If Michael isn't #1 in the UK...

please dont worry no sales will be lost, just get buying !!!

what do you think happens to all the sales from the other albums in the shops today (sunday) like take that etc, their sales also count on next weeks chart, all sales from sunday - saturday midnight.

please dont worry no sales will be lost, just get buying !!!

what do you think happens to all the sales from the other albums in the shops today (sunday) like take that etc, their sales also count on next weeks chart, all sales from sunday - saturday midnight.

Your right, buying today WILL count toward this weeks chart.

Some people are claiming that Sony selling the album today in some stores wont count but that just isn't true. Sales are counted Sunday to Sunday, its just most albums and singles are released on Monday.

I think they should release another single very soon despite of how "Hold My Hand" does... "Hollywood Tonight" would be a great single. To make the world dancing again.

Just did some research.

Take That's album "Progress" sold 165,000 copies two weeks ago. Last week they sold 200,000 albums (up 15%). Total sales are now over 1 million in the UK for this album, and it's now 2010's biggest selling album for the country. The album has now been #1 in the country for 4 straight weeks

Take That have appeared on X Factor tonight meaning their album could shift in excess of 200,000 again next week! If this comes true, MJ will not have a #1 album here unfortunately. Sony is predicting first week sales of 130,000 to 150,0000 for the new album MICHAEL.

The reality is... it is very unlikely a dead singer can beat a hugely popular band who is alive and promoting their album on the nation's most popular television show.

Regardless, spread the word if your in the UK. Let's make MJ #1!!

Just saw Take That (urgh!) on the X Factor (double urgh!).

Unfortunately this is GREAT publicity for them. I don't see MJ getting the number 1 album next week.

My goodness, idk lol call me optumistic but MJ'a album JUST came out...if you want it number one GO OUT AND BUY IT lol. It still has a chance.

It was never gonna happen was it - there is some big money changing hands somewhere for Take That to get this much free TV prime-time advertising! (wink)

It was never gonna happen was it - there is some big money changing hands somewhere for Take That to get this much free TV prime-time advertising! (wink)

Don't get me started.

Shouldn't really be all that surprised. The UK music scene is utter utter tripe. These days it would be more of an insult if he did top the charts sitting next to Michael Buble, Take That and Olly fucking Murrs.

If Michael isn't number 1 in Uk in which it will be sad,we can still hope he will be number 1 in Europe (European top 100 )and Usa.We will see how it will happen but if it doesn't happen ... :(

Free?
Really... do you think they do this... for free?
It's their job!!!! And I am quite sure they get very well paid for this little job of theirs. Besides, TT are quite famous so they have more people watching the show if they have this group.
Music industry is not about art, is about money :2cents: (which is ok, for it is their job).

I'm still going to keep the faith. Michael's already number 1 on the HMV chart and it hasn't even been officially released and the pre-orders have been massive. Sure Take That's X Factor appearance hasn't exactly helped but lets see.

Well... let's wait and see what really happens.
:flowers:

The reality is... it is very unlikely a dead singer can beat a hugely popular band who is alive and promoting their album on the nation's most popular television show.

Regardless, spread the word if your in the UK. Let's make MJ #1!!

It is very unlikely, but we have seen unlikely things from Michael before already. Michael is not just a "dead singer". He has the enormous fan base. He sold almost a million tickets for O2 concerts! And if it won't debut as #1, it's very possible it will be next weeks #1.

Sony has always underestimated Michael before the album release. I think it will sell more than 150 000 first week. Sony counts it always how much it "should" sell.

Quite a lot of fans are buying multiple copies, so I'm sure it will sell more than Sony expect.

It is very unlikely, but we have seen unlikely things from Michael before already. Michael is not just a "dead singer". He has the enormous fan base. He sold almost a million tickets for O2 concerts! And if it won't debut as #1, it's very possible it will be next weeks #1.

Sony has always underestimated Michael before the album release. I think it will sell more than 150 000 first week. Sony counts it always how much it "should" sell.

Indeed. It's all up to the fans, now -_-

Why SONY didn't predict that TT will fight and use anything to become number one?
Because they were so sure for x-mass number one because of presale numbers?
And by the way - what is going on with arcticles that Michael sold more than TT in only presales time? - was that true or just another rumour?

It is so importent to be on the top of the charts - imagine the media respond if MJ will be only number "2".
SONY gave us in UK huge poster - great, but maybe they should buy some ad time during xfactor....

On the other side people are now looking for xmass presents and can You imagine better christmas gift than MJ?
This is something new, something special no matter if you are 10, 15, 25 or 40 years old!
What is TT target? I don't think so if they can be xmass gift for everyone ......

Do You remember when Invincible came out and who was than number one? Kyile - and she was huge not only in UK but everywhere so it was much harder to win with her.

So maybe (I hope for sure) there is still a big chance to make Him number one.

Come one UK fans do something

I'm going to buy in Polnad tomorrow 3 copies )))))

On the other side people are now looking for xmass presents and can You imagine better christmas gift than MJ?
This is something new, something special no matter if you are 10, 15, 25 or 40 years old!
What is TT target? I don't think so if they can be xmass gift for everyone ......

Take That appeal to 10 - 40 year olds too.

I think Michael will sell around 200,000 copies in its first week over here. Fingers crossed anyway :)

Take That appeal to 10 - 40 year olds too.

I think Michael will sell around 200,000 copies in its first week over here. Fingers crossed anyway :)

LoL... Take That fans must be so proud MJ fans are so worried about the group they love!! :toofunny:

But let's face it: the guys are quite famous over this country. Michael is classic, anyway :) And anyway, this is not about doing better than some other group, but about the album doing well for the right reasons. If the music is good, it should do good. I mean... well... that's the way things used to be... not sure if that is the case anymore, anyway. That "wipe-my-head" song makes me wonder what pushes people to buy music these days :mello:

LoL... Take That fans must be so proud MJ fans are so worried about the group they love!!

We can also think: How much Take That has to afraid to loose their number one for MJ and They sing the whole weekend at factor show :)))

I think promotion is the most important aspect of sales now not the quality of music
the shitty Will I am track was no 17 before they performed on X FACTOR last week and topped the chart this week after the performance.Will SMITH's daughter did a lot of promo as well and was no 2 on the charts,

We can also think: How much Take That has to afraid to loose their number one for MJ and They sing the whole weekend at factor show :)))

Well... there used to be a time when EVERYONE in the industry was scared to death to know certain "Michael Jackson" was to release a new album, video, single, whatever the same week they wanted to realease any new material. So much that even to this day one of your greatest achievements are those dealing with somebody doing "better than Michael Jackson".

- Gaga having "more friends in FB" than MJ...
- Biber having "more views" on YouTube than MJ...
- TT selling "more tickets" than MJ...
- This person being more searched for in Google than MJ...
- etc

You name it. Funny thing is Michael Jackson remains the KEY reference to all this little records. So I guess that means that Michael Jackson remains being someone quite BIG!

:)

This is how the chart rules here in the UK. It might be different where you live, so it's worth checking.

* If you personally buy multiple copies of the same album at the same time (all in one transaction and therefore all on one receipt) they won't count. I'm not sure what the threshold is, so these are just examples (for example It might be ok to buy 2 copies of an album at the same time, BUT PLEASE CHECK)

* If 20 fans go to the same store, form a queue and each buy one album one-by-one, the sales WILL COUNT toward the chart.

* If 20 fans go to the same store and one fan buys all the other fans one album each (i.e. 20 albums) on their own card, the sales WON'T COUNT toward the chart.

* If 20 fans go to the same store and each buy 5 albums on their own cards, none of them WON'T COUNT toward the chart.

* If 20 fans go to 5 different stores, buying one copy in each store, all sales WILL COUNT.

"1.0 Genuine Sales
All sales information used to compile the Chart must be recorded as a result of a genuine purchase by a genuine consumer.
No record company, distributor, retailer, Artist or other party should act or encourage others to act in any way designed to distort, or which has the effect of distorting the Chart by achieving a higher or lower Chart position for a record than it would otherwise achieve.
Actions which will be considered a breach of these rules include:

a) promoting the sale of any album by supplying a dealer with records by another artist free of charge or upon terms more favourable than would be the case but for that promotion;

b) purchasing albums or causing albums to be purchased other than as a genuine consumer purchase;

c) multiple purchases of albums on behalf of other persons,

d) interference with the operation of sales recording machines or other equipment or computer software used to compile the Charts or collect or collate its information or in any other way being a party to the submission of false or inaccurate data to the Chart compiler;

e) offering money or other benefits to a dealer contingent upon an album entering any of the Charts or attaining a minimum chart position;

f) procuring the sale of an album in conjunction with a non-related or excessive gift, ie which gives the consumer a product, voucher or benefit or anything else which is either unrelated to the album concerned or of a value in excess of the value of the record without that gift (value means normal retail price), where it is not an album and merchandise package as outlined in section 8.0.

g) any other activity intended unfairly to influence Chart positions.
- Where the Official Charts Company has reason to believe that an album is the subject of any of the above types of activity, it will, at its discretion, either remove identifiable irregular sales transactions from the data used to compile the Chart, or exclude the record from the Chart with immediate effect.
- The Official Charts Company´s nominated chart compiler will ensure the accuracy and completeness of any sales information provided to it by a retail outlet in the sample to the extent it is possible to do so using Good Industry Practice. Where the nominated chart compiler has reason to believe that the inclusion of sales from a retail outlet or a number of retail outlets maybe inaccurate, misleading or incomplete and run contrary to the guidelines expected by a skilled and experienced market research firm, then the store(s) in question will be excluded from the sample to avoid potential distortion.
- If an album is excluded from the Chart, the Official Charts Company will inform the record company, distributor, ERA and the BPI in writing on the first working day after the exclusion takes effect. If unusual or irregular sales transactions cause the Official Charts Company to remove data from the Chart sample, the Official Charts Company will inform the Secretariat of the BPI and/or ERA, as appropriate, on the first working day after the data is removed.

------

The point is: Buy your copies at different times. Maybe go buy one at Wal-Mart, order another from Amazon, buy another from Best Buy, go into HMV and buy another one, or just come back to one of these stores another day and buy it.

Don't buy multiple albums at the same time because they will be discounted from chart statistics and therefore won't count...

Discounting sales due to bulk buying is a an attempt to prevent chart corruption. If many albums are discounted by the charts company due to bulk buying, that can reduce the chart position of the album, particularly where there is close competition between artists. In an extreme scenario, Artist A could sell way more copies of an album than Artist B, but because of chart rules (sales discounted because of bulk buying), Artist B could have the No.1 album in that country, not Artist A.

Thanks to bobmoo79

^ this is ridiculous. I am buying several copies of Michael because I will give them as stocking stuffers. We have 10 stockings to fill....I have to go back to the store 10 times to get my stocking stuffers???

What about companies buying in bulk to gift their employees??? 1 CD should equal 1 sale. Whether buying in bulk or not.

Do we know if the same rule apply in America??? I hope not, because I ordered several "Michael" on Amazon.com. Buying each individually would cost me more than half the album price in shipping.

Isn’t it more important for this album to be #1 in the USA so it can be labeled as a “#1 album” regardless how it does in other regions?

^ it will go #1.

The only competition in the US is Susan Boyle who will sell 250,000 copies. MJ's projections are 400,000.... even if it were to underperform it'll still beat Boyle. So a #1 in the US is almost a guarantee

Is the album released everywhere today or is it just HMV (as advertised) in the UK? I was just in Tesco and the album is "not out yet" accrding to the unhelpful woman in the store.

Back