MJ Can't Sing?

Re: MJ Can't Sing?

I can releate to this. I was listening to "Man In The Mirror", and one of my nieces walked in, and said MJ couldn't sing very well. :rolleyes:
Pfft!! total garbage. MJ can sing. If he couldn't, he wouldn't have sold so many albums, nor have had such a large amount of fans. :D
MJ has so much to offer with his voice. He can make it sound high, or really deep. He's the most talented artist I've ever listened to.

what!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? Especially Man in the mirror is one of his greatest if not the best interpretation!!! Come on! It's my all time favourite MJ song, I've heard it 1.000.000.000.000.000 times...... Nobody could have sung that song with so much power, so much emotion!!!!!!!!!! Those hiccups, that lower voice he uses in the verses... It's simply amazing! And after that "change" OMG that ad-libbing of his is brilliant and unique.

I haven't heard anybody saying MJ can't sing. I'm totally surprised by this thread.

Sorry, but your niece doesn't understand what Michael's singing about in that song.

Last edited:
personally I'm glad that michael decided to dance instead of lip syncing cos when he is on stage, thats what i enjoy seeing him do the most his talent in dance cpmpliments his talent in music so well that it would make u cry if u was a sensitive sissy :yes: :p

:p actually I wanted to change it to Chaos but it couldnt be done so this was the next best thing

I think people who don't like Michael's music buy in the parody that Michael just has a "high pitched" voice, and is just full of "Hee Hees" and "Aoaw".

Idiots that don't think Michael can sing, have no idea of the 4 octive vocal range Michael Jackson, and how much control Michael has over his vocals. Michael's vocals have a lot of depth, and he can really convay many feelings through his voice like an actor. Plus Michael can sing just about any genre of music from Pop, Soul, Rock, Jazz, Broadway etc. People that don't know this can't say Michael can't sing, because that don't know who Michael Jackson is as an artist.

I think people who don't like Michael's music buy in the parody that Michael just has a "high pitched" voice, and is just full of "Hee Hees" and "Aoaw".

Idiots that don't think Michael can sing, have no idea of the 4 octive vocal range Michael Jackson, and how much control Michael has over his vocals. Michael's vocals have a lot of depth, and he can really convay many feelings through his voice like an actor. Plus Michael can sing just about any genre of music from Pop, Soul, Rock, Jazz, Broadway etc. People that don't know this can't say Michael can't sing, because that don't know who Michael Jackson is as an artist.

Exactly!!! I agree with every word! They are the loosers lol who doesn't know him or doesn't appreciate his talent. I'm sorry for them because they are definitely def lol

Very few singer have a good to great falsetto it's not easy and not everybody can do it well.

Who said he can't sing, of course he can sing, if you listen to the re-recordings of for all time his voice is so good even better than he was before for mw

Well I wouldnt say NO ONE is better than Michael. To me, the guy is in a league of is own. ;)

But whoever says Michael can't sing needs to go get their ears d-waxed or somethin...

People that make fun of MJ's talent are dumb. He did not sell 750 million solo albums just by CHANCE.. The man is art in human form. His vocal ability is AMAZING.

Vocalists STUDY his voice to become better singers.

They teach about him in dance classes
they teach about him in vocal classes
they teach about him in music classes
they teach about him in popular culture classes
They teach about him in marketing classes
They teach about him in media arts classes

He really is ART IN HUMAN FORM

WHAT A DESCRIPTION!
The best I have ever heard!

why do you care? Anyone who thinks that is just an idiot. This is not about taste or anything... its a fact/

Last edited:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Michael Jackson can't sing?
Oh please.

I was reading an article on how the voice works today from a science magazine, and it says, given the size of the vocal cords, how amazing it is that the human voice can make such varid and large sounds. But it also speaks about the typical frequency range of people, meaning octave range:

"Nature has addressed these problems (the issue of vocal cords being technically too short to apply proper stress to vibrate as higher frequencys) by constructing the vocal folds out of a three-part material that displays properties not found in standard instrument strings. One component is a ligament that looks somewhat stringlike, which is why the folds came to be called "cords" popularly. Scientists have shown in biomechanical tests that the stress in this ligament rises nonlinearly when it is stretched just a little; it can be virtually limp when short but impressively tense when elongated. Stretching its length from 1.0 to just 1.6 centimeters, for example, can raise its internal stress by a factor of 30, which would yield a frequency change ratio of more than 5 to 1. But the fact that the length increases by 60 percent lowers the vibration rate, brining the true frequency ratio back to around 3 to 1, about one and a half octaves in musical terms. Most of us speak and sing in this frequency range, but some singers (this being Michael right here folks) can produce as much as four to five octaves, which is still considered extraordinary by scientists."

It's rare to have a range so large as Michael's, really rare. People need to realize how talented he really is.

And another excerpt from this article which speaks to why singers who have excellent control of their voices with excellent transition, such as Michael, are so impressive.

"It is not hard to imagine the complicated control system and innervation of the laryngeal muscles needed to finely regulate these tensions to produce a desired frequency and volume level. Laryngeal muscles outside the vocal folds precisely coordinate length changes in the vocal fold. During these complicated manipulations, voice quality may suddenly change, a phenomemon known as registration. It is caused to a large extent by overusing or underusing the vocal-fold muscle to regulate tension. Sinters use registration artistically to present two contrasting sounds to the listener, as in yodeling. If a singer involuntarily or accidentally changes register, however, it can cause embarrassment, because such a slip suggests a lack of control of the singer's instrument."

Singing is a real, complex and intricat talent and one's control and range are two technical aspects one uses to determine natural talent. Michael has the most excellent control of transition and range, plus he's got the best quality.

Since the vocal cord is made up of three different materials, "The Ligament", "The Muscle" and "The Mucous Membrane", it is very difficult to control and another exerpt explains why.

"How can this triple-decker system be played over several octave so as to produce a single frequency? Only with much experience and dexterity. Chaotic effects always lurk in the background during vocalizations as multiple natural (freely vibrating) frequencies compete in these tissues for dominance. This competition may result in unexpected pitch jumps or roughness in the sound (meaning bad transition between the chest, head and falsetto registers, in which you can detect or hear the change. It should be seamless if you're a truly good singer). For low pitches and moderate-to-loud sound volumes, the singer activates the vocal fold muscle and sets all the layers into vibration. The vocal folds are short, and the muscle stress largely determines the pitch. In this case, the mucosa and the ligament are both relaxed and serve mainly to propagate the desired surface waves for self-sustained oscillation. For the sound volume to be reduced at these pitches, the muscle does not vibrate and is used only to adjust the vocal-fold length. It is the combined elasticity of the mucosa and ligament that determines the frequency. To creat high pitches, the singer elongates the vocal fold; ligament stree alone thn dictates the frequency shile the mucosa carries the surface wave."

Last edited:

Damn straight! You're point about belting is well taken too. It's actually an incorrect form of singing, usually done by vocalists who push their chest registers to the very outer limits to lend the same richness of that voice to higher notes. You're supposed to sing in your head voice for higher ranges, neglecting to do so can damage the vocal cords.

I know I've already said this somewhere in this thread, forgive my habit of being repetitive, lol, but Michael has been stated, by his voice coach Seth Riggs, to have a range of 4 octaves, all connected, meaning from his lowest range to his highest, not including falsetto. He sings well into low base and well passed high C in his upper range. Seth has also described doing vocal warm ups with Michael as the equivalent to fine tuning a Ferrari. Also, according to someone I've spoken too who is also a student of Seth's, Seth say's Michael is the most talented male vocalist he's ever heard, and Seth is Stevie Wonder's voice coach, he was Luther Vandross's voice coach, Barbra Striesand's voice coach, etc... and he said also that people have no idea just how gifted he is as he holds back to an incredible extent on his records. This same person told me that Michael will sing a song that is going to end up on his album for Seth to work out any kinks, do it incredibly, and then proceed to record, on purpose, a lesser version for the album. Seth supposedly has asked Michael why he does this, and Michael doesn't have an answer for him. I've also been told by this person that they've heard some of Michael's vocal lessons, and his transition from register to register is the best, extremely clean, seamless and controlled, that he has an unbelievable capacity to hold notes, for people that think he has bad wind capacity. That's the mark of a good singer, someone who transitions between the registers without any detection of a change, without any indication of a break; it just flows together without you even hearing it. Michael does that unbelievably well. Michael's the best vocalist, he's a consummate professional beyond what most people can ever imagine, his natural gift is a phenomenon. The depth and dimension of his voice is more intricate then any other singer I think I've ever heard, it literally changes with each note. A lot of singer’s voices are one dimensional, they let through a solid, nice sound, but that's all they've got. Michael's got a range of colors and textures to his voice more vast then any other. Couple that with his genius in expressing emotion, and he can't be beat. He makes you feel when he sings, he rips the core of a song out and shows it bare to you, he let's you hear the essence of it, he makes you unsure if he is the singer or the song. That's brilliance. Technically, he is the best, and emotionally, he is the best. He holds back, so we don't even know how good he is really.

I wanted to know the reason why he holds back. :(
His voice is already excellent, just imagine if he doesn't hold back that much, that'd be incredible.

Last edited:
BEcuz they r dumb retarded twats lol. mj cant sing is like saying the sky isnt blue or red is green...it doesnt make sense lol

People who say M can't sing are jus not good listeners. My teacher tried to tell me that he wasn't a very good singer but a great performer. For people who say that, they must not have heard

Elizabeth, I Love you, Man in the mirror and You Are Not Alone

hey
michael jackson can sing he can sing just like bird in sky of rainbow
hey he can sing he can nobody can sing like him

I think Michael has a better voice then Luther Vandross, he has a better range, his control QUOTE]

wow, i totally disagree with you on that, you obviously have not heard "Crazy Love" off of the "Secret Love" LP. Luther's style was different than Michael's(who can sing) but Luther's voice was more finely tuned and smoother. in "Crazy Love" the timing and build-up is amazing and you heard him hitting all different sort of notes.

Where did that quote come from? I don't recall typing that. Anyway, you can disagree with it. But it is fact that Michael has a wider range. Seth Riggs was and is both singers vocal coach and this is from his own mouth. Michael had a range, in the 80s, of 3 and 8/12 octave, and in the 90s, it expanded to 4, while Luther had a range of 3 octaves. Luther's voice is hardly better then Michael's, and in fact, I find Michael's voice to be far more beautiful in quality. Luther, while he had a great voice, was not more "finely tuned", whatever that means, then Michael. Seth has likend working with Michael to the process of fine tuning a Ferrari. He's technically as profecient and as talented as any singer, with his seamless transition between registers, his amazing octave range, his versatility, his timing, his emotiveness and his timbre.

Last edited:
Michael has always had an amazing voice.

End of discussion!

lol

I think people forget that Michael is a singer first, or is one in general. They're so captivated and/or he's so well known for his stage presence and music videos that they forget about his voice.

Especially those of whom who aren't familiar with his Jackson 5/The Jacksons/Off the Wall work, when he was more focused on his voice than his dance steps.

Also, MJ has a tendency to make some weird gibberish in his songs with harsh delivery, so people don't focus on the singing just the video [of whatever that may be]. So if someone were to ask "Can Michael Jackson sing?" They'll probably respond like "uh...not really, he's okay."

Very true!

yeah...michael can't sing.....and pigs can fly

lol

michael's voice is incredible....:)

come on leave him alone he can sing leave him alone

come on people
you're making me mad so stop it yes michael jackson can sing and ance like nobody else

Back