do your family members feel MJ was the king?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
ever have musical family debates and ask do you feel MJ was king and if not then who? did his passing make some of your family members rank him higher or about the same?

have you heard certain family members who were quiet on him say like he was always the king to me? any surprise comments from family or friends on his ranking with them?

My folks aren't into that label stuff, I'm not either. It's silly to me, although I like those titles James Brown comes up with like "Minister Of The Super Heavy Heavy Funk", lol. My mom's favorite singer is Sam Cooke. She likes 1960's R&B music mainly, so is not really interested in Mike.

My Mom always liked Michael a lot (although she said she kind of lost him for a while in the eighties while she was busy with family and career - don't know how anybody could ignore Michael in the 80's?? :smilerolleyes:), but my Dad wasn't exactly thrilled when I became Michael-obsessed. That didn't keep me from loving him and listening to his music or hanging posters on every corner of my room :p My little brother also followed my example and really, really liked Michael back then (this was somewhere around 96-97).

For some reason, my brother is the only one who hasn't discussed Michael's passing in any way, I don't know if he has completely stopped liking him or what. But my Dad was responsible for the big surprise last autumn..I was talking with my Mom about Michael and This Is It (the movie) and my Dad walks in, asks what's up. I told him what we were talking about, and mumbled something like "not that you would be interested in that though.." And what does my Dad say?? That back then, when he couldn't get away from listening to Michael's songs, at some point he actually realized most of them were pretty good. :blink: He just never admitted to liking them or Michael. Maybe he was afraid I'd start to listen to Michael's music 24/7 :cheeky:

So, maybe it's just me who thinks of Michael as the true king of music, dance and hearts :wub: but I think my family members have a sense for great music as well (at least my brother had it..) :punk:

What about you, mistermaxxx, aren't you going to answer your own question? :)

oh yes, my family all love Michael! They always refer to him as a legend. My mom was the one who got me into loving Michael...She was born in '58 as well, so she grew up with the Jackson 5 and always had a crush on Michael...She bought Thriller on vinyl, and even bought a Michael Thriller doll for me when I was little...I had a little red leather jacket and a microphone when I was little and she took a pic of me wearing it...My mom had bought all the albums, until I was old enough to buy my own (which was HIStory in '95) My mom had a crush on him as long as I could remember, and my dad would always get me and my sister all excited and pumped whenever they played anything of Michael on tv, and it was always a tradition to watch Thriller on Halloween before we went trick or treating...My dad would try to scare us while we watched, cuz he knew I was especially scared, but couldn't keep my eyes off Michael! :lol:

My bf loves Michael too...not in the way I do, but he always shows great respect, and admiration for Michael, and says that EVERY Michael song is great! which is true of course! So, yes, my whole family really does love Michael toO!

My mum really loves Off The Wall, she loves Thriller and Bad too but to a lesser extent.

Although she doesn't know much about Dangerous...her excuse it that she had me in the year it was released, but I was born '93 so I don't know what she's on about there! :lol: My brother was born '95 so she doesn't know much about HIStory either, or Invincible.

My Dad knows the odd song...Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Black or White, etc.
One thing I'll always remember is back in about 2002 - 2003 I was watching something on TV about MJ and I asked him why he was white, he said he changed his skin colour because he didn't like being black, now I think he knows about vitiligo and that the cases were clearly extortion.

My brother says he doesn't like MJ at all...I think he's secretly a closet-fan though. :D

I think they acknowledge that he is the king though, even my brother.

My mother loves Michael but she would probably say Elvis was "The King". She's from another generation (76 years of age). She lived through Elvis. I only lived through the last portion of Elvis but I lived to experience Michael my entire life. So he's The King to me.

Other family members seem to be indifferent towards Michael. His passing seems to have affected me much more than some of my other family members (which saddens me). They just don't get it. Or maybe I'm just overly senstive.

I got a surprise this weekend. I had a few family members over, including my 87 year old great aunt. When I said I had the TII dvd, and asked if anyone was interested in seeing it. She was the first person to resoundly say "yes, I love Michael Jackson."

Everyone else had seen it, but we all looked at again (me for about the 20th time).

So my family loves him, but nobody is as obsessed with him as I am.

No one in my family likes Michael, just my brother who his name is Michael too. :wub: :lol: he loves him! My older brother doesn't like Mike at all. And my parents don't like him too..my dad says that Elvis & the Beatles were much bigger than him.

No, but that's because my family doesn't think or talk about him much. They're not really fans. My mom is a fan, but more of a causal fan. I don't really bring him up as a conversation topic in front of the others because they have made some ignorant comments before. I generally don't talk about Michael in front of my family unless they happen to bring it up. I do know that both of my parents can't stand Elvis though ;) And as far as The Beatles go, they both like The Beatles. I don't know who they think is bigger, but my mom once said that Michael is probably the most known person on the planet, so...

My family love Michael. My dad got me hooked on his music from whe I was a baby and my mum likes him. My mum thinks at times my 'obsession isn't healthy' but what the hell does she know!

My family love Michael. My dad got me hooked on his music from whe I was a baby and my mum likes him. My mum thinks at times my 'obsession isn't healthy' but what the hell does she know!

^^ hahaha.....my parents don't say anything about my obsession now....but when I was younger, like 13, my dad had commented, "umm....don't you think you're a little obsessed?" and i'm like "noooooo....." :mello: :lol:

My mom really likes him as does most of my family. (I remember as a child hearing my dad say, "Look at that joker dance". Joker was a name he called anybody who could do anything very well. It was like he was proud of him or something. but my dad was really into Black issues so I think he was happy about him.)

My brother says MJ is "overexposure to pure awesomeness" like from Kungfu Panda. But none of them like him as much as I do. They think I am crazy.:D

My parents like him. They don't like him as much as me. My dad is a fan since the J5 days. My dad and MJ are almost the same age. But I think we all know he is the King!

My family all like him. I mean, I wouldn't call them super fans or anything, but my mom grew up on his solo music, so she knows every song from Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad. My stepmom was the same way... she still remembers watching him moonwalk for the first time and what a HUGE deal it was. My 6 year old brother discovered his music after he died and watched the Black or White video on TV.... I kid you not - he has been listening to almost solely Michael Jackson for a year when he listens to music. LOL! It never gets old to me, but my dad is pretty sick of it!

Yes, they do! :p Even though some don't or didn't like him after a while do to rumors they preferred to believe over him , they still think he is/was the best ever! :)

I guess my parents liked him, until Michael was a big part of my life, then they just let go.. But I remember my mom and I watching World music awards in 1996 and we both screamed and jumped up and down when Diana Ross sat on MJ!! It's a nice memory, very funny thing actually. My dad had the Bad vinyl... that's the first MJ's music I've heard and learned the lyrics... but my dad was REEAAALY into Elvis and my mom, not really into something...
for the other people, they always say 'Oh Thriller was good, but...'

thank God, all my family loves him, everyone even my grandma :lol:

My mom and dad think Michael was like an innocent and vulnerable little angel :)
I kinda feel the same but i like to think of him as an extraordinary man more than an angel. Maybe he is an angel now. off topic, i know :p

Last edited:
My brother says MJ is "overexposure to pure awesomeness" like from Kungfu Panda. But none of them like him as much as I do. They think I am crazy.:D

LOL!!
My family likes MJ and respect him all the way, though every now and then one of my sister might dare to make some funny comment, but really joking, for they all know this is serious stuff for me.

But yes, sometimes my mamá says "Ok, Paola... it's ok, you have to let go, c'mon, it's been enough". I guess they feel worried about my being sad. That's something I can't blame them for.

Just about everybody in my family likes Michael. My parents, my siblings, my aunt, and especially my grandmother. She would be the first person in my family, after me, to tell you how amazing Michael is.

My little sis is the only person that doesn't like him but he's not her type of music anyway and she never said bad things about him and stuff (she's not interested in him). Heck she was the one that alerted with the news of his death after I woke up. :cry: Though she said she liked "Man in The Mirror".

But everyone likes Michael in my fam. :)

They really do. He was really the King of Pop, no one can be, never was never will be!!

They like him but not as much as me. There fandom has its limitations.

My family (except for my sister) ADORES MJ..Growing up, my dad played MJ all the time around the house and in the car, and my mom is a HUGE fan!! We went to see This Is It and we were all watching MJ in amazement..said that he was the greatest entertainer of ALL TIME!!!! MJ was and still is MAGIC!!

Everyone in my house bar my father excepts Michael is a genius, they are not all big fans but they would never dispute who is the king but my dad just can't let go of Elvis, he sees it as you have to like one or the other and doesn't like it when i use the whole writing your their songs argument, however he has said that there is no doubt that Michael is talented. My brother had tickets for the O2 so he was obviously a fan and my sister seens him on the dangerous tour in Dublin.

I love the fact that my whole family always had so much respect for Michael. They have never denied that he sure is the King, and that there will never be one like that again. My dad took me to the HIStory concert and ever since that day he has been talking how good Michael is on stage, he told me, its an experience he will never forget and cherish for the rest of his life. And not to mension my grandmother, she is 77 now and she looooves Michael.I always watch concert dvds with her and I can tell, she is loving him so much. She was so heartbroken when he passed, even now she keeps talking about him, how sad she is for him, sad for his children, and his fans.
Thanks to my wonderful husband and my family I survived last year, I wouldnt have been able to battle the pain if it wasnt for them.

My family loves him :yes:
My parents grew up listening to him and the bro's. My dad went to the Victory tour,my mom had a crush on MJ... I grew up listening to Michael!

I really don't know I never heard them refer to Michael as the king. As far as I know they think Elvis is the king. Especially my oldest aunt my mother's oldest sister. She is a big Elvis Presley fan and a big Michael Jackson hater. My aunt just doesn't want to see what is so great about Michael Jackson. Where I can't really understand what is so great about Elvis Presley. Michael to me is the true king not Elvis. My mother likes Michael's music but I still really don't consider her to be a Michael Jackson fan. Especially since she had said some very nasty things about him in the past. She even made fun of his death 2 days after it had happen. Though she said she wasn't but that wasn't they way I had taken it. But the rest of my family are Michael Jackson haters.

Back