Just in: MJ Tribute in Vienna postponed to mid-2010 in London

I was looking forward to a way of celebrating Michael period. It didn't have to have the biggest stars of the world for me to enjoy it. I guess it was just something I needed to beable to do, enjoy a tribute and celebrate the Michael. And now there is nothing. I will not look forward to the London tribute. I think it would have been beautiful in the original setting. But I am sure all the London fans are happy.

For those that bought airfare etc I am sorry, this truly sucks for you.

You were hoping for the impossible! There was simply no way any tribute little own a proper tribute Michael deserves could of been planned in the amount of time Jermaine was hoping.

All the fans saw this as soon as he announced the tribute! We weren't being "negative" for no reason, just realistic hun.

Organizers cancel Jackson Vienna tribute concert

VIENNA (Reuters) – A scheduled Michael Jackson tribute concert in Vienna has been canceled and the event will be shifted to London next year, Organizers said on Friday.

Concerns over whether artists such as Mary J. Blige, Chris Brown and Natalie Cole would perform in Vienna had fueled speculation the gig would be canceled for lack of interest.

Organizer Georg Kindel blamed negative treatment by the Austrian media for the cancellation and told reporters that the tribute would be held at Wembley Stadium in London in June 2010, to mark the first anniversary of the pop star's death.

"The artists were disrespectfully treated as B-list artists by the media," Kindel said.

Tickets for the Vienna concert will be refunded, he said.

Vienna city council said earlier on Friday it would not support the concert. Organizers had hoped the city would provide up to 600,000 euros ($876,200) in funding for the event at the capital's Schoenbrunn castle.

"A cancellation is better than something that is bad and that doesn't interest anyone," said Robert Nuernberger, spokesman for the Vienna tourist board.

Organizers had expected artists to reinterpret Jackson's greatest hits including Billie Jean, Thriller and Bad, in front of an audience of 65,000. Tickets had been on sale for 63 to 518 euros ($91-$745). It was not certain how many tickets had been sold.

Tickets for the London concert will start at 44 pounds ($73) and the line-up will be announced in December.

(Reporting by Petra Spescha and Alexandra Zawadil; Writing by Sylvia Westall; Editing by Paul Casciato)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090911/music_nm/us_jackson_tribute

Well when he arrived in London the other day there was speculation that he'd be announcing an extra London tribute...and he didn't... but now look whats happened!

Good on one hand, bad on the other [for those who already had tickets/hotels/flights].

Wembley is a great choice too, better than the o2.

It's really bad for fans who wanted to go and will lose their money now.
I feel for you guys!

Also the preparations done YET are for sure to pay by someone... wondering if Jermain will try to get that money from the estate now... I've felt a bit the whole time Jermaine is used by others and not really always looking through stuff sometimes that far that things he said just didn't make sense... wondering who is pulling the strings really there... and I really hope Jermaine is not in really deep problems now and gets even more pressure?!

Last edited:
It's far more appropriate to have a tribute to Michael in 2010, because a tribute concert now would one too many at present.

Sorry for those affected by the change...

But I am glad of it :happy:
Wembley stadium is where I first saw Michael in concert so it being there will be special to me.

Now you've got a chance to do it over Jermaine, PLEASE don't make the same mistakes!!!!!!
Don't make it about the money......

I'm probably wasting my breath.

mary jay bulge had a fashion day?sorry jermaine i cannot come to the kings tribute concert because im getting paid to model,you know what they say about a pig in a silk shirt.

^^lol,omg jermoney!
new nickname I like it..

They say you should follow ur gutfeeling (they: I don't know who, but many!! lol)
and I had a BAD feeling about this tribute concert and did not book tickets..looks like I did the right thing.this was just meant to go wrong!
in such a little time it's just impossible and sorry but, vienna?
london is the best place to have a tribute concert for michael.

London is more reasonable than Austria MJ has had alot of History in that place and its only fitting to be there :). can we still buy tickets for it?

I'm so happy that Jermaine finally caved in and realised what's best for his brother and his legacy, his family, fans, and industry colleagues and honourees. Now this event is starting to look like something I'd actually want to attend.

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: If Michael is to be honoured he has to be honoured by those who come closest to being his peers (age and success wise). And they are:

Madonna
Prince
David Bowie
Diana Ross
Cher
Tina Turner
Liza Minelli
The Rolling Stones
Janet Jackson

I'd put Paul McCartney but I guess that won't happen. Aretha Franklin doesn't like to fly, I think, so she probably won't be doing it. The rest of them just have to, there's no excuse. I know Prince is private and all that but he should also understand that he's the only Prince in the world and hence the only one who has the power to honour Michael the Prince would.

I'm so happy that Jermaine finally caved in and realised what's best for his brother and his legacy, his family, fans, and industry colleagues and honourees. Now this event is starting to look like something I'd actually want to attend.

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: If Michael is to be honoured he has to be honoured by those who come closest to being his peers (age and success wise). And they are:

Madonna
Prince
David Bowie
Diana Ross
Cher
Tina Turner
Liza Minelli
The Rolling Stones
Janet Jackson

I'd put Paul McCartney but I guess that won't happen. Aretha Franklin doesn't like to fly, I think, so she probably won't be doing it. The rest of them just have to, there's no excuse. I know Prince is private and all that but he should also understand that he's the only Prince in the world and hence the only one who has the power to honour Michael the Prince would.

I agree!!!

Madonna
Prince
David Bowie
Diana Ross
Cher
Tina Turner
Liza Minelli
The Rolling Stones
Janet Jackson

Agree! Agree! Agree!

Well said.

Back