Who do you think is the most OVERRATED female artist today?

Who do You think is the Most OVERRATED female artist today?

• Total voters
I don't think the Lady Gaga "oddness" is an act really (I was very skeptical in the beginning thoug), I think she really just likes this stuff. It's part of how she sees herself for now, but maybe later she'll find another aesthetic that matches her musical direction. I think that Gaga is totally overexposed but not overrated, because the thing that sets her apart from the others in the list her musical grounding.
She has a credible and even esteemed musical education which will stand up even after her interest in the pop art/Warhol image shifts. And even then, she could go behind the scenes and write. I don't own her music cos my fave artists are more mellow in taste but her pop hooks are definitely stayers. I think she's like Bowie and Madonna in terms of her dress - it fits THIS persona but she'll probably undergo aesthetic changes throughout her career reinventing that aspect. I'm not saying she's comparable to these people now, maybe one day she'll earn a place with them...maybe... cos that takes a long career. Well, time will tell haha. I might be proven completely off in 2 years!!

I voted Taylor Swift because I think after this album, unless she takes a more grown up approach to her music, the young nature of her audience will have moved on to another hot new artist. The young kids audience is really easy to sway to follow the newest trends. She's got to prove she can sing and write DIVERSE material or she won't gain a more loyal fan base - in my opinion. I think she has potential but for the time being, she's the most overrated in that group.

I don't think that she deserves winning all those Grammys though.

That's why she's overrated. It's one thing if this was case of the Britney Spears, being super popular and not really winning anything. I could accept that. I've heard her live performances. Taylor has a hard time being any type of a decent vocalist, which was apparent to me even in her recordings. She sounds dead and monotoned when she sings. It's not pleasant to the ears, well to mine at least, but I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

While what Kanye did was really crass and rude, I think he was trying to warn us in his own way, since that's how he does it.

Beyonce...Single Ladies? Get Me Bodied? I'm sorry, she makes music to shake your lady lump to then it's time to go home. IMO, it's almost her duty to come out with another booty shaking song. I expect her next album to be riddled with such songs and I will be waiting to dance to them in a club. I would never buy a Beyonce album because I don't expect to hear GREAT songs, songs that make you think and make you think about society and the world around us. Nope. I just think about how much more straight my hair should be, how big my butt should be and how glossy my lips should be. Lol, sorry...but I don't see Bey as anything more than a singer and not both a singer/dancer because anyone anyone can pick up choreography -when was the last time you seen her do some improv dance moves? People claim she is all about female empowerment when in all actuality she is almost opposite of what a feminist is about.

Gaga- Be outrageous and people will look, she chose a good PR move. But, it's a good thing that the girl has chops. She can sing but not so much dance (again, choreography). She picks the right producers who give her great beats to sing to. Gaga can ride to a beat, she can harmonize very well to a beat and incorporate repetitious Gaga-isms (p-p-p-poker face). It's catchy stuff, but the song itself (word-wise) is almost silly. Still and all, she puts out "dance like no one is watching" stuff. One thumb up.

Taylor Swift- Cute, tween princess. Cute songs about High School and all it's drama. Nothing more, nothing less. Very cute.

I love Brit Brit!!! But she is only my guru for dance music, lol. I only listen to her to get down with songs like "Trouble," well...then again, most of her songs Post-KFed. She's good for dance music and also fun to watch when she reveals herself again with a new album.

Now that I think of it, Bey is not even fun to watch when a new album comes out. She always has the same look, hair/hair color...etc. The end.

Last edited:
Beyonce!
She's very overrated. I don't even understand why she always gets so much praise, her songs aren't that great and booty shaking is nothing new. In fact, most of the things she does, she simply copied from others. I wish she'd stop screaming so much in her songs, she's an alright singer, but that doesn't mean she has to howl nonstop.
She didn't get her grammys because she's so incredible, there simply wasn't anyone else whom they could have given it to.

Taylor Swift is just a newcomer. I don't think she will last that long. I only ever heard of her existence because of the Kanye West incident.
She's like what Britney and Christina used to be to the public in 1999. Cute and pretty with very sweet and kitschy lyrics. Perfect to target the teens.
I don't pay much attention to her, since there aren't many people outside the US who know who she is.

Beyonce!

Taylor Swift is just a newcomer. I don't think she will last that long. I only ever heard of her existence because of the Kanye West incident.
She's like what Britney and Christina used to be to the public in 1999. Cute and pretty with very sweet and kitschy lyrics. Perfect to target the teens.
I don't pay much attention to her, since there aren't many people outside the US who know who she is.

I agree.... We already know Taylor is overrated. Most new artists playing on the radio always are because the media wants to brainwash the general public into that "something fresh" "somthing NEVER SEEN BEFORE" bullish. So that really isnt something taboo. She IS a new artist and she appeals to the teen audience. That is something already expected. Most new teen boppers are overrated lol because of that. However her being more overrated than Beyonce is laughable and the poll is to because Beyonce is more overrated, the accalodes, awards, and recognition Beyonce has received through the course of her solo career has been a disgrace to the real artists who really earned it and paved the way in the industry and laugable.
From having more Grammys than Michael Jackson, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Janet Jackson, Aretha etc
From being the first black female singer to when that very iconic award she won at the AMA's which is the SAME award Michael Jackson, Bee Gees and Led Zepplin won towards the END of their peaks. You tell me whats more ridiculous AMONG alot of disturbing things in this crazy wack music industry gave to her?

If you ask me Beyonce is the most overrated out of that bunch no question and even though Taylor has won awards THIS YEAR that she really didnt deserve, the media and critics are not praising her for being a legend like they are with Beyonce. Taylor is just a pop singer and the same goes for Beyonce despite her overration and overexposure.

all that list because ain't none of them seeing Lauyrn Hill in her Prime she was the last badd Chick IMO. she had the whole package musically.

Britney Spears. Come on!!!!

Britney is called the Princess of Pop. She cant even sing, doesnt write her own songs. She dances ok buts its nothing special. Its ridiculous.

How can you say Beyonce, who can actually sing. When Britney is walking round with no talent and being called the Princess of Pop!?

Its definitely Taylor Swift....although she is very relateable and sweet...I just done think she sings very well.

I'm going to say that Beyoncé is the most overrated female artist today.
My reason? People seem to think she's credible and some sort of original artist. I don't think she's original at all. She has a great voice but I'm very sceptical about her involvement in song-writing.

Lady Gaga isn't overrated really. She's still catching on. The music industry isn't saying "LOOK AT THIS SHINING LIGHT LADY GAGA" like it is about Beyoncé. She's a very talented lady - a musician and song-writer, and at least she tries to be different. She's an innovator even though her style of innovation may not be to everyone's taste.

Taylor Swift. Well she is a complete one-woman machine in that she writes the songs she sings, and plays an instrument so that's admirable in my opinion. The Grammy wins, of course, are perplexing to me!

Rihanna isn't really shoved in our faces so I don't think she's overrated.

Britney..not really shoved in our faces as an example of a great artist either!

I'm not a big of Gaga's music, but I like the fact that she is creative and innovative, unlike Beyonce'..I think Beyonce is very talented, but lacks the originality that Gaga has..

I can't wait for Lauryn to comeback..I ADORE her music..she is a musical genius!!

So when is her voice going to make a comeback?
I love L Boogie but I don't see it happening.

I cant believe people aren saying Britney Spears, but are instead saying Beyonce.

Britney is called the Princess of Pop when she has barely any talent. She cant sing, doesnt write her own songs and is an average dancer.

Yet Beyonce can at least sing to say the least.

I think all of these females are overrated, of course in varying ways.
Although I'm not really captivated by either Swift or GaGa, they are musically gifted, especially Gaga,(check out their bios, they were both prodigies). I just don't care I guess for their desire to have their musical stylings be sooo hohum mainstream. And yes, Beyonce is talented(vocally), and beautiful, but where is the creativity? Always copying someone else! Please leave MJ alone and think of something of your own! And I don't see how she has won so many Grammys at 28. On the same level as Michael in terms of Grammys. Based on that fact she should be considered a music legend already, yet I don't see many people HONESTLY saying that. She has surpassed Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston, Ella Fitzgerald. THAT does not make sense, especially when you are awarded for albums that feature just how much you can shake your butt and how her attempts to sound soulful like Aretha just sound like screaming and wailing? The Grammys are now a joke and Beyonce takes the cake for sure.

Taylor Swift....something about her. :ninja: And her music...guess it's not my kind of thing.

I'll always have a special thing for Britney Spears. I was 11 when she first came out with Baby One More Time. I grew up with her, and while it's sad what's happened with her the last couple of years she was the bomb all the way through my teen years. She was adorable, and I'll always think of her that way.

Taylor Swift....something about her. :ninja: And her music...guess it's not my kind of thing.

I'll always have a special thing for Britney Spears. I was 11 when she first came out with Baby One More Time. I grew up with her, and while it's sad what's happened with her the last couple of years she was the bomb all the way through my teen years. She was adorable, and I'll always think of her that way.

Aww, thats I how I feel about Britney too. I have outgrown her but she's still special to me.:wub: So sad to see the direction her life's taken. She had so much potential and then boom...what happened?

I think she's more unique then Gaga,Rihanna, Swift and Beyonce combined. Its so funny how they try so hard though.

When Lauryn Hill returns..it's going to be over for most of these artists mentioned!!

When Lauryn Hill returns..it's going to be over for most of these artists mentioned!!

LOL I agree but Lauryn hill would never be on a list like that because she isnt overrated and I doubt she would be heavily commercial like those artists above and if she was at least it would be for the RIGHT reasons like making good music not shaking her behind or dressing provocative.

LOL I agree but Lauryn hill would never be on a list like that because she isnt overrated and I doubt she would be heavily commercial like those artists above and if she was at least it would be for the RIGHT reasons like making good music not shaking her behind or dressing provocative.

Her first and only album sold over 400K in the first week and ended up selling 20 million worldwide so she's going to sale big..look at Sade, she did over 400K in her 1st week..now I am very certain that Lauryn will do the same or do better than that..I think she would be commercial for the right reasons (Talent & Great Music). I think she would be more successful than those artists in terms of album sales and winning a whole bunch of awards for sure..I prefer an artist who makes great music, talented, and isn't overexposed like all of these artists on here..

Last edited:
I think they are all overated. There is not an cd out there that I would spend my hard earned cash on. There might be one good song and the rest is crap. You couldn't get by with that in the 80's. The music was much better back then. Beyonce and Lady Gaga both overated but Gaga has a better voice.

Aww, thats I how I feel about Britney too. I have outgrown her but she's still special to me.:wub: So sad to see the direction her life's taken. She had so much potential and then boom...what happened?

I think she's more unique then Gaga,Rihanna, Swift and Beyonce combined. Its so funny how they try so hard though.

I was 7 when she first came out and I remember that I used to love her.

But girl, come on... UNIQUE? Brit is like as manufactured as they come.

But at least she acknowledges that. I never really looked at Britney as an artist, she's more of an entertainer...

Back