Michael's star power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Michael is still very much respected in the music industry, but I don't think he is an A-list celebrity at this point and time. When "Thriller" came out in the 80's, that album alone practically save the music industry and for that reason Michael was indeed an A-list celebrity. The "Bad" album and tour really solidified him as an A-List celebrity. But when Michael's lingering legal troubles started, that really hurt his star power to a certain extent. I'm sure that he still gets invited to all types of music industry functions through out the music business, but I don't think people are falling over themselves if he doesn't show up or participate in any activities. I don't think the magic is gone from Michael, but time is slipping and the music industry is forever changing. If Michael did a proper well organized comeback attempt, he will be welcomed with tons of open arms. He must keep PART OF HIS PERSONA. But changes must be made to the other parts or he will be a joke and that's no joke.

I think Michael is still very much respected in the music industry, but I don't think he is an A-list celebrity at this point and time. When "Thriller" came out in the 80's, that album alone practically save the music industry and for that reason Michael was indeed an A-list celebrity. The "Bad" album and tour really solidified him as an A-List celebrity. But when Michael's lingering legal troubles started, that really hurt his star power to a certain extent. I'm sure that he still gets invited to all types of music industry functions through out the music business, but I don't think people are falling over themselves if he doesn't show up or participate in any activities. I don't think the magic is gone from Michael, but time is slipping and the music industry is forever changing. If Michael did a proper well organized comeback attempt, he will be welcomed with tons of open arms. He must keep PART OF HIS PERSONA. But changes must be made to the other parts or he will be a joke and that's no joke.

I both agree and disagree. I don't think HE has to change, but there are things he will need to do different in the future to prevent further jokes of his personality, but most importantly new legal sues!

Michael did mistakes like any other person and he learned from them.I just want him to be himself, with that beautifull personality and great talent:)

Michael did mistakes like any other person and he learned from them.I just want him to be himself, with that beautifull personality and great talent:)

Amen to that!

Obviously Michael is an A-list star. If he isn't A-list, then nobody is. He's still the most famous human being on the planet. He still outsells the likes of Justin Timberlake and other hot, current stars. People still trip over themselves at the chance to just meet him, let alone work with him. To say he's not A-list is stupid. Just look at how the media reports on the most mineal things with him. He's as big as it gets.

Obviously Michael is an A-list star. If he isn't A-list, then nobody is. He's still the most famous human being on the planet. He still outsells the likes of Justin Timberlake and other hot, current stars. People still trip over themselves at the chance to just meet him, let alone work with him. To say he's not A-list is stupid. Just look at how the media reports on the most mineal things with him. He's as big as it gets.

Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan are just as famous as Michael Jackson throught out the world. People who don't follow golf know who Tiger Woods is. People who don't follow basketball know who Michael Jordan is. Both Woods and Jordan are currently A-List celebrities, their endorsement deals says it all. And people trip over themselves to see them too. And the media reports everything that they do as well. The media just shared with the world about Tiger Wood's newborn son. And the media reporting on Michael doesn't have anything to do with their love for him. Michael has done things that have drawn the attention from the media whether it's good or bad and they have cashed in big time. There are times when Michael does things and I don't hear anything about it or read about. If it's a slow news night, you might hear about Michael.

i think one of the most telling aspects of Michael's star power is something for which it is important to note Michael is NOT to blame. neither is it anyone else's fault. and while it may be uncomfortable to hear, for some, it is the truth.

the controversies. MJ's starpower is a device that people get entangled in and they get in trouble as a result of it. the bigger the star, the more the star seems to seep into every fabric of life.

what i mean is, for example..during the trial, the hospital put a woman aside for Michael's treatment, and the woman died, and we all know what resulted. and at the James Brown funeral, fans went hystserical for MJ, and it was as if their minds blacked out about the timbre of the event. can you imagine how Michael felt about the turmoil of how to decide whether to attend the event or not, due to what he must have known what would happen? is that his fault? no. is that the fans' fault? no. the starpower is THAT transcendant. no one can be faulted for that. and i'm sure JB would have appreciated that. how bout the chris brown incident of late, and other serious reports. the reporters can't help but mention the chris brown artifact that has nothing to do with the chris brown case. the reporters still can't help but to think of MJ, just because brown likes him. no matter how we feel about this, it is a testament to MJ's star power. here is the link. and it is post 73.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1784990#post1784990

also..MJ's star power closed down times square in 01. you don't close down times square unless you are the new year coming in, or the biggest star in the world.

news of the Pope came in second during MJ's trial.

no newspaper article ever leaves out MJ's name if there is any smallest tidbit that has even the most remote connection to MJ...no matter how big or small the media outlet is.

MJ is beyond A list.

Last edited:
Michael star powers is not gone but i do qgree since he hasnt donw anything in a while u dont have HIGh expectations for him now but hey u never kno! before he used to seem so unreal to me.....like not even a human just something so perfect and i used to just say wow after watching a youtueb video of him and image what i would do if i met him then i would probably get light headed...BUT NOT FAINT! LOL now i wont probably say i cant belive it a couple of times but thats about it....he seems so human to me now i se him goin to the store and stuff so its just not that amgical anymore!

Before I was thinking that if I saw Mj i would run up to him and be crazy. But today if I saw him in a pub I would probobly just say. WOW...it´s MJ!...and then not give ti more etention. maybe im just getting older?? ...hmmmm

Well to begin with. MICHAEL IS HUMAN. And second he will always have something magical about him because he is the MOST FAMOUS HUMAN ON EARTH. Everyone stops to watch MJ, no matter what.
When I watch MJ vids, my roomate even stops to watch because she is also in awe, she also dances and she's not a huge fan.
Michael still has the power, and magic. And everyone wants the comeback.

Really, Michael had become the most famous person on earth in the early 80s, before any real controversy began, when he was literally seen as a man child who didn't swear, or drink, or do drugs. He's the star he is because of his talent and his personality. That's the bottom line.

i think one of the most telling aspects of Michael's star power is something for which it is important to note Michael is NOT to blame. neither is it anyone else's fault. and while it may be uncomfortable to hear, for some, it is the truth.

the controversies. MJ's starpower is a device that people get entangled in and they get in trouble as a result of it. the bigger the star, the more the star seems to seep into every fabric of life.

what i mean is, for example..during the trial, the hospital put a woman aside for Michael's treatment, and the woman died, and we all know what resulted. and at the James Brown funeral, fans went hystserical for MJ, and it was as if their minds blacked out about the timbre of the event. can you imagine how Michael felt about the turmoil of how to decide whether to attend the event or not, due to what he must have known what would happen? is that his fault? no. is that the fans' fault? no. the starpower is THAT transcendant. no one can be faulted for that. and i'm sure JB would have appreciated that. how bout the chris brown incident of late, and other serious reports. the reporters can't help but mention the chris brown artifact that has nothing to do with the chris brown case. the reporters still can't help but to think of MJ, just because brown likes him. no matter how we feel about this, it is a testament to MJ's star power. here is the link. and it is post 73.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1784990#post1784990

also..MJ's star power closed down times square in 01. you don't close down times square unless you are the new year coming in, or the biggest star in the world.

news of the Pope came in second during MJ's trial.

no newspaper article ever leaves out MJ's name if there is any smallest tidbit that has even the most remote connection to MJ...no matter how big or small the media outlet is.

MJ is beyond A list.

Yes he is very famous!...but is he still a A-list? He is not always in the meadia anymore. and many of my frinds don´t even know the name of his latest CD!...even when it was just realest many people didn´t notice. Sure there are alwys fans that goes crazy. and he has many fans. but most people don´t care. that´s how I feel it....

Yes he is very famous!...but is he still a A-list? He is not always in the meadia anymore. and many of my frinds don´t even know the name of his latest CD!...even when it was just realest many people didn´t notice. Sure there are alwys fans that goes crazy. and he has many fans. but most people don´t care. that´s how I feel it....

his latest cd went number 1 around the world so many people noticed. and the fact that your friends don't know the name of it after eight years, is understandable but they still know who he is. that's A list. anybody else whose cd couldn't be named after eight years, wouldn't be noticed. plus, invincible was not promoted, and it still went number 1. that's star power.

Last edited:
Really, Michael had become the most famous person on earth in the early 80s, before any real controversy began, when he was literally seen as a man child who didn't swear, or drink, or do drugs. He's the star he is because of his talent and his personality. That's the bottom line.

Yeah. Well put!!

Well to say that Michael Jordan and Tiger whatever are as famous as MJ around the world is just ignorance.. No one know who tiger woods is my country... and people who are younger than 24 do not know who Michael Jordan is.

BTW MJ is an A-list celebrity, he is famous and people know who he is...that's not to do with the fact if he is more loved than others or not...

Well to say that Michael Jordan and Tiger whatever are as famous as MJ around the world is just ignorance.. No one know who tiger woods is my country... and people who are younger than 24 do not know who Michael Jordan is.

BTW MJ is an A-list celebrity, he is famous and people know who he is...that's not to do with the fact if he is more loved than others or not...

Michael Jackson is the most famous person on earth.

A questionary showed more people regoniced the picture of MJ than the picture of Jesus! - That's how famous he is!!

Michael Jackson is the most famous person on earth.

A questionary showed more people regoniced the picture of MJ than the picture of Jesus! - That's how famous he is!!

HAHAHAHA...sure :p

Of course Michael is still an A list celebrity. He's one of the biggest celebrities out there and he will be for a long time, even if he doesn't make another album people will still be admiring him for many years to come.

lawsuits against him and envy of him oozing out of every reporter's report about him, are also the most telling examples of his starpower. also, what's written in my siggy.

Fame is a burden...every single move you make is put under the microscope it's like you don't live for yourself anymore you live for other people. sometimes I can only feel sorry for people who have to deal with it on a daily basis it's like being trapped in a cage and you can't get out...sorry I don't know where that came from but I had to get it off my chest

Michael's not an A list star, he stopped being an A List Star in 1983when he did Billie Jean at the Motown 25, the Thriller video which turned Michael in to an Icon.

A list stars are pop stars and actors etc who are still attainable. Michael is an Icon in the true sense of the word and way above being an A List "Celebrity". Michael's so famous he can afford to do nothing for 8yrs. Michael doesn't need showbiz, it needs him. Because it's obvious there is a huge void in the music world, and that void is Michael. And that's way he will always regarded as an Icon. Michael is in the elite when it comes to being famous, and will be remembered forever, A Listers have to keep their profile up through out there career.

I think for example Madonna will be forgotten much sooner than Michael. It's that Michael is much more unique. Madonna is kinda "just another showwoman" if you know what I mean...

Michael's not an A list star, he stopped being an A List Star in 1983when he did Billie Jean at the Motown 25, the Thriller video which turned Michael in to an Icon.

A list stars are pop stars and actors etc who are still attainable. Michael is an Icon in the true sense of the word and way above being an A List "Celebrity". Michael's so famous he can afford to do nothing for 8yrs. Michael doesn't need showbiz, it needs him. Because it's obvious there is a huge void in the music world, and that void is Michael. And that's way he will always regarded as an Icon. Michael is in the elite when it comes to being famous, and will be remembered forever, A Listers have to keep their profile up through out there career.

Well said.... And I might add... If Michael was doing a lot of behind the scene in the music industry like helping with The Grammy camp, or working with the Recording Arts and sciences, one of the music Industry organizations, then he would be a A-List celebrity. But I don't know if he is involved in any of those things. I only hear about Michael when it has nothing to do with his music career and for that reason I don't think he is an A-list celebrity. Michael has made a huge contribution to the music industry and he should be more involved in helping shape the direction of the Music industry for the future and I don't see him doing that. I always hear about Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney and other artist that are involved in the behind the scenes of the industry and they get invited to everything. Michael should have been at the Grammys. Even if he doesn't perform, he should have been there. He is music royalty. And the other example why Michael isn't an A-lister because MTV had an award called the MICHAEL JACKSON VANGUARD AWARD and they have removed his name from the award. I live not to far from the elementary school that Michael attended her in Los Angeles, the Gardner school. The school district named the school auditorium the Michael Jackson auditorium in his honor and when he was accused in 1993 of allegations, his named was removed. He has been cleared of all charges and his name is still removed. So I have reasons to believe that he is not an A-list celebrity. But that doesn't mean that he can never be an A-list celebrity again... To hardcore Michael Jackson fans, yes he is A-list to you, but to others, he is not.

i've never heard of people trying to seperate A list from non A list on a celeb, besides MJ. if any other artist gets mobbed everywhere they go, people would say the whole world loves that artist. but with MJ, they try to seperate the fans from the general public and scrutinize and diminish his world dominance. that doesn't make any sense. He is better than an A list celeb, even in his sleep.

just because some may say negative things doesn't mean they aren't fascinated by MJ.

i've never heard of people trying to seperate A list from non A list on a celeb, besides MJ. if any other artist gets mobbed everywhere they go, people would say the whole world loves that artist. but with MJ, they try to seperate the fans from the general public and scrutinize and diminish his world dominance. that doesn't make any sense. He is better than an A list celeb, even in his sleep.

just because some may say negative things doesn't mean they aren't fascinated by MJ.

What are you talking about????? There are fans and then THERE ARE FANS. But that is not how a star makes the A-List.
And have it ever occured to you that some may be scrutinizing him with the hopes that he CRASH AND BURN? Hoping for a TRAIN WRECK??? I don't know about you, but I don't find that kind of scrutinizing acceptable as far as my love for Michael Jackson the performer. Negative reporting doesn't make him or any other star an A-list star. I hate it when the press reports negative stories about Michael Jackson. The more they do so, the more his A-List star powere dwindles........ Why don't you google who the current A-List stars are?

Last edited:
To me MJ is now a B list.Somehow tha magiv around him is gone. I can´t say what it is, but I think it ia after all the interview alle the meeting other producers, moving to another house that´s makes him so normal and boring. It wasen´t like that. and MJ is mpre known for his personallity than for his music theas days. dose he even make music anymore? or dose he want people like stragete to make it for him?

To me MJ is now a B list.Somehow tha magiv around him is gone. I can´t say what it is, but I think it ia after all the interview alle the meeting other producers, moving to another house that´s makes him so normal and boring. It wasen´t like that. and MJ is mpre known for his personallity than for his music theas days. dose he even make music anymore? or dose he want people like stragete to make it for him?
To me the magic is still there, Michael hasn't used it in a long time. And now when you talk to people about Michael Jackson, they will bring up the negative stuff about him before they will tell you what it is about his music they like. And I do hear people who loved his music in the past now say that I used to like him before he did this or he did that. My concern is that the music historians will talk more about his controversial life and they will just mention his contributions to the music industry.... And don't think music historians won't or can't re-write history... Just ask CHUCK BERRY, LITTLE RICHARD and a few others.

To me the magic is still there, Michael hasn't used it in a long time. And now when you talk to people about Michael Jackson, they will bring up the negative stuff about him before they will tell you what it is about his music they like. And I do hear people who loved his music in the past now say that I used to like him before he did this or he did that. My concern is that the music historians will talk more about his controversial life and they will just mention his contributions to the music industry.... And don't think music historians won't or can't re-write history... Just ask CHUCK BERRY, LITTLE RICHARD and a few others.

Who cares about music historians?they will always have diffrent opinion anyway. and who are they actually? moste people remember bad and thriller and maybe heal the world. no one talks about jam, scream ect. The ting with madonna ( and I dont even like madonna) is that she is cool. she represents a whole generation, and influence how they talk and dress, even when the music is not always the best. But MJ is not and will never be cool. I know it´s heard to say it. but let´s face it.
Only Mj fans, is waiting for mj´s music. everyone else has moved on. the prov if his latest CD. yes it sold many CD but it did not put a mark in history. and it was not cool.

Even though he hasn't had an album out in 8 years, and hasn't performed in 7,and then the trial and contriversy,do you think that Michael is still considered a A-List celebrity? How do you think the rest of Holywood will treat him when/if he makes his comeback?

that honestly depends on how you define your celebrity list.

Only for attention... Michael is certainly on top of every a-list still and always will be. The attention is where Michael appears.

Public relation wise... the accusations have damaged him. He'll not be seen as careless and glorified as he was before by officials of politics or business of any kind. There I could imagine he's not on an a-list anymore also.

Business wise... Michael is certainly more on an b or c list... too many slips in paying bills... too many slips in not caring about existing contracts etc. in his team... too many not at all trustworthy employers in his team... that's just not the best reputation.

Fancommunity wise... well I'm sure he has lost many fans in all these times. Times are getting fast... ppl want to be served... ppl want things to happen... and there's been lots of talk and words from Michaels representative side and also from him... but not much really happened lately. So to many he has probably lost his status somewhat.
add the scandalous handeling of his alleged antisemitic comments and following...add the desaster with the wma in London... that's all in all not a nice 'reputation'. But I also think to those fans who are still his fans he'll never lose his A-status. And he's obviously still also gaining new fans still cuz of his genius.

Please note...

...not at all I'm saying it's his fault! Just saying how I observe the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back