MJ Can't Sing?

Yeah, those are pretty cool, huh floacism? A member here named pepsun gave them to me, they're from two British music magazines from the late 80s and early 90s, I forget the name of one, but the other is called "Popcorn" I think. Anyway, pretty great stuff, and it really is a testiment to Michael's level of talent, coming from those people about him.

QUOTE (wannabestartinsomthin21 @ Oct 10 2007, 11:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1823895
Damn straight! You're point about belting is well taken too. It's actually an incorrect form of singing, usually done by vocalists who push their chest registers to the very outer limits to lend the same richness of that voice to higher notes. You're supposed to sing in your head voice for higher ranges, neglecting to do so can damage the vocal cords.

I know I've already said this somewhere in this thread, forgive my habit of being repetitive, lol, but Michael has been stated, by his voice coach Seth Riggs, to have a range of 4 octaves, all connected, meaning from his lowest range to his highest, not including falsetto. He sings well into low base and well passed high C in his upper range. Seth has also described doing vocal warm ups with Michael as the equivalent to fine tuning a Ferrari. Also, according to someone I've spoken too who is also a student of Seth's, Seth say's Michael is the most talented male vocalist he's ever heard, and Seth is Stevie Wonder's voice coach, he was Luther Vandross's voice coach, Barbra Striesand's voice coach, etc... and he said also that people have no idea just how gifted he is as he holds back to an incredible extent on his records. This same person told me that Michael will sing a song that is going to end up on his album for Seth to work out any kinks, do it incredibly, and then proceed to record, on purpose, a lesser version for the album. Seth supposedly has asked Michael why he does this, and Michael doesn't have an answer for him. I've also been told by this person that they've heard some of Michael's vocal lessons, and his transition from register to register is the best, extremely clean, seamless and controlled, that he has an unbelievable capacity to hold notes, for people that think he has bad wind capacity. That's the mark of a good singer, someone who transitions between the registers without any detection of a change, without any indication of a break; it just flows together without you even hearing it. Michael does that unbelievably well. Michael's the best vocalist, he's a consummate professional beyond what most people can ever imagine, his natural gift is a phenomenon. The depth and dimension of his voice is more intricate then any other singer I think I've ever heard, it literally changes with each note. A lot of singer’s voices are one dimensional, they let through a solid, nice sound, but that's all they've got. Michael's got a range of colors and textures to his voice more vast then any other. Couple that with his genius in expressing emotion, and he can't be beat. He makes you feel when he sings, he rips the core of a song out and shows it bare to you, he let's you hear the essence of it, he makes you unsure if he is the singer or the song. That's brilliance. Technically, he is the best, and emotionally, he is the best. He holds back, so we don't even know how good he is really.[/b]

WE SALUTE YOU! :flowers:

Michael is one of the best signers in the world.Singing in falsetto is beautiful when done right.But it hurts my ears when it's done wrong.Not very many people can do it.
Best:
Michael
Jordan Knight
Maxwell
Ace Young
Nick Carter
Worst:
Justin Timberlake
Bono
etc.

Michael's voice is so beautiful his talking even sounds like singing.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to sing well at a concert that you lose 10-15 pounds at because you're moving around so much. If people wonder why MJ doesn't sing so well during his concerts well that's the answer. Go run 5 miles and sing 3 blind mice.[/b]
Exactly, plus the fact that he is in the business of preserving his voice. Not having some long sob story about how he grew nodes and stuff on a tour, which we know is strenuous on him period, in the first place.

Michael's voice is so beautiful his talking even sounds like singing.[/b]

Straight up. Michael's got the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. It's got this totaly purity to it, and it never breaks or cracks unless he wants it to. And it's got so many layers and it is so deep in terms of varying tones and colors, etc... On top of that, he's got the sweetest voice I've ever heard. It's so sweet, just listening to him can give you a cavity, lol.

Example, my brother didnt think MJ could sing only when he was little, but then he listened to Butterflies, from INVINCIBLE and he was like WHOA! This is amazing...and tried to imitate the vocalizing. Lol. Michael can sing very sweetly, strongly, or even sensually...he can do it if he wants to. I wouldnt plaster him as the BEST singer in the world, because there are other great singers out there, including females...but he is one of the greatest!

Example, my brother didnt think MJ could sing only when he was little, but then he listened to Butterflies, from INVINCIBLE and he was like WHOA! This is amazing...and tried to imitate the vocalizing. Lol. Michael can sing very sweetly, strongly, or even sensually...he can do it if he wants to. I wouldnt plaster him as the BEST singer in the world, because there are other great singers out there, including females...but he is one of the greatest![/b]
That the key, "he can do it if he wants to". Michael wants to range himself in vocal styles. he does not want to sound all R and B. I remember when "Beat it" came out and some people were like "Michael doing a rock song"! :brow: :imbad :blink: Now look, that stuff is now a part of him. to me, Michael wanted to branch more out in pop; however, he can blow when he wants to. Even in the 70's Michael has two or three different R & B singing styles.

Still, I have NEVER heard anyone say Michael could not sing, certainly no one with crediablity. I remember one girl told me he sings too high but she did it because she was pissed I that I was going to see Michael in concert in 1984 and her @$$ had to stay in the country and did not go NO WHERE. I was the only one from the school that went to the VICTORY TOUR. It made her mad. :lol: I later was going to see the show in Atlanta because my cousins was going to take me to see it there as well but I got sick with a bad case of the soar throat, I just tested this same girl and asked her if she wanted my place to go because I could not go, she almost broked her neck shaking to say yes. I told her, "no I better ask somone else. You think Michael does not sing too high", She then said, "I was only playing". :rolleyes: Still, I did not give it to her. :lol: :lol:

Too high? lol, that's funny. Most people wish they could sing in Michael's range. Listen, there isn't a singer on this planet better then Michael Jackson. He's the most gifted vocalist I've ever heard, along with Barbra Streisand and Celine Dion. There's a few others on or near that level, but nobody is better then Michael, nobody.

Re: MJ Can't Sing?

Too high? lol, that's funny. Most people wish they could sing in Michael's range. Listen, there isn't a singer on this planet better then Michael Jackson. He's the most gifted vocalist I've ever heard, along with Barbra Streisand and Celine Dion. There's a few others on or near that level, but nobody is better then Michael, nobody.

OMG i seriously wish i could. id give absolutely anything to be able to sing like him. remember the song "Will You Be There"??

wow, all i can say is that it takes a REAL singer to sing like that. hes amazing. i WORSHIP MJ!! :)

Why do some people say this? I've heard people say this before and I just don't understand it. How is it that some people think MJ can't sing? And they don't just mean recently, they mean that he could never and can't sing period, like he doesn't have a good voice. I just don't get this. Please someone explain this to me.
Mike can SING.... if he couldn't then he wouldn't have released albums and the amount of them!! :D

OMG i seriously wish i could. id give absolutely anything to be able to sing like him. remember the song "Will You Be There"??

wow, all i can say is that it takes a REAL singer to sing like that. hes amazing. i WORSHIP MJ!! :)

For real. You know what I'm sayin'! I was listening to the "Bad" album the other day, and Michael's voice is so off the hook. He can sing so high and then turn around and sing low, and his transition between the registers is the best, he just attacks a song with so much intensity and killer precisian. I also listened to "Invincible", the song, and the same thing there, killer vocals. Man, in my opinion, nobody except a very select few are actually on Michael's level, and nobody is better.

Some guy who knows that Michael Jackson is my alter ego, aproached me to ask if I've got "Lady In my Life" He said that he did not know Michael could do anything like that, he admitted that he is not a fan of Michael but would like to collect all his slower songs because he likes what he does with them vocally. I played him , the motown 25 "Never can say goodbye" and he actually used the word "goosebumps" to explain what Michael's voice does to him, as if he where one of us.After I played him the part on LWMJ where he is singing "Smile", he said: "Wow he can still vibrate his voice even today"?.
To agree with a statement posted in a previos post in this thread, Michael has indeed become consumed by his "Michaelism" and clearly not everyone is going to be taken by the "Michaelism" but its the "Michaelism" that made him the landmark and "King of Pop" that he is today.Michael Jackon without the "Michaelism" would be incomplete 20 years from the early 80s..Imagine If we didn't have songs like "Jam" or "Scream", and their high paced, electrified performances. However what I hate with the "Michalism" is that people forget or purposly ignore the fact that Michael has a beautiful and versatile voice and can exhibit it if need be.the latest examples are "Butterflies" and "Break of Dawn".

Some guy who knows that Michael Jackson is my alter ego, aproached me to ask if I've got "Lady In my Life" He said that he did not know Michael could do anything like that, he admitted that he is not a fan of Michael but would like to collect all his slower songs because he likes what he does with them vocally. I played him , the motown 25 "Never can say goodbye" and he actually used the word "goosebumps" to explain what Michael's voice does to him, as if he where one of us.After I played him the part on LWMJ where he is singing "Smile", he said: "Wow he can still vibrate his voice even today"?.
To agree with a statement posted in a previos post in this thread, Michael has indeed become consumed by his "Michaelism" and clearly not everyone is going to be taken by the "Michaelism" but its the "Michaelism" that made him the landmark and "King of Pop" that he is today.Michael Jackon without the "Michaelism" would be incomplete 20 years from the early 80s..Imagine If we didn't have songs like "Jam" or "Scream", and their high paced, electrified performances. However what I hate with the "Michalism" is that people forget or purposly ignore the fact that Michael has a beautiful and versatile voice and can exhibit it if need be.the latest examples are "Butterflies" and "Break of Dawn".

Michael can sing high until the fiber glass breaks, I dont care! But aint nobody can touch this man... :)

Michael shows his versatility on every record of his, people just aren't bothering to listen. He sings fantastic ballads on all of his albums. And people have no appreciation for the timing and control it takes for Michael to incorpporate all of those vocal hiccups and sounds into his style. Try doing that, you'll end up sounding like you have the hiccups while trying to sing. It takes a musical ear unlike any other to time those right and to control your voice around it.

^Yeah I tried the hiccups thing...I figured how he did it ;) It's pretty cool.

michael's voice is amazing any one who says he cant sing is a complete idiot, i have never heard anything so stupid

michael's voice is amazing any one who says he cant sing is a complete idiot, i have never heard anything so stupid

You want to hear something REALLY stupid? I told my friend no matter what, even if he thinks he is a freak, EVERYBODY knows he is a legend. He said no he isn't. He told me he can hardly dance and his voice is normal and isn't that great.

WHAT?!!!! How the HELL can ANYBODY say that he can't dance? :blink:

Cause they're ignorant, dumb f****. Anyone who says that doesn't know jack about dancing.

Last edited:

If he can't dance then why are so many artists exhibiting his dancing formula? Why do most profesional dancers cite him as a big influence?
Tell your friend friend to wake up.

Dude, people are jealous that they don't have talent. Michael gives me ORGASMS with JUST his voice. We'll mention what he does to me with his other talents later....LMAO!!!!!!

Whenever i think about how good a singer he is I think of the 2nd verse in 'Man In The Mirror'

How he interprets the lyrics (love how he says 'pattern') :D

How he builds it up to the chorus.... takes it in small steps 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

Where most would go 1,4,7,10.

(hope that makes sense, lol)

I don't think I have ever heard anyone in person say to me that he can't sing, but I do know that a lot more people talk about his talents - meaning his dancing and performing - much more than his singing. I don't understand that at all. If I had to pick one, I would choose his singing, even though he is a phenomenal dancer. I think that most people who say that just haven't heard many of his songs or something or just simply have a completely different taste in music. Michael has such a beautiful range, he does most of the songs himself by layering it - which most artists don't do, he sings every song with emotion and sounds like he really does feel and mean every word and sound he makes. He's not just reading words off a page. Also, it is so smooth, and he transitions so well, and he's got great tone and sings in tune; I don't see a problem at all. They must just be tone deaf as someone else said, lol.

You want to hear something REALLY stupid? I told my friend no matter what, even if he thinks he is a freak, EVERYBODY knows he is a legend. He said no he isn't. He told me he can hardly dance and his voice is normal and isn't that great.

Whoever said that is trying to get you riled up; plain and simple. Seriously. Even people who don't like him at all, do not ever deny his talents. I remember seeing someone post on one of the AOL messageboards that their brother could dance better than Michael Jackson. How hilarious is that? Really? So he's a multimillionaire too? He should be. :lol:
Try to ignore that person or tell him that he must be jealous.

OMG i thought just the singing thing was stupid that is........i cnat even think of a word what the hell? has he even seen him perform?????

LMFAO!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, that is just too funny! Some people honestly need to use their blessing of EYE SIGHT!

These people who say MJ can't sing/dance remind me of Shakira's song "Ciega Sordomuda" meaning "Blind, Dumb And Deaf" LOL

Last edited:
Back