Something That Bugs Me: New Generation Not Appreciate....

c'mon guys thats not what she meant. lol. She means those who just started to like him for his FAME and not him MJ himself. Just to say yeahh hey im a MJ fan. I think this thread will be closed, soon xD.

c'mon guys thats not what she meant. lol. She means those who just started to like him for his FAME and not him MJ himself. Just to say yeahh hey im a MJ fan. I think this thread will be closed, soon xD.

Thanks. And yes they did know WTF I mean but they're being stupid
I hope this thread does get closed lol:clapping::cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks. And yes they did know WTF I mean but they're being [Bleep]
I hope this thread does get closed lol:clapping::cheers:

Well, to be honest, I'm sure no one was being [Beep] as you put it :D, but what you said was a little confusing. When I read it, I felt that you were saying, how is it possible for any younger person to connect with MJ considering their age. But that's like saying why would anyone connect with Disney or watch his wonderful work considering he's been dead for over 40 years? Or anyone for that matter. That's what's beautiful about Mike, he's timeless and I think his whole point was to make something that will outlast him and his physical life. But I understand what you mean now and I definitely saw some of thos people who just went to the film because that's what's hot at the moment..

Well, to be honest, I'm sure no one was being [Beep] as you put it :D, but what you said was a little confusing. When I read it, I felt that you were saying, how is it possible for any younger person to connect with MJ considering their age.

Yeah, that's what I understood as well, sorry.

well, if you asked each and everyone of them about their knowledge of Michael and they didn't know nything about him, then ok, but at least they went to the movie, they could have just waited to see New Moon but they wnt to see Michael.

No disrespect here, but I don't agree with your statement. I think, as fans, we all started somewhere, we all started at knowledge 0 and then went on. A fan for 15 years who just listened to his music is still a fan and a fan for 4 months who spent those 4 months learning entirely who Michael is is also a fan.

Yesterday at the theater, there were people I've learn they came to see this movie just to manifest to have Original english version movie in our city, which we don't have. So they were nowhere there for Michael but for something that doesn't have anything to do with Michael, but hey they bought tickets for This is it and it's a good thing anyway cause they'll get to see them man in action.

But you know it's all with Love :lol:

Last edited:
I was talking to someone from school on msn a few weeks before Michael passed. My sister had brought me and her front row VIP seats to see 'This Is It' the concert, I was really excited and had the fact I was going to see Michael in my msn name. Then this girl wrote to me ' erghhh, why are you going to see that freak for. Thats not good yuck, come see Beyonce with me' I was furious and put her in her place and she said 'sorry'. Then a few days after MJs death her msn name read R.I.P Michael Jackson with lots of crying emotions and infact, she still has it up!! :S

Oh, lord I'm 20 and I aprecate mike, not everyone can help when they're born. And beside I have seen more children (age 11-13) defend Mike aginst the grown adults who called him a pedo. Let that shit slide since they are kids and don't know any better, but if these were grown adults, I will be more pissed at that.

i think with the technilogy one would assume more people would know his material, but the fast food mentality shows alot of his stuff not being known. now the classics are known,but you got folks who grew up back in the day who didn't know about destiny and triumph.

there is a mindset out here which looks at B2k like you would frankie lymon and the teenagers meaning anything 5 years or older musically is considered real old.

i understand what the thread starter was saying. there is a mind set out here like that.

That is one of my biggest pet peeve ever when it comes to some people. :mat:

Yep...and if another person ask me if MJ is a pedofile im seriously gonna be like akon and thats LOCKED UP. I hate these so called FANS! and they tend to latch on older gen fans for info which i dont mind at all i love MJs growing fanbase...but dont ask me no retarded asS question like "was Michael really a pedofile?" thats the quickest way to get you slapped...with LOVE tho..thats L.O.V.E LOVE

Can't be to hard on the teens they don't know no better their parents should know better to let them hear J5 to Michael music to get a full understanding where the artist today get all their stuff from especially sampling MJ and J5 music. Just the other day I had to tell my nephew that Kanye west "good life" is PYT sample he was shock now he wants to listen to all of MJ music. I am a 80's baby I am not 27 yr old from my mother on down to my older siblings grew up listening to the J5 and mj music they school me very well. MJ died he was like a family member we took his death so hard cause we grew up with this man. one point or another I always say to my self this must be the year of the crack babies (sorry to say) cause their brains are fried.

And also how about the children who like MJ but their parents don't want them to listen to him because those stupid Tabloid crap. There are Parents that do this to children, I have seen comments from some children actually saying that they love MJ but their ignorant parents won't allow them to listen to him because they think he's a pedophile.

I just felt the need to defend the younger kids because some older ones think that thier minds are mush and they that all they like are Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers (which I have nothing aginst they are just not my style). While conventionally ignoring the fact that there are younger fans who are probably more mature then the Adult haters.

Firstly how would you know what the kids in the audience know or don't know about Michael and his music? Did they actually come up to you before or after the movie to pronounce they've never heard Thriller ect. or are you just assuming?

Second, even if they didn't know the songs which I find hard to buy, and they came to the movie despite not knowing the classics, the thing is, well... THEY CAME TO THE MOVIE! That shows they obviously have an interest to know more. They'll probably walk out appreciating him more too. I don't see why this would annoy you remotely or why you feel people have to have some sort of background before you approve of them going to the movie. If anything we fans should be happy about people like this, not look down our noses at them. This is how fans are made

I think a lot of this community is in this age bracket the OP is talking about..
Me being one of them! I've been a Michael fan since 1999/2000! When I was about 8 or 9. Always supported him. I'm a fan of all of Michael's music! I'm trying to collect all the albums, singles, records.. whatever I can! My first album I bought of Michael's was Invincible! And I love love love that record. I don't think there's a single person I know who doesn't know what 'Thriller' is or 'Billie Jean'. How could we not know? I'm still young. I'm only eighteeen! I was born in the wrong generation though in my opinion! I am a HUGE fan of the 70s and 80s - in particular the music!

I think Michael breaks all barriers - race, age, class - whatever. You name it Michael's broken it. He unites us all. None of these should be an issue when listening to Michael IMO. It's a bit narrow minded to steretype!

I didn't read the original post throughly :doh: however you spell it

What about the fans that just became fans sadly after his passing? Are you saying we don't appreciate his music or understand him like say you would? I'm not trying to be mean but I have done tons of research on MJ , I've watched his videos, listened to his songs, been on this board for basically every day almost all day since you know when reading people's thoughts, wishes, and experiences with MJ.
I'm only 20 and really I didn't really hear about MJ much because he wasn't really out doing things when I was in middle school or high school. So it's not very fair to say that kind of stuff knowing that when you were growing up he was very active in the business when for someone like me or the teenagers , he wasn't very active in the business, and all I ever really heard was what the media said.
I wasn't even born when Thriller came out. I was born I believe near the end of the bad tour but was still too young of course to really know Michael Jackson. I was older when Dangerous and History came out but I was too into what my age group was in , the boy bands. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate or know Thriller or anything from the J5. I actually loved a lot of Michael's songs from J5 and others I just never knew he sang them until well you know when.

I think a lot of this community is in this age bracket the OP is talking about..
Me being one of them! I've been a Michael fan since 1999/2000! When I was about 8 or 9. Always supported him. I'm a fan of all of Michael's music! I'm trying to collect all the albums, singles, records.. whatever I can! My first album I bought of Michael's was Invincible! And I love love love that record. I don't think there's a single person I know who doesn't know what 'Thriller' is or 'Billie Jean'. How could we not know? I'm still young. I'm only eighteeen! I was born in the wrong generation though in my opinion! I am a HUGE fan of the 70s and 80s - in particular the music!

I think Michael breaks all barriers - race, age, class - whatever. You name it Michael's broken it. He unites us all. None of these should be an issue when listening to Michael IMO. It's a bit narrow minded to steretype!

Im a bad era baby..i remember jamming to MJ on the radio when is a young'n lol but i have nothing against the 2000's fans...its just weird to me cuz ive literally been a fan since birth so i feel that EVERYONE should be MJ fans straight out the womb! lol

Im a bad era baby..i remember jamming to MJ on the radio when is a young'n lol but i have nothing against the 2000's fans...its just weird to me cuz ive literally been a fan since birth so i feel that EVERYONE should be MJ fans straight out the womb! lol

Haha Bad era for me too :p Invincible was my first but not my favourite!
Bad Michael is ummm... :wub: Wow

There's this certain moment in the Bad short film - when it hits the instrumental bit in the middle and Mike is dancing in a ballet-ey way haha and then pulls out some really hot moves... Gosh.. fires me up so so hot! That clip is probably my favourite... :wub:

I understand, sort of , what the thread starter is talking about. But- I also think that the younger generations have big advantage: the technology and the amazing possibilities that internett has brought us. Anyone can go to youtube and find an amazing number of videos and see for themself why Michael became an Icon. They aslo find, if they want to the videos that shows Michael the person. They can do a searchand find all the information they want, and then make up their mind. Its up to them to do the discovering. And Michaels legacy will stand the test of time. Shore- some people will not like him, or understand. But I have no doubt that people will continue to become fascinated by the artist and the man.

they do. yesterday there were some kids (8,9 ?) with their skateboards at the train station and they blasted "Beat it" this sure is because of the movie

BillieJean84 said:
This new generation of kids today don't know what 'Thriller' is if you asked them, what 'Billie Jean' is even what Black or White is ....So what the are you doing here watching this movie tonight??? Go back home & watch Spongebob but don't come to a MJ movie and not know who he was! That really does bug me

If you have mean things to say, like calling me ignorant, then please don't answer my question. I simply just stated that 'younger generation' from where I am, doesnt know a thing about MJ because they don't do their research. The way I worded it I guess came out wrong. So please keep your mouth shut if otherwise.

Michael doesnt require children Teens or anyone to do research in order to be his fan or enjoy
his music and performances and he certainly wouldnt exclude them from his shows becuase
they havent researched his life_ That wasnt what he or his shows were about. He especially
lived for the children teens and young ones and would welcome them.

Your statement or attitude twoward them shows you may know less about Michael
then they do_ They just love him and enjoy him (Innocent) Thats all that is required
You misssed the whole esscense of Michael and his whole message when doing you research

His Message was love
Look in the mirror make that change
Heal the World Baby dont attack MJ's children of the world

Many of us have been fans since J5 era - and we know that
all fans big or small knowledgable or just happy to listen to him
sing are part of one huge loving family _

Spread the L.O.V.E to all _ dont discriminate
That is so NOT Michael Jackson

Last edited:
Well hello guys i know its been quite some time since ive posted here but i've been here almost everyday and i was a memeber on here good while before mj's passing, the 50 concert sesries announcement e.t.c.......... But i've been a fan since i was real young. I was born in may of 1991 mike was praobly in the last editing stages of dangerous (which is my all time fave mike album i grew up on it along with history) when i was 3 my father bought me dangerous the short films on tape along with moonwalker. I still have those tapes to this day and in good condition. Form then on as a kid watching this i use to imitate his dance movesi even have pictures of me doing this. I was really into mike growng up. I loved him and always will. Thriller was the first cd i e ver owned it was given to me as a gift by my father. That was when i was 9. In 2001 i saved up my money and i boyught invinciable. As i got older i always loved him and jammed to his music. When i was 17 i bought dangerous on cdand thriller 25. Even though i had the short films on tape which was bascially the album minus a few. And i already had the first addtion thriller cd but i wanted to support mike any way i could. Mike, 2pac,prince, and bob marley are the only musicances that matter to me. Excusse my spelling i'm in a hurry. But agE is nothing but a number but the mind is timeless. And i'm only 18 with a 4yr old son.

P.s my son thinks mike is the shit

Last edited:
I've been a follower since J5 in the beginning. There is enough love for everyone. I embrace all the new fans and welcome them. It's all about keeping Michael's legacy and we need new blood as well as old for that. Plenty of room for folk who love Michael, his art, or both. :yes:

If anything, I think the younger fans deserve more respect and props, 'cause to get to him they had to wade through all the bullshit and see the Michael that wasn't being shown to the public. He's been "W**** J****" for their whole entire lives. Everyone loved Michael back in the day. But during a time when there was no new music and the world was being lied to about him, these fans cared enough to give him the benefit of the doubt and do some research on the man they'd heard nothing but horror stories about and then stood up and said "You guys are wack, I'm with you Michael." - it doesn't get more respectable than that.

Michael doesnt require children Teens or anyone to do research in order to be his fan or enjoy
his music and performances and he certainly wouldnt exclude them from his shows becuase
they havent researched his life_ That wasnt what he or his shows were about. He especially
lived for the children teens and young ones and would welcome them.

Your statement or attitude twoward them shows you may know less about Michael
then they do_ They just love him and enjoy him (Innocent) Thats all that is required
You misssed the whole esscense of Michael and his whole message when doing you research

His Message was love
Look in the mirror make that change
Heal the World Baby dont attack MJ's children of the world

Many of us have been fans since J5 era - and we know that
all fans big or small knowledgable or just happy to listen to him
sing are part of one huge loving family _

Spread the L.O.V.E to all _ dont discriminate
That is so NOT Michael Jackson

:clapping:
agree with EVERYTHING

Something that bugs me I guess it shouldn't but it does is: as I was watching the movie tonight, I've seen alot of teenagers there. I can guarentee you that they only know MJ from 2005-now. From the unfortunate happenings to now. I feel like they do not appreciate the whole picture, everything else- starting from his solo record, to 90s stuff to his last record, Invincible. They are just simply too young to appreciate him

I have been a "Fan" of MJ, following him, collecting MJ stuff, basically appreciating MJ since I was in 3rd grade ; I would sing "Leave Me Alone" to the teacher lol. When I was little, I would ask my mother if I could go to MJ's house.

This new generation of kids today don't know what 'Thriller' is if you asked them, what 'Billie Jean' is even what Black or White is ....So what the are you doing here watching this movie tonight??? Go back home & watch Spongebob but don't come to a MJ movie and not know who he was!

That really does bug me. I don't know about anyone else though....

They took the time to come to the theater, and watch Michael. They are open to learning about him and seeing what he was about. Let the movie do the rest. :agree:

Sure, they may not be familiar with Michael's early work and they may not know about all the amazing things he has done. But if This Is It inspires them and leaves them hungry for more; the eventually WILL buy Michael's record(s) and will learn more about him. Remember, at some point YOU saw or heard something that made you a fan. :)

When I went to TII the theatre was packed with (some very) young kids.
Maybe the most of them didn't know much about MJ, I don't know.
What I DO know is that they didn't disturb the movie (like kids do all the time in the cinema), they clapped after every song AND gave Mike a big applause at the end of the movie.

I think that says enough.

Felt compelled to post in here after reading your great replies :)

The way I see it you think there can't be any more fans because they didn't live during the height of Michaels popularity. Well I mean they can be fans, but they don't have anything on those that were there to see Thriller/Billie Jean/BoW etc.?

You need to remember that everyone starts somewhere... I would hate to think that I couldn't become a Michael Jackson fan (im only 16 I should say) because of my age. There are still millions of developing Beatles/Elvis/Nirvana fans and as long as there are still records to buy and ways for people to get to know the type of person a musician was there will always be new fans.

Also, what with the development of the internet, giving us such sites as Wikipedia and Youtube, everyone has the same access to millions of things. Sure I wasn't there during the premiere of Thriller but its only a few clicks away from me right now.

I think the only reason they wouldn't 'appreciate' Michael is because they are too young to understand the impact he had on music today. So I think everyone who is a fan appreciates him, and if you dont appreciate Michael, you will do in the future because he will go down in history way beyond our lifetimes.

Back