Earthquake in Chile

I just saw on CNN, first they said this earthquake was 800x stronger than the one that struck Haiti, then they said it was 500...Im cunfused but it is still A LOT stronger...and many countries around the Pacific Ocean are in alert and may be hit by the tsunami...
This is so tragic...I'll be praying for everyone in danger...

"The planet is sick...like a fever. And if we dont fix it now, its at the point of no return." - Michael Jackson

Successive strong earthquakes first in Japan, then now in Chile, just weeks after Haiti. OMG, what's happening to the Earth? We've got a few friends in Chile. I'm terrified =(

Thanks for posting. I hope our Chilean members check in with us that they are ok? Also, those from Hawaii. The coastal areas (which are a LOT?) are being evacuated because of a coming tsunami. I have a friend in Alaska, which is also under a tsunami warning. These are very difficult times. . .

I know people who go to college in Hawaii. Hope they'll be alright. :angel: I hope everyone who's affected by this will be alright!

What happen to our world? :(
It can't be.. oh God it cant be... It gets me sad when I hear that.. first tsunami in 2004, then haiti and now CHILE?....

What about us?

Ok this is freaking me out. Everything started with the Tsunami in Srilanka few years ago, I had a pen-pal from there and I never heard from her after that incident. :( I'm hoping for the best, but a couple of years have passed and I still dont know what has happened. Anyways...

Do y'all think we are actually closer to the "end?"! When ever i watch the "end of the world" movies, this is what happens...it starts at one place...then continues in other places...

My grandma is always praying and telling me and my whole family to pray for the world...and that maybe if we pray hard enough, God will get us through whatever he has planned. This world is so materialistic that people are destroying other people for $$$. It is the worst thing that could ever happen. It happened to Michael, and he was the kindest, purest and loving person i've ever known...:heart:

My prayers is with them.

L.O.V.E.
Romi

...aww i don't think its the end of the world. If it makes you feel any better the world has constantly went through changes like this from Jesus' time to back to the ancient Egyptians/Greeks to when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. but back then it was hard to explain what these earth changes were.
The earth is actually pretty strong when change comes with earth quacks, tsunami's and maybe (decent size) craters like in the past. the problem is living things of the earth including us can die from it, but the earth always finds a way to renovate itself through the centuries. same as its natural for us humans to get sick with a cold or bad flu once in a while, the earth goes through its own shakes and quakes too. its actually pretty natural, and has been going on before us humans started attacking earth. dinosaurs became extinct from it, which makes me wonder about us humans..., but i think earth itself will go on for a long time. noone really likes mentioning that side of it though. but i believe we humans will go on for a long time yet too, as well as the sun and the moon.

I hope everyone is okay in ALL those regions that get hit the most. its sadly where you live. its unfortunate.

Tsunami warnings across the Pacific

The biggest tsunami warning in history was marked by alarm sirens, panic buying and mass evacuations across the Pacific, eastern Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

By Philip Sherwell in New York

tsunami1_1587313c.jpg
Boaters at the quay in Honolulu loaded up with supplies and sailed their vessels offshore where they would be better able to ride out the waves Photo: AP

hawaii1_1587280c.jpg
The PTWC issued a tsunami warning, its highest alert, for the entire Pacific region Photo: AP

The Chilean earthquake triggered a tsunami that radiated across the Pacific basin and swamped the island chain that inspired the story of Robinson Crusoe.
The warnings came barely five years after the 2004 Asian tsunami sparked by an underwater quake off Indonesia inundated coastal communities with waves up to 100 ft high, claiming an estimated 230,000 lives.
Chile's Juan Fernandez islands, about 400 miles off the coast, were the first to feel the full force of the tsunami and "serious damage" was reported.
The chain includes Robinson Crusoe island, named after Daniel Defoe's protagonist, and another named after Alexander Selkirk, the Scottish sailor on whose real life experiences the novel is said to be based.
Michelle Bachelet, the Chilean President, said an evacuation of coastal areas on Easter Island, the Chilean territory famous for its monumental statues, was launched as the tsunami approached.
Unlike during the devastating Dec 2004 tsunami, emergency officials across much of the Pacific had several hours to prepare for the impact and arrange evacuations.
"We've got a lot of things going for us," said Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre (PTWC) in Hawaii. "We have a reasonable lead time. We should be able to alert everyone in harm's way to move out of evacuation zones."
In Hawaii, supermarkets were packed during pre-dawn hours as people stripped the shelves of bottled water, basic foodstuffs and other essentials such as water. Cars lined up 15 deep at petrol stations.
Locals and tourists began to evacuate beachfront communities and hotels as the first warning sirens were sounded at 6am local time, five hours before waves of up to six feet were expected to hit.
Boaters at the quay in Honolulu loaded up with supplies and sailed their vessels offshore where they would be better able to ride out the waves rather than risk being battered at shore.
Nervous cruise ship passengers were also assured that while tsunamis can turn into colossal waves near land, their impact out at sea is limited.
The PTWC issued a tsunami warning, its highest alert, for the entire Pacific region, including countries as far away as Russia and Japan.
California and Alaska were issued a separate tsunami advisory.
New Zealand also issued a tsunami alert, warning of a wall of water up to 10 feet high. The National Crisis Management Centre warning said the greatest wave heights were expected between six and 12 hours after the initial arrivals.
Waves up to six ft high struck parts of French Polynesia and residents were warned to remain vigilant as tsunamis can consist of several surges and the first is usually not the strongest.
Several Chilean coastal towns were pounded by waves up to nine feet high during a holiday weekend when many people are on holiday at the beach for the official end of summer.
Residents and tourists on Ecuador's Galapagos archipelago - where Charles Darwin conducted research that led to his theory of evolution - were moved to high ground before unusually strong waves struck the shore.
Dr Brian Baptie, British Geological Survey's Head of Seismology, explained why most of the Pacific region would have time to prepare. "Tsunami waves in the deep ocean travel at about the same speed as a jet plane and would take about 15 hours to reach Hawaii and about 20 hours to reach the other side of the Pacific," he said.
Dr David Rothery of the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the Open University, said: "A magnitude 8 quake is a rare event. On average there is only about one of these per year, globally. This one was caused by the floor of the Pacific Ocean being pushed below South America. Because the epicentre was under the sea, the sudden jerking of the sea-floor displaced water and triggered a tsunami."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...2468/Tsunami-warnings-across-the-Pacific.html

I just saw on CNN, first they said this earthquake was 800x stronger than the one that struck Haiti, then they said it was 500...Im cunfused but it is still A LOT stronger...and many countries around the Pacific Ocean are in alert and may be hit by the tsunami...
This is so tragic...I'll be praying for everyone in danger...

"The planet is sick...like a fever. And if we dont fix it now, its at the point of no return." - Michael Jackson
Hi Telha :bye: Haven't seen you in a long time here :hug:

500 times stronger??! That's huge! I only heard it was 50 times but five hundred :no:

Has the tsunami hit anywhere yet?

I'll keep the Chileans in my prayers.

Just heard that there had been another earth quake in Argentina with a magnitude of 6.8, which geologists consider to be not connected to the earth quake in Chile. At least one child has died there when it got hit by a collapsing wall.
OMG! :angel:

Last edited:
Prayers going out to those in Chile and those who may be affected by the tsunami. I hope PCR is ok. :pray: With all these earthquakes, I get scared California will be next. :bugeyed. We're due for one.

i'm not going to pretend i know what to say anymore.cus i don't know what to say anymore..

*helpless, but praying*

This is scary, hoping and praying that the countries on tsunami alert dont feel any catastrophic effects. The world is struggling. Michael was right.

So far so good in Sydney. We aren't expecting anything more than maybe a bit bigger waves and some choppy currents. They did close the beaches but you know how people are... they are still in there swimming.

I hope Hawaii is okay. The water is really moving over there. My thoughts go out to the people of Chile... that quake looked to be terrible :(

Guys, you are great, you know?
My family (here in Santiago and also in the South of the country) and me are all doing well. ANd you can tell this is a miracle. Now that I have had a chance to see some more reports (no electricity, no phones, no internet for hours and hours), I truly and deeply believe it it is such a huge miracle.

The situation is terrible.

Geeezz... I have lived another earthquake years ago (8 grades) and of course several 5 or 6 grade movements, in Chile there are earthquakes and volcanos every now and then, so we are sort of "used to" it, but truth is you are never ready enough.

But this thing.... MY GOD... it has been the most powerful thing I have ever felt and it was like never-ending. For us it was like some 3 minutes, which such a huge noice coming from the ground, I could hardly hear to my parents as we were all holding each other out in the yard, praying for this to end. A nightmare, but thanks Jehovah we are all fine.

But not my country.... for now, there's a lot of confusion, the country is calm, but it is just because we are now getting to understand what has really happened. And it's terrible. This was way stonger than the one of Haiti, much, much more and there was also tsunami. Our country is used to earthquakes you hopefully victims shouldn't be that much, but... then... I have just seen on tv some footage from the South of the country, in the coastal cities.... OMG... A SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF A STREET, AND A HUGE TV, AND THEN ANOTHER BOAT BY A TREE!!!

Sorry... I am watching this right now, the earth keeps moving over and over again and we can only wait and pray our people will be helped and rescued.

Sorry, this is really very random talking, but you know, I am quite nervous.

Wwowow... I read one of you have a friend in academic exchange in Chile, if so, you can PM me, so I could try to help you find about him/her (that's my field).

Love you and to be honest, very, very honest: I HAVE FELT YOUR LOVE!!! I know this might sound silly, but I give you my word I have felt your thoughts and love. Wowww, I am so shock, but it is true. Good think in my case is that last night I was enjoying my Opus and Michael-ing late at night, so I went to be to 3:15... and the earthquake began just minutes later, at 3:36, so I was still rather awake so I could react quickly, get my lap (all my info and job is here!!) and wake up my parents.

Geeeezz!!!

I had to left, there was another aftershock, very strong, and as I write, the earth keeps moving. I am leaving for a while.

Love you all and thanks for your love!!!!!!

OMG, so good to hear you're ok, PCR!!! :huggy: :heart: And also that your family is well, that's a big relief!

My best friend's father is currently in Tonga, and she hasn't heard anything from him, she has no way of contacting him. :( I'm sure the tsunami has already hit Tonga, but I don't know how high the waves were there. I hope the waves weren't as high as predicted at first..

I'm so glad you're ok PCR! :hug: We've all been thinking about you since we heard. It sounds terrible. :( Much love and support to your country, you're all in my prayers.

OMG Thank God you are okay PCR!! :hug: When I first heard of it I was so worried you would get hurt. Was watching the news forever to get any info about your area. Just seeing the destruction and thinking about the worst things are making me scared. I hope and pray everyone will be ok in Chile and all the countries that have warnings. :pray:

But this thing.... MY GOD... it has been the most powerful thing I have ever felt and it was like never-ending. For us it was like some 3 minutes, which such a huge noice coming from the ground, I could hardly hear to my parents as we were all holding each other out in the yard, praying for this to end. A nightmare, but thanks Jehovah we are all fine.

But not my country.... for now, there's a lot of confusion, the country is calm, but it is just because we are now getting to understand what has really happened. And it's terrible. This was way stonger than the one of Haiti, much, much more and there was also tsunami. Our country is used to earthquakes you hopefully victims shouldn't be that much, but... then... I have just seen on tv some footage from the South of the country, in the coastal cities.... OMG... A SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF A STREET, AND A HUGE TV, AND THEN ANOTHER BOAT BY A TREE!!!

Sorry... I am watching this right now, the earth keeps moving over and over again and we can only wait and pray our people will be helped and rescued.

I had to left, there was another aftershock, very strong, and as I write, the earth keeps moving. I am leaving for a while.

:no: :better:

From Major Love Prayer:

PLEASE JOIN US SUNDAY AT THE USUAL 'Major Love Prayer' TIME FOR A WORLDWIDE GROUP PRAYER/MEDITATION to send help, compassion and comfort to all those affected by this tragedy. The time is February 28th at 7pm (19:00) in Santiago and Concepción. In the US 2pm Pacific/5pm Eastern and in Europe 22:00 UK/ 23:00 CET. (Time in other locations)

In addition to our love and well wishes, we can help in other important ways. Google has introduced a special page (Google: Support Disaster Relief in Chile) on which you can quickly donate needed funds to Unicef and Direct Relief International. CNN also has a wonderful list of legitimate charities acceptiong donations and other ways in which you can help at CNN Impact Your World. Let us impact our world by never forgetting to spread L.O.V.E. Thanks, everyone.

+ Join this prayer event on Facebook

http://www.majorloveprayer.org/2010/02/chile-earthquake-prayer-and-how-to-help.html

My family (here in Santiago and also in the South of the country) and me are all doing well. ANd you can tell this is a miracle. Now that I have had a chance to see some more reports (no electricity, no phones, no internet for hours and hours), I truly and deeply believe it it is such a huge miracle.

Geeezz... I have lived another earthquake years ago (8 grades) and of course several 5 or 6 grade movements, in Chile there are earthquakes and volcanos every now and then, so we are sort of "used to" it, but truth is you are never ready enough.

Wwowow... I read one of you have a friend in academic exchange in Chile, if so, you can PM me, so I could try to help you find about him/her (that's my field).

Love you and to be honest, very, very honest: I HAVE FELT YOUR LOVE!!! I know this might sound silly, but I give you my word I have felt your thoughts and love. Wowww, I am so shock, but it is true. Good think in my case is that last night I was enjoying my Opus and Michael-ing late at night, so I went to be to 3:15... and the earthquake began just minutes later, at 3:36, so I was still rather awake so I could react quickly, get my lap (all my info and job is here!!) and wake up my parents.

Geeeezz!!!

PCR..I am so happy that you and your family are safe...Bless you..:hug:

PCR, I'm very happy you and your family are safe. I am keeping Chile in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if you need anything. We are here for you. :better:

Laura L., I hope your best friend will be able to contact her dad and that he is ok. I'm keeping positive thoughts. :better:

mjbunny, great idea about he prayer. I'm planning on attending if I'm not called out through the Red Cross as I'm on call. Even if I'm out, I will partake as much as I can or at least say a prayer at the same time. Nonetheless, many others will be there to send the waves of love and light. :wub:

Peace and love...:angel:

Oh PCR babe. when i heard this on the news this morning its was ...oh no, not again, then i thought of you... geeze girl i'm so glad to see your post. My thoughts are with you and your family and your country.
Also.. PCR . please can you tell us your first name, PCR seems so impersonal....
Be safe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok this is freaking me out. Everything started with the Tsunami in Srilanka few years ago, I had a pen-pal from there and I never heard from her after that incident. :( I'm hoping for the best, but a couple of years have passed and I still dont know what has happened. Anyways...

Do y'all think we are actually closer to the "end?"! When ever i watch the "end of the world" movies, this is what happens...it starts at one place...then continues in other places...

My grandma is always praying and telling me and my whole family to pray for the world...and that maybe if we pray hard enough, God will get us through whatever he has planned. This world is so materialistic that people are destroying other people for $$$. It is the worst thing that could ever happen. It happened to Michael, and he was the kindest, purest and loving person i've ever known...:heart:

My prayers is with them.

L.O.V.E.
Romi

There is quite alot written in the bible concerning earthquakes. I can send you a link to something that you might find iinteresting to read?
Your grandma sounds like a very wise lady.:yes:
I agree that this world is so materialistic that many have lost sight of the things that matter the most, and that is PEOPLE
!:scratch:
We destroy what we create. ( There must be more to life than this song comes to mind.) Although earthquakes are a ''natural disaster''.......there are many other disasters which are directly from the irresponsible hands of man.:doh:
When we ever heed Michael's words?
It starts with us!!!

Hope your friend from Sri Lanka is ok Romi. :( Guess you wont ever know?
How very sad. Let me know if you would like that link by pm Romi. xxx

Geeeezz!!!

Thanx for the PM!

Please continue to stay safe!

Luv you much! :D

Just heard that there had been another earth quake in Argentina with a magnitude of 6.8, which geologists consider to be not connected to the earth quake in Chile. At least one child has died there when it got hit by a collapsing wall.
OMG! :angel:

Yes , that earthquake you're mentioning happened in Salta , in the North part of the country.As you've said a child and a man have died :(
Also the earthquake was felt like in another four places,not with that high magnitude , but people was freked out anyway.

What is happening with the world? I'm scared :cry:

PCR I'm happy to hear that you and your family are safe :) We'll continue praying :angel:

Back