OWNS the stage and he knows it.

He has just been tied up with getting his house and life in order.
what he went through was devastating. plus he wanted to wait
untill all the flack died down before attempting to come back to
the public eye - he is very wise and patient .. He wants everything
set in place first .. He is a perfectionist and as Will i.am said
Michael is the FINE TUNE King.

This is his year and he is going to take every advantage
of Thrillers Anniversary to make his move ..

I know in my heart he WILL be performing this year.

Last edited:
I think performing is second nature for Mike. He has been on stage, starting at such an early age. Performing for him is probably like walking for us. I know that he is a perfectionist, but he can probably put on a "good" performance without even thinking about it. It's just in his blood at this point.

Hmmm....I think he is, being a perfectionist and all.
On the other hand, he's always said he feels most at home onstage so it must be one of te most comfortable places in the world for him.

Tough question! I guess only Michael would know the answer to that!

I think in some ways hes self conscious about being on stage mayby thats why he doesn't like performing

I don't think he things about that. He just simply listens for beats and do his stuff :D But before than he make a lot of practice and you make a lot of practice then you can be more brave about yourself that you will do your thing:punk:

I think in some ways hes self conscious about being on stage mayby thats why he doesn't like performing
Mike didn't say he doesn't like to perform...he said he doesn't like to tour. He said he loves to perform.

Self conscious as to what? his appearance, his performance? I agree with Big Apple, performing is second nature to Mike. After all, he's been doing it since he was 5. And, as far as his appearance, folks ought to be used to it by now. He's been this way for the past 20-25 years.

Last edited:
Mikes been performing on stage most of his life. It would be second nature to him now and MJ has said you dont think when dancing, you feel.

MJ self conscious about performing on stage?

yes, and I just heard he will be announcing his retirement at the Grammys

Everytime I watch the 30th Anniversary performances of MJ it seems to me he doesnt feel very comfortable being on stage. Im sure he loves to perform,because he gets all the love from the audience but at the same time he seemed to be so unconfident ..okay, that was a really sad period in his life...
Hey Mike, look at yourself through my eyes and you`ll become a narcist, hehe...

Historically? I'd very much doubt it. How does he feel about it right now? Don't know. We don't really hang :(.

LOL "we don't really hang" LOL

What is up with these topics man? WHy do people forget that in between 2002 and now MJ went through a 2 year trial...had about 2 years to recuperate. Do people forget that? Was MJ supposed to be on stage while going through the trial of his life or something? LOL

You do not have the hang with MJ to answer this question.

Rasta, I was about to say "what? For reals?" LOL. Don't do that again.

As for the question - MJ still got it and so what if he is self conscious? That is what makes him one of the greatest performers ever.

I don't think anyone could honestly answer a question like that unless they were Michael. No one knows what he's thinking or feeling except the special individuals in his life that he talks to and they aint sharing :lol:

Everytime I watch the 30th Anniversary performances of MJ it seems to me he doesnt feel very comfortable being on stage. Im sure he loves to perform,because he gets all the love from the audience but at the same time he seemed to be so unconfident ..okay, that was a really sad period in his life...
Hey Mike, look at yourself through my eyes and you`ll become a narcist, hehe...

he wasn't feeling well then. he had trouble with his back, you could tell that.

Hell MJ could be a lot of things right now. Whats the point in entertaining the negative possibilities of his state of mind when we DONT know?
We can pull ANY negative state of mind out of the air and say MJ could be that right now; to what end though?

You're right J5. People can't count the period from before the trial to at least a year following it, that's unrealistic and not fair to Michael.

About the question, of course it's possible. Remember that reporter who talked to Michael in his hotel room in London after the WMA's? She told him people had been expecting him to perform "Thriller" and Michael said something along the lines of "How can I perform "Thriller"? I havn't performed that song in almost 10 years."

I think Michael want's to make absolutely sure he's ready to hit the stage again as a performer before he does. He could half ass it and it would still blow everyone else out of the water. But Michael is an interesting person. He's said that the reason he works so hard and always has is because he want's love and acceptance. I always thought maybe the reason for why Michael work's so hard, sometimes to the point of putting his physical health at risk, is because he's afraid of rejection. Lord know's he's been shown enough of that to last him 10 life times.

So I don't know. I don't think fan's can just dismiss the possibility that Michael may be somewhat unsure of himself. But at the same time I think that he's also the type of person who, while he may be reluctant to get up on stage, once there, its almost like he's possesed and something's taken him over. He comes alive on stage. You just have to get him there first.

Last edited:
He's been self conscious since he started performing. Have you heard him talk about how he cried after he came off stage at Motown 25? I think most of it is because the pressure his father put on him when he was young.

Yup, I think he is, to an extent. And to not be would be weird. Most entertainers are. They're up in front of a large audience.

For the most part, he has it down pat..he knows what he's doing. But I still think he gets kinda conscious..like ..pays attention to what he is doing :yes:

Don't know if he is shy or afraid though. Doubt it. He is a natural. :yes:

He's been self conscious since he started performing. Have you heard him talk about how he cried after he came off stage at Motown 25? I think most of it is because the pressure his father put on him when he was young.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think.

MJ self conscious about performing on stage?

yes, and I just heard he will be announcing his retirement at the Grammys

:LOL: :lol::lol::lol:
And thats why from his OWN mouth in his latest message to the
fans he said there is much more to come from Michael Jackson ..
that he has never lost his passion for music

sheesh I hate those rumours :wacko:
But we have Michaels OWN words just a few days ago
to say differenty

Last edited:
You do not have the hang with MJ to answer this question.

Rasta, I was about to say "what? For reals?" LOL. Don't do that again.

As for the question - MJ still got it and so what if he is self conscious? That is what makes him one of the greatest performers ever.

But we as fans say that is the greatest performer of all time base on his classic work.

When he is onstage? No. He said numerous times that the music just takes over his body. As to the "crotch-grabbing", he said that he was often embarrased afterwards, when he watched himself on tape.

Interesting question.

I would say yes, but generally over the years Michaels perfectionism has most definitely deteriorated. From the period where he cried after his breakthrough performance (Motown 25) because he didn't execute one move absolutely perfectly - to a point where he seemed pretty OK half-arsing a performance at MSG in 2001 and doing whatever it is he did at the World Music Awards.

But I think he's in a much better place that he was in 2001, and now may be in a better state to evaluate that going on stage and half-arsing a performance wouldn't be healthy for his career. I've always thought that he is very scared of furtherly touching his career. He has lost a lot. Including his love for Neverland, which he thought would never land. I feel that it would be heart-breaking for him if this was Invincible all over again - yet, he's scared to expose himself like he did in HIStory since, if that was rejected, it would be like a sword through his heart.

We'll see.
To be honest, I think a good performance... like, 'Michael Jackson' good, could be one of the best things he could do, personally and career-wise. Whereas a bad performance would destroy his confidence.

One thing I've always noticed is his covering of the microphone, during more recent eras. I think that's him being self-conscious of lip-syncing, yet being self-conscious of singing live also.

Back