May 20, 2008 (Big Star to be in tomorrow's American Idol Performing,says Paula Abdul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon Movers & Shakers - Past 24 Hours (Updated Hourly)

May 22, 9:00PST

#1 - George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1 (2,234% Increase In Sales)
#2 - George Michael - Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (2,179% Increase In Sales)
#3 - George Michael - TwentyFive (1,375% Increase In Sales)
#4 - George Michael - Faith (881% Increase In Sales)
#6 - George Michael - TwentyFive (876% Increase In Sales)

No matter what people think of American Idol or the performers who appear on it, the series remains one of the most powerful promotional mediums on television. :yes:
True, but that increase can be so deceptive though, esp whe we don't know what it was increased from. ie, 100% increase of 2 = 4.

first of all, i know Paula Abdul was cleverly keenly aware of what she was doing, when she made that 'flub'..and she knows she earned her paycheck. i am sure the ratings spiked, no matter who ultimately performed on ths show. i saw the peeps here who normally don't watch, who watched, this time. i saw them mention it in their posts. second of all...MJ already got the promtion he needed by Paula 'flubbing'.

Is it really losing steam? I thought it was still massive in the US.

Oh, it's still easily the #1 show on TV. Neil Diamond finally got his 1st #1 album in his long career because he did the show. And before him Maroon 5 got a nice sales bump from doing the show. Like it or not, there's not a show on TV that gives you a bigger sales boost than this show.

Do the show = huge sales bump.

From TVGuide.com

American Idol's Season 7 finale kicked off the night with 24.73 million total viewers and announced its winner at 10:01 pm to 36.34 mil — averaging 30.6 mil across the two-hour run. That represents a nearly four percent increase over last year's final results show.

yes, what flipping song was that ?? I knew it seemed familiar but it sounded odd at the same time. What song is that and who has sung it before ?? Please and thank you :)

So he didn't show up...boo hoo, we all knew that he wasn't going to anyway.
Come on, it's Michael Jackson not Chris Brown...why the hell would MICHAEL F'ING JACKSON show up on AI?!

Exactly. AI is for washed up has-beens, and kaeroke wanna-bees.

MJ is too big for American Idol.

Last edited:
that was Praying For Time and it was a great performance.

i'll give AI credit for hyping up such performances and giving them a nice vibe. you wouldn't get this reaction in, say, Jools Holland's show which is much more dedicated.

So George Michael is now the worlds biggest star?

No offence to his fans, but he is NO MJ.

Exactly. AI is for washed up has-beens, and kaeroke wanna-bees.

MJ is too big for American Idol.

Well the fact that Mariah appeared on it 3 times this year, 2 of which were the week her album came out says it all. I agree MJ doesn't need the show, but I wouldn't think it was the worst thing ever if he did. Like it or not, even with "fallen" ratings this show is still the biggest show on tv.

Amazon Movers & Shakers - Past 24 Hours (Updated Hourly)

May 22, 9:00PST

#1 - George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1 (2,234% Increase In Sales)
#2 - George Michael - Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (2,179% Increase In Sales)
#3 - George Michael - TwentyFive (1,375% Increase In Sales)
#4 - George Michael - Faith (881% Increase In Sales)
#6 - George Michael - TwentyFive (876% Increase In Sales)

No matter what people think of American Idol or the performers who appear on it, the series remains one of the most powerful promotional mediums on television. :yes: Last night, some 31.7 million viewers tuned in.

Exactly. Thanks TSCM :flowers:

Not commercially viable? :blink:

Oh, it's still easily the #1 show on TV. Neil Diamond finally got his 1st #1 album in his long career because he did the show. And before him Maroon 5 got a nice sales bump from doing the show. Like it or not, there's not a show on TV that gives you a bigger sales boost than this show.

Do the show = huge sales bump.

From TVGuide.com

American Idol's Season 7 finale kicked off the night with 24.73 million total viewers and announced its winner at 10:01 pm to 36.34 mil — averaging 30.6 mil across the two-hour run. That represents a nearly four percent increase over last year's final results show.

Thanks for the stats :cheeky:

Well the fact that Mariah appeared on it 3 times this year, 2 of which were the week her album came out says it all. I agree MJ doesn't need the show, but I wouldn't think it was the worst thing ever if he did. Like it or not, even with "fallen" ratings this show is still the biggest show on tv.

Sorry to souble post, but that's exactly my point. :yes: :clapping:

I agree with everything you stated. I enjoyed the finale last night.

Thanks Bee, :clapping:
I'm glad that you like my post but I do have one thing to say about GM.
He didn't look well to me lastnight.I know he doesn't look like he did when he was younger but Something I found scary when I look at him. I hope he's feeling well.:timer:

I agree with everything you stated. I enjoyed the finale last night.

Thanks Bee, :clapping:
I'm glad that you like my post but I do have one thing to say about GM.
He didn't look well to me lastnight.I know he doesn't look like he did when he was younger but Something I found scary when I look at him. I hope he's feeling well.:timer:

He has a cold. :)

I hear what your saying, but when has Michael Jackson ever done what everybody else is doing. For that reason alone, I can see him never gracing the American Idol stage.

As to the 30-odd million viewers, I TRULY believe that Michael can pull that number all by himself, IF he ever decided to do a network special. I mean, IF he were to do a show in Vegas, one of the networks would love to broadcast that joint (live or recorded), because in my opinion, they would hit the ratings motherlode. LOL! And they all know it.

If I remember correctly, when Michael's 30th anniversary show aired on CBS, it went from 20 million to 40 million viewers, reaching it's peak when Michael himself came out. So... yeah, MJ doesn't need AI.

If MJ is smart he'll definitely use AI to promote his new album/single. I can't even imagine the crazy sales he'll get after a performance on AI, not to mention the great PR. He can achieve amazing results with just one performance on that show!

I only read a few pages of this thread and.......

Oh my God, It's really sad that you people continue to do the same thing over and over again when it comes to michael. I can't count How many threads are that have ended up like this, regarding bogus promises of michael to appear on a show and he doesn't. How sad. A Lot of yall need a straight up hobby. :doh:

and so it had to come to that:

Michael Jackson 'too scared to sing'
May 30, 2008

MICHAEL Jackson pulled out of a massive television comeback performance last week because of stagefright, according to a report from the UK.

Nerves have killed the dreams of countless numbers of wannabes on the Idol franchise around the world. They can now count Jackson as one of them.

Jackson was booked to perform at the American Idol finale last week, but dropped out with only 24 hours notice, The Sun has reported in London.

"I can’t do it. Everyone will hate me," he was quoted as giving as the reason for his change of heart.

The Sun quoted an unnamed "insider" as saying: "This was his big chance but he got stagefright."

The possibility of a Jackson appearance was let slip by judge Paula Abdul on American television in the lead-up to the final, the Washington Post reported.

Jackson's career comeback is reportedly being masterminded by ex-Spice Girls svengali Simon Fuller.

The Idol appearance would have exposed the singer to a live TV audience of around 30 million people, as well as millions more when the inevitable YouTube clips started surfacing.

The final was used to promote other comebacks including a new single for disco queen Donna Summer and new album from Bryan Adams and George Michael.

ZZ Top also turned up to play backing band to the eventual winner as he sang Sharp Dressed Man. Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jnr and Jack Black appeared in a cameo skit.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23783199-5001028,00.html?from=public_rss

why post this stupid false tabloid junkie story ? ^

because of free speech and the fact that it is everywhere this story... don't try to censor things like this its annoying... Let people talk for christ sake. This forum is becoming a cult!

someone who wants to read tabloid junk is a hater

also theres a tabloid junkie section on this forum where u can go and read as many tabloid stories as u like. no need to bring the trash on here

Last edited:
^ Not really. :lol: I used to collect tabloids with MJ in them in the 90's just so I could get the pics of MJ. :lol: Plus, the National Enquirer is really a comedy magazine IMO.

That story is going around like crazy today. As soon as it was published, about 5 or more other sites picked it up and I've had google alerts on it all day.

^ Not really. :lol: I used to collect tabloids with MJ in them in the 90's just so I could get the pics of MJ. :lol:

ok thats totally different. u would buy them for the photos. now that we have the internet we dont need them at all

u aint gonna stop me talkin bout sh*t, Roxanne, with ur 'hater' bs.

i hope that story in the sun's false, but who knows. michael woulda been a fool to pass up an opportunity like that...

Michael doesn't need any reality crap to appear somewhere....he needs nothing! He can cause chaos anywhere, they need him he doesn't need them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back