One year since TII film released

jemini515

Proud Member
I just released that it was a full year ago since THIS IS IT was released in movie theaters. Have your feelings about the movie changed at all?

I saw it four times in the theater including opening night, and I felt close to Michael watching him on the big screen. Every time I cried, especially at the end, simply gushing tears. Now I feel quite numb when I watch the DVD though, if I can even bring myself to put it on. Without getting into a health/AEG/etc discussion, have your feelings about the movie changed with the passing of time? And how do you think it compares to the other MJ film projects or fit within Michael's legacy?

I can't believe it's been a year! I saw it once at the theatre and then a few times again when I bought the Blu-ray.

I find it much harder to watch now also. I don't know why, I think because I miss Michael more everyday.

In comparison to other MJ film projects, it's a very good documentary of course as it shows his creative genius but I find it less enjoyable, purely because of what happened next.

Saw Michael Jackson's This Is It a few times in the cinema. I always left the cinema, very inspired, but always very sad because the movie brings Michael back to life, then takes him away again. I have always hated the ending of the film, with Michael singing Man In The Mirror, then it ends half way through the song with Michael's arms stretched out like he's ready to go to heaven.

I bought This Is It on Blu-ray, DVD and on iTunes. I watched the film and various parts everyday until September. I manly watched it on Blu-ray because of the extras and better picture quality, and on my iPod Touch when traveling to work. But I do feel that in the long run that the film is too somber. I know it was made for us fans to be able to see what an amazing concert Michael was putting together, and for us also to be able to mourn Michael. But in the long run I think specifically the ending of the movie will make it too downbeat in the years to come.

On the extras, I think there is too much screen time given to Kenny Ortega etc talking about Michael. For example the Making of Smooth Criminal, there is really only a few brief shots of Michael, and the same with the extra Dancing Machine. I mean the shots of Michael are brilliant but not enough, and too much of others talking about Michael. I love Michael's performances on This Is It, especially Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Jam and Smooth Criminal. The film still gets high marks from because of Michael's performances, and screen presence. But in hindsight the film was released way too early and too close to Michael's passing, and only various performances should have been released us fans and the world could see what Michael was putting together. ie most of the footage should have been kept in a vault and not released for many years.

Last edited:
Cant believe its been a year, I still sit and watch it in amazement.

I went to see the movie on November 1, 2009. It will be a year on Monday. Wow, I really cannot believe it...

All of this still seems so fresh. :( His death, the memorial, the funeral, This Is It...

the movie made a crazy amount of money at the box office and even when it was released on blu-ray and D.V.D

Cant believe its been a year....

I have seen TII only 2 times.... and it makes me cry, because I miss Michael more and more everyday.

I saw this movie an insane nnumber of times in the theater. But I really like it. I just watched it again last week with my brother (he had never seen it before). I love watching it with new people because they are so amazed. My brother just kept remarking about the fact that MJ was 50 and was wiping the floor with the younger cats. Things like this make me feel good. It is bitter - sweet, though. But I appreciate that at least we have this.

I was thinking about this yesterday, it was a whole year ago that MJJC met at the o2 for TII. Although it was a hard day I took a lot from that day, a lot of bittersweet memories. I saw the film 3 times at the o2 cinema and watched the dvd a couple of times after it was released and then put it away and haven't touched it since. I tried to get myself to watch the dvd both yesterday and today after so long of not being able to...but just can't seem to yet, although I am sure, in time, I can enjoy it without the overwhelming sadness.

I haven't watched it since seeing it at the theatre last October. I can't take it.

Well I've wacth TII on on bul ray at the adult day care center where I vonteer at. Only 1time (not like 2 or 3 times) but anyway. When I saw the TII I was so suprised that Michael was a very healthy man to say at lest before his death can removed his mindful hearted person & to see that once you can started to see his moves he will always be like peter pan. But at the end I was crying a little bit... :(

I remember it like yesterday. I went on opening midnight, I saw it once at the theatres.

I actually find it harder now with more time that has passed to see it again and again on DVD. I hurts more now, than it did then.

The one thing that others mentioned- couldn't they show us more of Michael? I mean, there has got to be more footage of him speaking, discussion the progress. I don't need others to talk ABOUT him- I want to see HIM speaking.

Although people like Mr Moffat and Michael Cotten were lovely to listen to, they actually said more interesting things about him that related more to the actual person Michael- you could hear the love and respect.
Or Alex Al, great bassist- those are the people who had actual stories to tell, that gave me more insight than somehow Kenny Ortega gave me. I find that a bit odd.

Things like Michael being part of the dance auditions and what he might have said.
What were the things Michael was looking for, his face spoke volumes when checkin' out the female dancers- or the short clip that was leaked onto youtube, that wasn't even on the DVD.

Or things like Michael getting up and with his tenor putting every soprano to shame, describing how he wants Thriller..."High, ethereal voices". That is the inside I want, the inside to the vision he head.

I honestly felt like they thought the public is too stupid to value that kind of inside, so they kept it to the the "biggest hits". Which makes me a bit sad, because in the end it is the niche crowd that buys up every snippet. The big mainstream might be happy "another biggest hits", but there's plenty of that out there already.

Michael Cotten described him as a funny person- and they got him on tape laughing somewhere...

After watching TII I thought, geez, did Michael have a voice in there? 'Cause I sure heard plenty of Ortega, but not a heck of a lot of Michael.

But overall I am still happy that there is some kind of footage of him in recent years- I love to see him in real time, it somehow makes me sad to have to go back to the 90ies to see footage of him.
So I am grateful there is "real time" footage from his last year.

Last edited:
I only went to see it once at the theaters. Once I got the dvd I have only watched it like 3 times. I find it hard to watch it now. It crosses my mind to watch it but then I just don't do it. I just feel sad all the time.

It's been a year?!!?!!

Anyway, amazing movie, but they might as well change the title to "bittersweet". It's awesome.. But MJ wanted to give us so much more :(

I was remembering this yesterday(October 28) that it has been a year. Tomorrow on October 30, it will be a year since I saw it at the movies. However because October 30 was on a Friday, today feels like the day as well and I kept thinking of what I was doing last year. It made me realize not only that I'm sad that Michael passed away but I have this anger at that fact as well.

I only went to see it once at the theaters. Once I got the dvd I have only watched it like 3 times. I find it hard to watch it now. It crosses my mind to watch it but then I just don't do it. I just feel sad all the time.

I'm the exact same way....Sometimes, when I get a chance, I want to sit down and watch it, but then I just change my mind :( Maybe one day I'll watch it more...

I saw it twice in the theatre...once on Oct 28, and then three days later...Oct 31....and then when it came out, I bought it both on DVD and Bluray, and watched it everyday for like, a week....Mike's death hadn't sunk in until this time for me.....so...I haven't watched it since :(

Last edited:
Yep, on Wednesday night, around 10pm I was walking to the train to go meet my roommate in midtown and it hit me and I was like "One year ago today, at this exact same time, I was leaving my apartment in Brooklyn, on my way to Union Square to see TII - devastated, sad, nauseated, anxious and scared." It was strange. I remember exactly how I felt. I saw two (maybe three?) more times in the theatre after that. Then, when the DVD came out I watch it that night, a couple days after with my sister and a week later with my dad. But I haven't seen it since early February. I think it's time. =/ ...But whew am I gonna be a mess again! :(

(Sorry I didn't really answer your question - this was more like "Jewelia's TII story" haha. I'll come back after I watch it again.)

I can't believe it had been a year already. I am probably the only fan who has yet to see This Is It. I didn't saw it in the theater. And now that I have it on dvd I still have yet to see it. I guess I just find it to painful to watch it. I am crying now just thinking about wanting to see it. I am having a hard enough time as it is to deal with this depression I am still very much in over Michael. And if I see my This Is It dvd it is just going to make me feel even more worst. :sad: :boohoo:

On the one hand, time seems to have been flying by cause i still remember it like it was yesterday. At the same time, as contradictory as it might sound this has also been the longest and the toughest year ever, but it is slowly coming to an end, thankfully.

I saw the movie four times in the theater. The first one on opening day which was also my dad's 55th birthday. I came back home to bake him a cherry pie. It might have been my dad's bday, but it was me who got the biggest present that day lol. I enjoyed every single minute of the movie. There were sooo many treasures in it that it took me months to discover all of 'em.

The last night when i saw it, on November 12th, it was a completely magical experience - earlier that evening there wasn't any sign of potential snow, but just as i was walkin' out from the movie theater a most magnificent snow was fallin' peacefully from the sky. I was walkin' to the bus station on my high heel boots, with a grin on my face thinking of what i had seen and heard a few moments before and tryin' to catch huge, fluffy snowflakes on my tongue. :lol:

I haven't actually managed to watch it in full these days cause of other commitments, but i've been having the music video open up on google chrome automatically and every time they give it on radio, i have the sound from there and the image from youtube :)

:D :D :D

I got the TII DVD for some days ago. I watched it on my computer.. but the ending made me cry very much.. the ending was so magical and it made look like he is gone forever.. I mean the ending where the Earth girl hugging the earth, and where you see Michael's foot walking and suddenly spin around with his shoes .. then you hear his voice.. It made me miss very much. I miss him so much, I want to spend the rest of my life with him.. It's so hard without him.. everything is strange without him.. That movie made me miss him more and more.. I really want him... Gosh it's so hard to explain this feelings I have :cry:

I saw this movie an insane nnumber of times in the theater. But I really like it. I just watched it again last week with my brother (he had never seen it before). I love watching it with new people because they are so amazed. My brother just kept remarking about the fact that MJ was 50 and was wiping the floor with the younger cats. Things like this make me feel good. It is bitter - sweet, though. But I appreciate that at least we have this.

Same here, aside from the fact I can't longer watch it. I've tried, I've really tried, but I just can't. It breaks my heart so bad, that I can't take it. I watched 15 times on the cinema and I almost knew every word by memory, I knew the moves, his moves, his all, but I cried so much. In the end. In the beginning. I can't help it.

It's been so long since the premier. I was so very scared to see it, to really see what MJ was doing, how he looked. I will not go into the drama, but I would just point that I had this feeling he was working so hard for ME, as a person. I felt his love. I know this might sound totally ridicolous, but I really, really felt this love towards me, as a person, as an individual, not just as being a part of an huge wild crowd of fans.

He loved us so much. So, so much... and I miss him so much... I don't know why exactly, but these last days he has been in my mind all day long, with pain, with love, with sadness, with excitment... I don't know. It's been so long now... I should be feeling better.... well... I don't know anymore.

:(

Back