Discussion about Charges against Dr. Murray / all threads merged

Re: If/When Murray is charged, what happens next?

So you can plead not guilty at first, to "play it safe" and be able to change your plea later. My understanding from the previous posts is that if you start by pleading guilty, then you can no longer change it. Is that right ?

yes u can change your plea later to guilty or guilty via a plea bargin. i dont know if u can plead guilty and then change to not guilty. thats not something that hardly ever happens

If there are various charges you can either plead guilty, not guilty or no contest to each charge, right ?
yes you plea to each indivdual charge. if theres alot of charges as ramona said the D.A may say plead guilty to manslaughter for example and we will drop all the other charges.its totally upto the D.A how they offer any plea bargin or if they offer one at all

Taught maybe we could use this as a new thread to open discussion on what is happening today outside and inside the courthouse..

Feel free to delete if you feel there is a thread we can discuss it all

Re: charges. court document

What does that mean??

WHAT??? What does it mean?? oh my god. Charges against who???

yeah thats what im thinking. look at the penal code and then google it. im doing that now but my comp is slow.

note this is nothing to do with mj

What's going on?? I'm seriously confused. I feel like I can't take in any more information, this is all too much. :cry:

OMG, is it about Murray making Prince watch while he was doing the ''CPR''? Wth did he do to this child?

what the hell is going on now? This just gets worse and worse!

OMG, is it about Murray making Prince watch while he was doing the ''CPR''? Wth did he do to this child?

we dont know as its all sealed we are just trying to work out what it could be and this is the only thing we can think of. its not a seperate charge but i think they are asking for it to be investgated if it hasnt already. so maybe an added charge later?

That would involve Prince testifying....

"A suspected child abuse report may have been generated" . Who would "generate a child abuse report" ???? How come the DA does not seem to be sure ???

I also heard/read (I don't know anymore, I was watching Skynews, CNN,TMZ and reading here), that Murray's defense would want the kids to testify ?? I can't be sure if that's true though.

If this charge really got added, then it would mean something positive for us and negative for Murray, right?

the DA doesnt seem to keen to add this charge imo.

Re: charges. court document. possible child abuse/neglect charge against murray?

I just want to say this: my main concern is the well being of Prince and Paris and Blanket so it's a delicate line here and difficlut decision to make: while I would love to see justice being done and have Murray serve more than 4 years in prison, I would hate to see Prince be cross-examined and so on, which would add further trauma. I hope the kids can tell the judge and the prosecutor what they know in closed chambers without further harrassment or cross examination and so on.

Re: charges. court document. possible child abuse/neglect charge against murray?

Penal Code Section 11166.

(a) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a mandated reporter shall make a report to an agency specified in Section

11165.9 whenever the mandated reporter, in his or her professional capacity or within the scope of his or her employment, has knowledge

of or observes a child whom the mandated reporter knows or reasonably suspects has been the victim of child abuse or neglect. The

mandated reporter shall make a report to the agency immediately or as soon as is practicably possible by telephone, and the mandated

reporter shall prepare and send a written report thereof within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident.

(1) For the purposes of this article, "reasonable suspicion" means that it is objectively reasonable for a person to entertain a

suspicion, based upon facts that could cause a reasonable person in a like position, drawing, when appropriate, on his or her training and

experience, to suspect child abuse or neglect. For the purpose of this article, the pregnancy of a minor does not, in and of itself,

constitute a basis for a reasonable suspicion of sexual abuse.

(2) The agency shall be notified and a report shall be prepared and sent even if the child has expired, regardless of whether or not

the possible abuse was a factor contributing to the death, and even if suspected child abuse was discovered during an autopsy.

(3) A report made by a mandated reporter pursuant to this section shall be known as a mandated report.

(b) Any mandated reporter who fails to report an incident of known or reasonably suspected child abuse or neglect as required by this

section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months confinement in a county jail or by a fine of one thousand dollars

($1,000) or by both that fine and punishment.

(c) (1) A clergy member who acquires knowledge or a reasonable suspicion of child abuse or neglect during a penitential

communication is not subject to subdivision (a). For the purposes of this subdivision, "penitential communication" means a communication,

intended to be in confidence, including, but not limited to, a sacramental confession, made to a clergy member who, in the course of

the discipline or practice of his or her church, denomination, or organization, is authorized or accustomed to hear those

communications, and under the discipline, tenets, customs, or practices of his or her church, denomination, or organization, has a

duty to keep those communications secret.

(2) Nothing in this subdivision shall be construed to modify or limit a clergy member's duty to report known or suspected child abuse

or neglect when the clergy member is acting in some other capacity that would otherwise make the clergy member a mandated reporter.

(d) Any commercial film and photographic print processor who has knowledge of or observes, within the scope of his or her professional

capacity or employment, any film, photograph, videotape, negative, or slide depicting a child under the age of 16 years engaged in an

act of sexual conduct, shall report the instance of suspected child abuse to the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the case

immediately, or as soon as practically possible, by telephone, and shall prepare and send a written report of it with a copy of the

film, photograph, videotape, negative, or slide attached within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident. As used

in this subdivision, "sexual conduct" means any of the following:

(1) Sexual intercourse, including genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital, or oral-anal, whether between persons of the same or

opposite sex or between humans and animals.

(2) Penetration of the vagina or rectum by any object.

(3) Masturbation for the purpose of sexual stimulation of the viewer.

(4) Sadomasochistic abuse for the purpose of sexual stimulation of the viewer.

(5) Exhibition of the genitals, pubic, or rectal areas of any person for the purpose of sexual stimulation of the viewer.

(e) Any other person who has knowledge of or observes a child whom he or she knows or reasonably suspects has been a victim of child

abuse or neglect may report the known or suspected instance of child abuse or neglect to an agency specified in Section 11165.9.

(f) When two or more persons, who are required to report, jointly have knowledge of a known or suspected instance of child abuse or

neglect, and when there is agreement among them, the telephone report may be made by a member of the team selected by mutual agreement and

a single report may be made and signed by the selected member of the reporting team. Any member who has knowledge that the member

designated to report has failed to do so shall thereafter make the report.

(g) (1) The reporting duties under this section are individual, and no supervisor or administrator may impede or inhibit the

reporting duties, and no person making a report shall be subject to any sanction for making the report. However, internal procedures to

facilitate reporting and apprise supervisors and administrators of reports may be established provided that they are not inconsistent

with this article.

(2) The internal procedures shall not require any employee required to make reports pursuant to this article to disclose his or

her identity to the employer.

(3) Reporting the information regarding a case of possible child abuse or neglect to an employer, supervisor, school principal, school

counselor, coworker, or other person shall not be a substitute for making a mandated report to an agency specified in Section 11165.9.

(h) A county probation or welfare department shall immediately, or as soon as practically possible, report by telephone, fax, or

electronic transmission to the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the case, to the agency given the responsibility

for investigation of cases under Section 300 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, and to the district attorney's office every known

or suspected instance of child abuse or neglect, as defined in Section 11165.6, except acts or omissions coming within subdivision

(b) of Section 11165.2, or reports made pursuant to Section 11165.13 based on risk to a child which relates solely to the inability of the

parent to provide the child with regular care due to the parent's substance abuse, which shall be reported only to the county welfare

or probation department. A county probation or welfare department also shall send, fax, or electronically transmit a written report

thereof within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident to any agency to which it makes a telephone report under

this subdivision.

(i) A law enforcement agency shall immediately, or as soon as practically possible, report by telephone to the agency given

responsibility for investigation of cases under Section 300 of the Welfare and Institutions Code and to the district attorney's office

every known or suspected instance of child abuse or neglect reported to it, except acts or omissions coming within subdivision (b) of

Section 11165.2, which shall be reported only to the county welfare or probation department. A law enforcement agency shall report to

the county welfare or probation department every known or suspected instance of child abuse or neglect reported to it which is alleged to

have occurred as a result of the action of a person responsible for the child's welfare, or as the result of the failure of a person

responsible for the child's welfare to adequately protect the minor from abuse when the person responsible for the child's welfare knew

or reasonably should have known that the minor was in danger of abuse. A law enforcement agency also shall send, fax, or

electronically transmit a written report thereof within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident to any agency to

which it makes a telephone report under this subdivision.

11166.05. Any mandated reporter who has knowledge of or who reasonably suspects that mental suffering has been inflicted upon a

child or that his or her emotional well-being is endangered in any other way may report the known or suspected instance of child abuse

or neglect to an agency specified in Section 11165.9.

I also heard/read (I don't know anymore, I was watching Skynews, CNN,TMZ and reading here), that Murray's defense would want the kids to testify ?? I can't be sure if that's true though.

If that is true , then murrays lawyers are being idiots!

Sorry to be thick here, but, since Murray's been charged with only one count of IM, which is the lightest possible charge given the autopsy report, there are no other charge, can he still plea bargain later on ?
I thought that maybe it was a way for the DA to "checkmate" him from the start, making sure there was no way Murray could have avoided being found guilty or enter a plea bargain.

what happens if he eventually pleads guilty ? Will there be a trial ?

what do you think ?

Sorry to be thick here, but, since Murray's been charged with only one count of IM, which is the lightest possible charge given the autopsy report, there are no other charge, can he still plea bargain later on ?
I thought that maybe it was a way for the DA to "checkmate" him from the start, making sure there was no way Murray could have avoided being found guilty or enter a plea bargain.

what happens if he eventually pleads guilty ? Will there be a trial ?

what do you think ?

They can still add charges even now if new evident turns up. Also the lightest he could of gotten is negligent or given drugs to an addict.

The can still plea bargain if they show Murray that they have other evidences against him that could get him a higher charge. However, it all depends on what the DA wants.

yes that could be a reason theres really nothing lower to make a plea bargin with. the only thing i could see is murray agrees to plead guilty and inreturn gets no jail time.other than that there isnt really anything imo

the D.A Can offer a plea deal if he wants its upto him doesnt matter that theres only one charge but as i said above i dont think he will. as your theory states

if u plead guilty there is no trial

They can still add charges even now if new evident turns up. Also the lightest he could of gotten is negligent or given drugs to an addict.

yeah they changed the charges on mj at the GJ so maybe at the prelim something could happen. we have that child abuse report going on for starters

Thks for the answers

Is there a possability Dr. Murray will be convicted to more than four years in jail?

Hello
and hugs to all.
I'm just wondering if there is a possability Murray could get more than four years in jail considering the circumstances of Michael's death? The Gibbons woman-sorry can't remember her first name) from the D.A's office said it was up to the judge about how long Murray is put away for when asked by a journo about the 4 years ?
I wonder if there has ever been given more than 4 yrs for straightfoward IM only?
just a thought?

Re: Is there a possability Dr. Murray will be convicted to more than four years in jail?

the max is 4 years so thats what they ment by the judge deciding. the sentence is between 2 and 4 years so the judge decides what he gets. he could only get more if xtra charges are added

Re: Is there a possability Dr. Murray will be convicted to more than four years in jail?

the max is 4 years so thats what they ment by the judge deciding. the sentence is between 2 and 4 years so the judge decides what he gets. he could only get more if xtra charges are added

Also, if he has never been charged or convicted of a crime, the judge could put him on probation and make him pay a fine and Murray will not have do any time. Also the judge could sentence him to 4 years and if he is a model prisoner, he could get out in 2 years.

Also, if he has never been charged or convicted of a crime, the judge could put him on probation and make him pay a fine and Murray will not have do any time

yeha ive heard ppl say that but why are the sentencing guidlines 2-4 years if thats not the case and u can get probation

And what about the bail? Could he just pay and get free?

Back