How true is this? (regarding MJ's pics being digitally altered)

Of course certain media outlets doctor pictures and/or significantly alter the brightness, contrast, and color tones in them which often make Michael seem more pale, or more charicatured than he appears in real life (I still question the way his mugshot was produced). That's why many who first meet him in person comment on how he looks better in real life than he's often portrayed in the pictures. However, this is not to say that all pictures or outlets which show Michael as wearing red lipstick etc. are manipulated, as fans have taken personal pictures themselves (i.e., when Michael was in London) and the results are at times similar. It also very much depends on the lighting and camera used to take said pictures.

On a related note, I recall one mainstream publisher deliberately Photoshopping out all of Michael's bodyguards and the crowd around him from a picture of him walking, and then publishing a story talking about how isolated and unpopular he was. Now I'd call that blatant doctoring which can be easily proved.

The manipulation is not necessary with consciously changing colour saturation, but with choosing pictures where that autosaturation went crazy.

Also, all the kinds of getty images and reuters photographers, and, more importantly, heads of photo departments -- who give orders/tasks for photographers to go and take pictures of Jackson -- know that his skin is paler than usual and that makes necessary for photographer to turn autosaturation filter off since it always produces heavily distorted images of Michael with orange shadows, bold red lipstick and so on.

They do nothing on this, however, continueing consciously to take distorted pictures, at most part. The image I posted on the previous page is rare case where viewers have chance to see Jackson is much more correct colour gamma. Even though Michael made up to hundred of public appearances during the trial, only few photos with normal colour saturation were ever published. ALL other photos were distorted.

This is because heads of photo departments of all those agencies may have agenda on this, with some others being simply not-professional.

On private fan-taken photos: cheap (comparing to any decent media's) photocameras sometimes do not even have the option to adjust or at least turn off auto colour saturation/contrast filter. Or fans are unaware that paler skin makes lips more contrast on pictures with that autocorrection, than on normal skin. So fans simply do not turn of autocorrection and get the same distorted images.

Thus fans actually have less chances to take actual colour photos than the media which have huge cameras worth up to 10 thousand (!) dollars or even more (rarely).

Media, unlike fans, know every detail on the subject and they do what they do by conscious choice.

Last edited:
Not that it matters, but ya in magazines he's photoshoped like all celebs...

Even in videos at times there is digital effects in.. In They Don't Care About Us, they blend his chest.. Make it a bit fazy, hazy, (like the blend tool on photoshop) to make the vitiligo spots less appearent.

It's used all the time.. No reason to really think of it as a contraversal, or bad thing.. They are always making people look glamorious through inhancing and de-hancing things.. That's from Brest sizes, wrinkles, skin, butt, love handels, eye color, hair, clothing.. EVERYTHING...

It's not a secret.

:lol: yeah !! his lips could be dyed purple for all I cares. If dude is smiling, all i see is that infectious smile

haha, nice! :D

And I agree, we all know what he looks like, but really, airbrushed isn't bad either. :D

Thanx for the info, very interesting, so tell.. Do these cats wear that kind of make up ofstage? Be honest?

Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne, Green Day, and Dave Nevarro are some others who have worn makeup and do it offstage also.

um it's not false. i was at the trial...*yes i done said it! whuuuut?!?!?* and he'd come in normal as hell and then getty would put pics online w/ him having red ass lips

That sounds like a valid explanation and exactly why I never wanted to call this thing lipstick. BUT then another question: Why is it the dark, sometimes its not that dark. Sometimes you cant even see it?
he just likes lipstick. He's actually worn it since the 80s. Lots of people wear lipstick...most often women but hey.

In my introductory post, I refer to it as the "redstuff". I'm a bit reluctant to call it lipstick, I mean why would he?

Simply becuz he wants 2. Why does it matter lol. Every1 knows mike wears lip stick. Idk why u are reluctant because that's what it is lol

Last edited:
lol leave timmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaay alone! lol it's hella late.

i know sometimes he wears the rouge but getty always alters him to look foolish

Because it is not lipstick; one can not paint form/shape of upper lip like Jackson does with lipstick. Tassel or something thin has to be used for that. And yes, the reason for that is to make shape of lips different and/or to bring pigment there. Or else pale lips on very, very, very pale face will make impression that Michael is zombie.

Jackson is no Boy George like some media like to portray him, implying sinister there. Tabloids use oversaturated, heavily distorted photos consciously for that purpose.

Compilation.jpg

Just see how "bold red lipstick" in the first row of photos in the compilation actually turns out to be just pink when colours are not crazy (photos are from the same date and time), where Michael does not have orange shadows and red face.

The point is that Jackson is very pale and in reality there is no way how he could gain orange skin, so we have second, lower row of photos where more actual colours are seen.

It shows "wonders" of colour (auto)saturation adjustments made by programmable filters photographic equipment and afterprocessing. None of those filters ever suited to process as pale skin as Michael's, so sometimes, when switched "On", they "think" that something went "wrong" with colours and they try to adjust it.

Pink make-up is used sometimes to adjust form of the upper lip and there was no ever idea for lips to be that "dark red lipstick". With Jackson being unshaven often, and not using red paint for nails or else "feminine" features, it would not make sense anyway. Jackson is no Boy George.
Wow you make some good points there man, I'm not familiar with all the photography jargon you're using but I see what you're getting at.
HOWEVER, your whole assertion was just rebutted by a post I just read on this thread by someone who says they saw our boy somewhere in person and the lips were as blood red as ever, and it appeared as if he was wearing lipstick..

Last edited:
Are we seriously so bored that we are arguing over lipstick?:doh: Okay, so the truth is that sometimes Michael wears lipstick, but also, sometimes even when he isn't, the media manipulate images of him and/or use oversaturated images of him to make him look like he is. Right? Who cares if he wears lipstick anyway. It's his decision and doesn't really matter.

Are we seriously so bored that we are arguing over lipstick?:doh: Okay, so the truth is that sometimes Michael wears lipstick, but also, sometimes even when he isn't, the media manipulate images of him and/or use oversaturated images of him to make him look like he is. Right? Who cares if he wears lipstick anyway. It's his decision and doesn't really matter.

I was expecting a post like this to pop up..
You say it doesnt matter? It doesnt matter to who, exactly?
Who said that its not Michael's decision, Nodody took that away from him, we are all aware its his prerogative, you dont have to tell us that.
If we cant wonder how If Michael is in Vegas or Los Angelos or the state of his affairs are regarding the loan to his house, Why cant we try figure out if the media plants red stuff on his lips or he does it himself or its a technical issue having to do with light?
Some fans have the tendancy of trying to decide for others if a discusion is boring or old or whatever.
This is all very interesting to me, including all the pics of other celebs with make up..
Dont be like that..

really I have enough of that ... to me it's boring. YES, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER! And to the fans to whom it it obviously IMPORTANT, I think they have a problem with the difficulties that Michael wearing lipstick cause to themselves.

I personally don't care whether he wears lipstick or not, it's his choice to do so. What does matter to me, and what I appreciate from the man himself, is his talent. That is the only thing that matters.

I personally don't care whether he wears lipstick or not, it's his choice to do so. What does matter to me, and what I appreciate from the man himself, is his talent. That is the only thing that matters.

You're right, and dont forget, like CHICHI said.. his smile:D
AND the fact that I wonder if the red stuff is planted or self applied shouldnt let anyone on this board to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Basicly, it's a choice Michael makes. He has an androgynous image and wether or not you like it is your choice. I would love a more masculin look personaly, but that's not my call. And I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are fans. But in the end, it's all up to man himself. And if that includes awful red lipstick so be it. ;-)

WHATS WITH THIS WHOLE TALK ABOUT "ITS MICHAEL'S CHOICE"??
No one is disputing that, is there a post in this thread indicating anything to that effect?
You guys sometimes..:no:

WHATS WITH THIS WHOLE TALK ABOUT "ITS MICHAEL'S CHOICE"??
No one is disputing that, is there a post in this thread indicating anything to that effect?
You guys sometimes..:no:
and since it is its decision, and nobody calls it into question and also at all not able to change it why the discussion has gotten so long, just wondering. :yes:

Oh Lawd. SIX pages of this? Are we that overly obsessed with what he wears on his lips? We're getting worse than the media!

Back