Old voice or New Voice?

Old Voice Or New Voice?

• Total voters
Honestly? I like his old voice more. And I am sure there are people who,not wanting to admit it, clicked on the "like both old and new better" ! Admit it lol! ;)

Anyway, I think his best voice was for example when he was really really young. And for example in his Off The Wall / Thriller era , I am sure he could have sang WHO'S LOVING YOU! But later...and NOW... don't think so. But it's not Michael to blame of course, no wonder if his voice "weakened" or "changed" a bit , cuz he never spared his voice, like for example Mariah Carey does now,with all the whispering and stuff,whereas she has one of the best voices ever...

u seriously think MJ can't sing Who's Loving You right now?

I think MJ's next efforts will prove you wrong. MJ's voice isn't weaker...it might be DEEPER, but he can still sing as smooth and as beautiful and powerful.

Michael still has his range. Range equels power people. He's in his vocal prime, that's no joke. His range is BIGGER now then it was when he was a child, lol.

For WBSS 2008 they used an old demo recording and we all know that in demos MJ doesn't use his voice at full power (the main example is Fall Again... if Michael had sung it properly it would have been a masterpiece). So I prefer the official version of WBSS.

My favorite albums are in the "new voice" but all my individual favorite songs are older :lol: So I definitely am at equality.

yeah..like he does in one more chance he can sound smooth..

and wbss.08.no struggle...people don't seem to appreciate the growl....

I'm not going to say he struggled on either OMC or the mix to WBSS. BUT if anything he doesn't seem to have a calm medium in either of those songs like he used to have in his songs. OMC, his voice is all over the place. This could be a different style or just what his voice was capable of at the time. As for WBSS, it's a short part of a song so it's hard to tell, but once again his voice was all over the place IMO. None of this is a bad thing but even on Invincible it seemed his voice was either a raspy growl or a high pitch. His smooth median voice from Thriller seems to be gone. When singers get older, the ability to hit certain notes or register at certain levels just disapears...it can happen to everybody even MJ!!

so you're telling me that in Hold My Hand he was raspy and struggling?

I'd disagree...MJ sounds young as hell on Hold My Hand. And Mj never sounds "all over the place" in any song, fact is that his rough voice is stylistic. speechless doesn't sound all over the place....it's extremely smooth. Maybe ur not used to his voice being slightly deeper now....and yes, his style is more aggressive...but there is nothing that says he can't sing smooth or hit notes that he "used to" (i wonder what notes those are lol). Check out in LWMJ when he's singing smile....or that footage when he was in the video store ( glittery jacket, surgical mask, telling fans he loves them more lol) and he was singing (later in the video he and a fan were singing Lost Children)...MJ can still sing crystal clear and wonderful.

But style preferences differ. To prove that I played TDCAU for my roommate and she was like "Wow, what's this? Is this Michael Jackson?" And i said yeah....she haven't heard much from MJ other than the Thriller album. she said, "Wooooww, I really like it! I never heard Michael sound so...aggressive. He always sings so soft and high pitched. Didn't know he had it in him!" LOL

Last edited:
HMH isn't raspy and he isn't struggling on it. OMC is all over the place when it comes to levels of his voice. I believe that song has areas modified by a computer a la T-Pain. I never said Speechless was all over the place. It just seems on many Invincible songs he was either raspy throught out the song or singing at a high pitch. The first 3 tracks are all the same for the most part. Whatever happens, and 2000 Watts were the deepest and raspiest his voice has ever been. Xscape was newer and for the most part it's all raspy then there's small portions where his voice is high, and those portions I believe are all computer modified. And once again, none of this is a bad thing, I don't think he's losing his voice, his vocal power or blah blah blah haha. I know how little stuff like that can set some fans off. haha

You have to be able to tell the differene between stylising and a loss of ability. Michael's voice is every bit as fine as it was before, but he's chosen in the last few years to sing with more agression and bite in his voice. He hasn't lost his range and he is technically in his prime. He's taken care of his voice. He can sing very high still. Michael's voice, on the first verse of "HMH" doesn't sound at all modified to me, and simply as clear as ever. T-Pain uses a device because he can't sing on key. Michael will never have that problem, even if he lost his voice. He's never off key unless he wants to be on purpose. He's too in tune musically to ever be off key.

How can we judge his new voice? He hasn't had a new song out in 7 years so theres no real NEW voice. To me I like it all. Hold my hand was nice for Michaels vocals but the production covered his vocals and layered them with Akons, so you never got the full benefit.

Well majority of the difference is the way he USES the voice..

And to me, my favoirte would have to be... If I had to pick..... I mean if I REALLY had to pick.... Not that it makes a big difference...... The Middle voice.. lol!!

I would say my favorite album based on vocals alone is Dangerous, because it is the album that he used the largest variety.. Showed his smooth, soft, rough, tough, high, low and all in between..

Not saying it's not my favorite album overall.. But vocally it's the most diverse, and ya!! lol!

For now anyways/.. ha ha

I voted for his new voice. Of course his voice as a kid and teen was astounding, but he's been incredibly unique as an adult artist. He's matured and done stuff with his voice not possible as a youngster.

The only exception in my book is on the song "Push Me Away". Other than that, I prefer his "new" voice (post-78).

I like his old and new voice equally. When you're a professional singer and in the business for as long as he is, your voice gets deeper and huskier. The thing is, it all goes down to how well you protect your vocal cords, so your voice wouldn't be also a damanged one, not only sounding deeper and huskier than when you was younger. IMO, he's done that very well.

His natural voice is not rough but I think it's changed over the years. Also he seems to like it rough for some tracks and I'd say, yea, like some pointed out, it's a part of styling.

Honestly, I hate simply going the route of "oh I love everything" in regards to Michael because im not the type that thinks hes just flawless like so many.

But, in this case I had to go with both. Lets put it this way. I like his higher pitch for the "pop" songs of the 80's and 90's. But with the album of Invincible his voice as grown deeper which is great for love or R&B songs.

Well... i DO prefer the old voice better but I think his new voice is great too :D I like the new maturity of his voice but the old voice has a soothing and gentle quality... :D

I wonder who put they never liked his voice ... odd.

Anyway, I put both just because that's just the way his voice turned out 25 years later. He was 25 then, 50 now. Frankly, I think we're all lucky he can still sing so well, even after he had noticible problems during the Dangerous and HIStory tours, etc.

I will say that once he added that grittiness (or whatever you want to call it) to his voice during the Bad era, he never really dropped it, except on his slow songs, and I wonder if all that aggressive singing didn't play a part in changing his voice.

Would you like to give MJ some tips for a new tour, because I listened to; TWYMMF
AND I heard a very good voice, and some high notes .. Is it perhaps because MJ condition had more and more energy?
If I go to the HISTORY TOUR look, it seems it just as if he is lazy by almost everything to playback .. Maybe he should go more to sport

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_9aU3PUkI&feature=channel

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDJD32Qd4E

He seems kinda tired here .. ^ but it still sounds great

I didn't vote because I had to read down to see what you meant by "old voice". I thought you meant his "little Mike" voice. All Mike is doing is lowering his register to sound more mature and manly.
I like all THREE voices.:yes:

Ticie,
The JACKSONOLOGIST

how can we depict which is old or new any way..old cud mean j5 - off the wall... or j5-bad...lol althi i voted ages ago i wanted to post lol

Last edited:
Back