Spam campaign targets Michael Jackson fans *DO NOT CLICK ON MJ COIN BANNER*

moonwalker5885

Proud Member
Fans of Michael Jackson, the pop icon who died last year, are being targeted by spam emails encouraging them to hand over personal details in order to buy products claiming to commemorate his death.

Internet security firm Symantec discovered the malicious spam campaign that is designed to fool those shopping online into not only parting with personal information, but also with hard earned cash for products that they will never receive.

The main product being hawked via the scam emails is a commemorative coin that features the famous face of Jackson engraved on one side and is retailing at the equivalent of £13, which places it firmly into the impulse buy territory for those who appreciate the life and work of the so-called King of Pop.

If the user follows a link in the spam message they are encouraged to order the phony coin by giving away their home address, payment card information and even their landline phone number, all of which contravenes the basics of safe shopping online when the source site is not trusted or reputable.

Spammers have been exploiting the death of Jackson periodically over the past 12 months. Immediately after his death, his name was quickly elevated to the top of the spam topic charts, just as his back catalogue began to top the record charts. Official figures predict that the Jackson estate has made a billion dollars from legitimate sales since the singer died last year, but the cost incurred as a result of the spam campaigns is currently unknown.

Criminals have been quick to capitalise on significant news events and in particular celebrity deaths, by manipulating the way in which search engines accumulate results, all too easily duping those attempting to enjoy some safe shopping online into parting with private information whilst attempting to pay tribute to their idols.

Source: Safeshop

Re: Spam campaign targets Michael Jackson fans

There's really nothing we can do about that...just a prime example of people using Michael once he hits his prime. :(

I saw a banner advert for that coin on this very forum!
I was sure it wasn't official as it had never been mentioned here, so I ignored it.

I was sure it wasn't official as it had never been mentioned here, so I ignored it.

Me too. I've been refreshing the page to try and get the advert again with no luck yet lol. I hope the MJJC ad isn't related to this :(

That's a prime reason why I don't click on adverts on any online forum I belong to.

Had the banner come up a while ago and clicked it... definitely not for a commemorative coin.

That's terrible. Thanks for posting. Please please everyone be vigilant when buying things online. I'd go as far to say if it's not official from an official outlet don't buy it! Take care.

WOW, I saw this on the banner on here and clicked on it too because I liked the way it looked, but it didn't take me to the coin so I took it off the screen, thanks for letting us know guys :D

Who'd actually buy a coin for £13 anyway? :huh:

The banner is still there, it does look impressive but after reading here i never clicked on it.

Guys DO NOT CLICK ON THE COMMERATIVE COIN BANNER. As mentioned it is spam and there isn't much we can do about it as the banners are not controlled by us.

Me2 lol

i just got finished debugging my computer..

thanks and no thanks to them. thanks for the warning, article writers.

but.

it's King of Pop to you. assholes.

i will never get tired of correcting that.

not to mention, his back catalogue has always been kicking the charts' ass. i realize that die hard fans don't exist. and they are considered a small number, with other artists, to you, but you keep forgetting..you're talking Michael Jackson, here.

Some people are just really sick in the head. Instead of finding an honest way to make a living, these leeches seek to scam heartbroken people for a profit. They're all great examples of people who truly don't deserve to inhabit this planet (or any planet, for that matter.) I feel sorry for anyone who has gotten scammed out of their money/info in hopes of receiving this non-existent item.

It is important to know that online shopping isn't always safe, even on sites like eBay and Amazon. One needs to use common sense and caution. Most importantly, never ever click on any banner or ad. More times than not, those things lead to trouble.

Hmm...when I clicked on the banner it had a form to fill in to win an ipod. I guess thats the way to get the information? I'm going to alert Gaz to this and he will be able to report it.

I saw the banner and as I'm very curious, I click on it - I was curious because my job is to buy and sell collectors coins, and I was curious to see WHO could sell this kind of stuff, I didn't find information about something official, this not astonished at all because USA made very few commemoratives coins and they concern only the 50 states and the US Presidents - I was pretty sure that it was a fake -
It's a shame :no:

Just a word of warning to everyone never ever give out card details to anything that isn't a trusted site. Its not worth the risk.

Just saw it again right now.

banner0630.jpg

Marty In LA

I got an e-mail in my personal e-mail...and it was for a commemorative MJ coin...for 19.99..plus shipping ...is this what you are talking about?

Back