MJ Tribute BET Awards 2010 *Update Chris Brown Speaks Up Post 214*

Re: MJ Tribute BET Awards 2010 *Merged*

The tears at the end were just a cover because he couldn't pull off a kick ass song like Man In The Mirror. Other than that it was decent. Like high school talent show decent.

The tears at the end were just a cover because he couldn't pull off a kick ass song like Man In The Mirror. Other than that it was decent. Like high school talent show decent.

It was a nice tribute- But this just makes me realize even more (not that I didn't know already) that MJ is the absolutely greatest entertainer of all time. Nobody and I mean nobody can ever touch him. chris Brown or anybody could have ever performed MITM like MJ- that song is such a classic and soo hard to pull off- only Michael could've done it. I think Chris Brown's saving grace was to break down because he probably would have ruined the performance of that song. Only MJ can perform that song!!

Sorry guys, but Chris was horrible, like the worst MJ impersonator, it was like a parody of Michael.
I really did not like it.

:doh::bugeyed

I saw it more as an interpretation, with some of MJ's moves and his own incorporated, which is why it might appear as a parody. No one truly impersonates Michael. They might do his moves accurately or sing one of his songs beautifully, but I haven't seen anyone do a complete MJ with perfection that makes me jump to my feet and say wow. But I've seen "performances" that standing on their own were good. That's what this performance was for me.

Re: BET Awards 2010 w/ stream

Love prince but to wear your own drawn image on your clothes..Love yourself much lool..

:toofunny: hehe I love Prince..

Prince will never do a tribute to anybody. That's not his thing, he didn't even do one for James Brown or Miles Davis.

Prince did a tribute to Michael..he sang Shake Your body in a performance in France

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNRXzWl7Jg

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...n-5-It-is-always-sad-to-lose-someone-you-love

And I also think he did a cover to Billie Jean..it was on YT but I cant find it anymore

Its not about perfection and moves, its about the artists (Chris) paying tribute to someone (Michael) and that means IMO - be yourself and sing/play the artists´ songs by yourself, not imitate them. but in Chris´case it was the expected act, dancing and singing like Michael, but it was horrible. It had the opposite effect.

You saw the Prince tribute...

The only positive point for me is that all the stars (Prince, Eminem and co.) saw the MJ tribute, it was about the point, they were at the audience watching MJ tribute.

Thats the only positive point for me.

What I am afraid of... is that the more tributes to Michael like this one, the more people will be pissed off of that.
Michael Michael, everywhere Michael.

but hell yes, Michael is the KING

Re: MJ Tribute BET Awards 2010

At least I backed my argument with an example of how MJ would react to the behavior of people around him. If you want me to believe otherwise please provide a counter-example of instances where Michael knowingly got involved with bad people. Because that would be incompatible with the perfectionist image we all know him for.

MICHAEL MILKEN, went to prison for wall street insider trading. A Function was held for MR MILKEN upon his release from prison. MJ not only attended, he took the stage to sing MR MILKEN,S praises. MJ did not shun KOBEY BRYANT,after his rape allegations. I would bet he reached out to CHRIS BROWN.

Prince did a tribute to Michael..he sang Shake Your body in a performance in France
I know about that. Prince will perform songs in concert, but will not participate in an organized tribute. He feels it's idol worship, and according to the bible, no one should be put before Jehovah. That's why he told the audience to sit down at the awards, it was too much for him. Since BET was giving him this award, Prince selected the acts he wanted to sing his songs. Otherwise it is highly unlikely Esperanza Spalding would have been invited, nor Chaka Khan. I'm surprised they had El Debarge there and did the little tribute to Teddy Pendergrass, although they should have used Jahiem instead of Tyrese. I didn't like that they showed a picture of Lena Horne, but other than that basically ignored her. There wouldn't be a BET if not for performers like Lena, Louis Armstrong, Paul Roberson, Sam Cooke, Mahalia Jackson, etc.

^^^

Ha, Michael was in fact a Jehova's Witness and raised as one since he was born until he was an adult. He decided to leave the church when he was in his 20's or something.

Isn't this thread about Michael though? Why are we talking about Prince so much in here? I'm a fan of the Purple One, but I don't get it. There's a thread for that in the "Music makes the world go 'round" section.

Can this thread just stick to being all about Michael please?

Womp womp. Hated the "tribute". HATED it. I hated it so much I wanted to throw my TV out the window. How can you stage your comeback on that man's legacy? I will never accept that. All that crying and carrying on? Please.

I'm gonna just forget that I even saw it and never speak of it again and move on because Michael wouldn't want me to hate on that little boy. But as far as I'm concerned it was a hot mess and a half.

^^^

Ha, Michael was in fact a Jehova's Witness and raised as one since he was born until he was an adult. He decided to leave the church when he was in his 20's or something.

Isn't this thread about Michael though? Why are we talking about Prince so much in here? I'm a fan of the Purple One, but I don't get it. There's a thread for that in the "Music makes the world go 'round" section.

Can this thread just stick to being all about Michael please?
This was a separate thread in the "Music" section, but the threads were merged.

I know about that. Prince will perform songs in concert, but will not participate in an organized tribute. He feels it's idol worship, and according to the bible, no one should be put before Jehovah. That's why he told the audience to sit down at the awards, it was too much for him. Since BET was giving him this award, Prince selected the acts he wanted to sing his songs. Otherwise it is highly unlikely Esperanza Spalding would have been invited, nor Chaka Khan. I'm surprised they had El Debarge there and did the little tribute to Teddy Pendergrass, although they should have used Jahiem instead of Tyrese. I didn't like that they showed a picture of Lena Horne, but other than that basically ignored her. There wouldn't be a BET if not for performers like Lena, Louis Armstrong, Paul Roberson, Sam Cooke, Mahalia Jackson, etc.

oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info..I had no idea that he became very religious. I'm not following his personal life..just love his music.

This was a separate thread in the "Music" section, but the threads were merged.

true. :yes:

WOW. Some of the comments on Chris Brown is down right rude. The man just did a tribute to Michael in Public for the First time on BET. He does this on his tour, every tour he does. Tribute is not being perfect as the original. It is what you DO From your heart.

And for the one who said that the tears at the end was a cover up cuz he couldnt sing? Seriously dude, Thats just sad. So now CB cant cry? Why not? Beyonce cried on her tour when giving a tribure to Mike? So is that a cover up to cuz she cant sing his song? Thats just messed up man.

Otherwise, The BET MJ Tribute IMHO Was great. I Like CB, eventhough he'd done some mistakes, which we all make BTW. He's apologized. A wise person forgives but never forgets. I hope he's alright!

PRINCE! Dude I like him. He's calmer and collected than the last time I've seen him. He's talented and is a good musician. He has influenced people and for that, and thats not an easy thing to do.

Overall, I'm glad they did a MJ Tribute, I watched only that part. was kinda sad that TII Didnt win Best Movie, but hey, we cant have everything right?

Damn, I've said I'd stop ranting about celebrities being treated like Sh!t on here. Sorry for breaking that promise. I'm gonna stop now...:D

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Its not about perfection and moves, its about the artists (Chris) paying tribute to someone (Michael) and that means IMO - be yourself and sing/play the artists´ songs by yourself, not imitate them. but in Chris´case it was the expected act, dancing and singing like Michael, but it was horrible. It had the opposite effect.

You saw the Prince tribute...

Only checked out CB on youtube because of all the mentions on the net. Will check out Prince tribute.

But speaking of artists just singing another artist's song in honor of them, I remember Liza Minneli (who I generally love) singing one of MJ's songs at MSG in 2001, can't remember which--I purposely forgot. It was an absolutely terrible performance!! And she was being herself. I thought Chris' performance was tons better, even if it was imitation/interpretation. I wasn't that familiar with CB prior to the Rhianna incident, but have come to understand he often brought MJ into his act. So my seeing him doing a MJ set on BET stood on its own merit, and again I thought he did a good job.

oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info..I had no idea that he became very religious. I'm not following his personal life..just love his music.
Yeah, he quit performing a lot of his old songs like Darling Nikki and changes the lyrics on others and cut out the profanity. He fines band members or staff that uses profanity around him. That's probably why he wasn't present for the entire award show and showed up long after it started. He even recorded what is probably the only JW album in history The Rainbow Children.

CHRIS BROWN, has paid his dues. He went through the american criminal justice system. He accepted his punishment. He has apologized ad nauseam. He deserves a second chance. Let him get on with his career. I accept his apology.!!!!

wow.i have to say it's a great and beautiful tribute.it made me cry especially when it came to MITM.:cry:

I thought he did a good job. I am glad we could still hear Michael's voice in the songs while Chris was dancing. Like Michael was there. I loved the pictures of Michael on the stage. Obviously no one can dance like Michael but I thought he did good. Stevie Wonder and Usher have broken down singing a Michael song too. Man in the Mirror is a tough song. I think if Chris Brown really understands what he did was wrong and lives his life showing that and doing good things then people will eventually give him a chance. It will take time.

For me the best tribute will always be This is It. It was all Michael and he showed the world why he is the best by just being himself.

He did it from the bottom of his heart.
I believe in him while he,s doing this tribute to your hero.
It,s also his hero, we may not forget that.

We know how Michael was ridicueled and judged by people on what they have heard in the media.
We should not even go there doing that to another artist..

He payd hus dues....
Let,s go on.

Well that made me bawl like a baby. How I felt Chris' pain. I know he did a terrible thing that I don't condone but he's paid his dues and been crucified for it. He's young and we need to move on from that. He loved Michael and it was a beautiful tribute.

Didn't watch the awards, but saw Chris Brown's tribute on youtube. It was very good. The Smooth Criminal part was really cool and I loved that he threw Remember The Time in there. Then him breaking down on stage was really touching. You can see how much he loves MJ and is inspired by him. :)

Never thought I would care about Chris Brown, but after seeing his tribute, i'm rooting for him to get his career back.

No you want to see high school talent go to 2300 Jackson street section and check out Randy's daughter Genevive doing Human Nature at the family tribute show. now that is high school talent show

I have no idea how two threads got merged from what I started in the music section.

1. It was about the whole of the BET's
2. I didnt even mention Michael in my original post.

lol never mind

Amazing tribute by Chris Brown, I forgive him.

He made that change.

that pic of jacksons with joe is fake right..Why did u put joe in it lol
It's not fake, it was taken in 2001.
281ekx1.jpg

chris brown hurt my heart when he cried love him always

Back