Official "Michael" Tracklist and First Single "Hold my Hand" Announcement

I am wondering if Quincy Jones or Bruce Swedien could shine some light on Behind The Mask and Much Too Soon, considering they were recorded around the time of the Thriller album.

"Behind The Mask" was a strong contender for the album THRILLER, however it had to be dropped due to legal reasons over the music.

• Behind The Mask (1979-1981) (Chris Mosdell, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Michael Jackson)
    Michael Jackson
    Original Instrumental Version by Yellow Magic Orchestra released in 1979 on their
    album SOLID STATE SURVIVOR which drew Quincy Jones' attention. Michael recorded
    his own version for the album THRILLER (1982), adding some extra lyrics and harmonies.
    Due to legal battles concerning the song's credits Michael couldn't release it.

• (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Pulse"
      (Album, Vinyl, 1985)
    • (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Behind The Mask"
      (Single, Vinyl, 1985)
    • (Cover Version, 4:46) Eric Clapton: "Behind The Mask"
      (Single, CD, 1987)
      (Album, CD, 1987)

muchtoosoonzoomedup.png
Thankyou so very much for posting this beautiful message :flowers:
Feels like Michael has given his blessings to the album :flowers:

Missing you so much my Angel of Light...and always sending you all our eternal love, blessings, appreciation :angel:This album shall be tremendously successful all around the world!!!:yes:
Amen

They just added him in later or 50 Cent recorded a rap at the time separate from MJ. I heard a clip of Monster - I'm gonna go ahead and say it sounded even less convincing than BN. Sorry to say.

same here
shame

Well, after so much time in the middle of this mess, with all the dissappointment and so on, I guess the only thing I can do is wait. Unfortunately, I hate BN, because it really brings me a lot of bad feelings. But I know that, according to all accounts, there are real MJ songs out there, so I can't but wait for those. And I will.

As much as it hurts me, I'll try to do my best to stop my own negativity, for ultimately, things are set on stone now by the Estate and $ony. And I really get nothing complaining over and over again. The thing is done. I will certainly give the album a chance. Sure I will. And sure I will get those tracks I believe to be real MJ.

Congratulations to those of you who are still excited. I'll try to join you, but this will take me a while, I'm afraid. The whole situation is very frustrating to me, I must say :depressed:

sony have a 7 year contract with no doubt x amount of albums as part of the deal. obviously they are gonna hold back songs for future albums.they obviously want to spread the better songs out rather than stick them all on the first album and the rest being poor quality.

Can i just bring this to you, what if the estate are leaving some tracks like 12 oclock etc and of course will i am to add some tracks to cd single releases whether digi or material , add some promo to new releases of singles to come from Michael album! Bet you all not thought of that even.
Terry

sony have a 7 year contract with no doubt x amount of albums as part of the deal. obviously they are gonna hold back songs for future albums.they obviously want to spread the better songs out rather than stick them all on the first album and the rest being poor quality.

And smart it is.

I would like it this way too.

Okay, I will give props to Sony and The Estate for having Much Too Soon as the closer. Not that I like much of what they do, but I will give them credit when I deem it necessary.

And maybe they can release it as a single come 6/25/11.

I'm so happy about the tracklist & Hold My Hand being the first single!

My wife's also!!!!!

My wife and i had 'Hold My Hand' sang by a Gospel-Choir at our marriage at a church!!!

'MICHAEL' will be GREAT! Counting the days till dec 10th!
(dec 10th is the release in germany, is this for sure anyone, korgnex?)

By the way great note from You Korgnex! Where do you get all those little gems?

Last edited:
Yeaap.

Might sound really ungrateful but I can't help feeling so, so disappointed that Blue Gangsta isn't there! :bugeyed

I am looking forward to the rest of the songs though.. I just got my hopes up for this song and I know I shouldn't have. Oh well..

I cannot wait to hear Michael's Behind The Mask :punk:

Okay, I will give props to Sony and The Estate for having Much Too Soon as the closer. Not that I like much of what they do, but I will give them credit when I deem it necessary.

And maybe they can release it as a single come 6/25/11.
Wow. That would be something. :cry: I wonder what the song is about?

the handwritten message could be so fake. everybody can fake it. seriously. i wished it was authentic.

"Behind The Mask" was a strong contender for the album THRILLER, however it had to be dropped due to legal reasons over the music.

• Behind The Mask (1979-1981) (Chris Mosdell, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Michael Jackson)
    Michael Jackson
    Original Instrumental Version by Yellow Magic Orchestra released in 1979 on their
    album SOLID STATE SURVIVOR which drew Quincy Jones' attention. Michael recorded
    his own version for the album THRILLER (1982), adding some extra lyrics and harmonies.
    Due to legal battles concerning the song's credits Michael couldn't release it.

• (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Pulse"
      (Album, Vinyl, 1985)
    • (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Behind The Mask"
      (Single, Vinyl, 1985)
      (Single, CD, 1987)
      (Album, CD, 1987)

Woa, woa, WOA!!!!!! So when I listen to Behind the Mask on "Michael" it's gonna sound like

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5lhnv0QD4

or THIS?!?! Not Eric's best, might I add...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8GbyF4OcM

You're always going to have to take the good with the bad. This is good news, don't get upset over the tracklist! They're releasing 6 more albums after this, everything you want released will get out sometime. I'm excited for the album and wish everyone else was too. I can't wait to hear all these songs.

No place with no name? :(

Might sound really ungrateful but I can't help feeling so, so disappointed that Blue Gangsta isn't there! :bugeyed

I am looking forward to the rest of the songs though.. I just got my hopes up for this song and I know I shouldn't have. Oh well..

These are the two I will miss. But hopefully we will get to hear them soon.

Tracklist looks fantastic, I wish DYKWYCA was on it.. hopefully that we will be adding it on as a bonus track ;)

just order my copy + the T shirt from the sony's site :punk: can't wait

Ideas for future MJ albums:

1. Off The Wall 30- do what they did with the special edition, except NO interviews. Demos or songs only.

2. Bad 25 (released in 2012)- again, no interviews, demos & full songs only

3. Duet album (Teddy Riley has twitted that this one is in the planning stages).

4. Invincible 10- Rodney Jerkins has been working on a project with MJ songs...maybe this is it???

5. BOTDF- Special edition: keep the 1st 5 tracks, maybe keep Scream Louder, replace the remixes with demos or unreleased material.

6. Album full of new/unreleased tracks like the "Michael" album.

7. Live album- don't pick live stuff from 1 era...do a "best of" live album, with MJ's best moments over his adult solo career.

8.Re- release This Is It- replace studio versions with the audio from the tracks being performed Live. (the way it should have been done in the first place)

Also, for the duet album...I think the estate needs to contact the Freddie Mercury estate and get those MJ/Freddie tracks polished and released. Hell have Teddy Riley and Brian May work on it together. If anyone knew Freddie the best, it was Brian.

In regards to Behind The Mask, let's not forget it was confirmed that Greg Phillinganes was working on this project. Now we know why.

Back