Re: Recommend an album

Nirvana - Nevermind
B000003TA4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Angels and Airwaves - I empire
412ctHvHAOL.jpg

Last edited:

Janet Discipline

HOT! LOVE IT! Classic Janet w/ a modern twist :)

I was a huge Maroon 5 fan, but the album disappointed me :(

I mean, I can listen to it, and I do like some songs, but IMO Songs about Jane is a genius compared to the new one. It's kinda too commercial. But that's just my opinion ;)

Really?? I have Songs about Jane and i think both have it's good points.

SONGS is really raw, and romantic, but that's about it...This Love had some serious catchy melodies but that's the only song on the album that had that. Theres a little in Harder To Breathe. And those are my favorites off that album. However I appreciate the raw and brilliant song writing on that album. The Sun, for example...beaaaaaaautiful. Something that I can chill too.

IT WON'T BE SOON is has some really funky ish on it. And the brilliant melodies in This Love and Harder To Breathe return! Thats the main thing i like about it. Everything on the album is extreeeemely catchy. There are great awesome beats, and instead of wanting to chill, I wanna dance. And I like the fact that they sound a bit like Jamaroiqui (sp?) cuz I love them as well lol In addition, although its more commercial, i don't think it's TOO commercial, since i don't think anything that sounds like disco (which is what it sounds like)...is commercial anymore lol.

Anyways, I respect ur opinion, i just had to rant about how great M5 is lol

Last edited:

Ok so since I am also a John Mayer fan......I recommend all of his albums!
But, since not everybody likes Mayer as much as I do.

I recommend:
Continuum - John Mayer.

P10369325.gif

Different than his previous albums. More soul in it, I believe. Good stuff.

Voodoo - D'Angelo

5783.jpg

I love this man's voice. Spanish Joint is a killer song from the album.

Mute Math - MuteMath

mutemath.jpg

They are very new still. Been round for about 2 years maybe. Good starter song to listen to is Control. They are Christian based, but this album is....secular....i guess... However you wanna go with it. They play all kinds of weird synth sounds and mix drum beats together with them. Their shows are really hyped too if you ever to see one. The stage is set up like an obstacle course of instruments! Great band for any alternative/rock/pop lovers. They remind me of The Killers on crack or something like that! Ha! ok...anyway.

Corrine Bailey Rae - self titled

music_review_corrine_bailey_ray_223.jpg

She has an amazing voice, and very mellow music to listen to.

I could go on with the recommendations, but i'll stop there.....for now!

^ i would say Continuum is more Blues influenced..... good album.

Matchbox20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
c57556x3535.jpg

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
d83779ui5tb.jpg

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
f89289qfmrt.jpg

Mandy Moore - Wild Hope
Sara Bareilles - Little Voice
Jennifer Lopez - Brave

I gotta recommend Kanye West's 'Graduation' album as well. As little as I listen to hip hop, I simply love Kanye.
Make sure you check out at least 'Everything I Am', 'Flashing Lights' and 'I Wonder'.

Hotter_July.jpg

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's not my favorite Stevie album, but this album is "cross-roads" Stevie: it's not quite the heavy-hitting funk and soul of his 70's work and it's not quite as poppy as his mid-late 80's work, but it's right dab in between and offers a mix of funk, R&B, soul, and dance tracks.

1. Did I Hear You Say You Love Me - This is a great opener and will inspire you to get up and dance.

2. All I Do - This is an older track Stevie wrote for Tammi Terrell back in the day, and he updated it with synths, funky bass and horns and got some backing vocals from Eddie Levert and Michael Jackson. It's a head-bobber.

3. Rocket Love - Another album high on instrumentation. Stevie makes some good use of his own voice on both lead and backing vocals, and it's one of his more intense string arrangements. The lyrics are really nice... "The passion burning in your heart would make hell's fire seem like a spark, where did it go?"

4. I Ain't Gonna Stand For It - This is Stevie's stroll into country/rock territory. It's not quite either of those, but that's the impression you'll get on the opening lines. "Don't wanna believe what they're tellin' me.. somebody's been pickin' in my cherry tree..." Eric Clapton covered this song.

5. As If You Read My Mind - Awesome piano and harmonica work for a funky track.

6. Master Blaster (Jammin') - Stevie's first, but not last, venture into reggae. It's got a funky bassline and excellent ad-libs. "I betcha if someone approached you yesterday to tell you that you would be jammin' you would not believe them because you never thought that you would be jammin'!" It is also a tribute to his good friend and someone he toured with, legendary reggae musician Bob Marley. It's a staple of his live shows to this day.

7. Do Like You - Tells a story of a young boy who wants to be a dancer... not quite as lame as it sounds once you hear the instrumentation. It's a dance track.

8. Cash In Your Face - One of Stevie's scathing social issue songs that takes a look at racism in the housing department... racial tensions were still high and this deals with the issue of people being turned away from renting an apartment due to their skin color. The title is not about money in someone's face, but rather their inability to cash in their face for a new one, or a new skin color. The landlord says to a black man: "You might have the cash but you cannot cash in your face, we don't want you livin' here.."

9. Lately - This is an R&B standard. This is a sparse track heavy on piano, synth bass and Stevie's vocals. Jodeci later covered this and had a major hit.

10. Happy Birthday - An important song in black history: this song rallied for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday to become a national holiday. With the help of other celebs and political figures, this would become a reality.

"You know it doesn't make much sense
There ought to be a law against
Anyone who takes offense
At a day in your celebration
'Cause we all know in our minds
That there ought to be a time
That we can set aside
To show just how much we love you
And I'm sure you will agree
It couldn't fit more perfectly
Than to have a world party on the day you came to be

Happy birthday to you..."

I think anyone who listens to this album regardless of whether or not they are Stevie fans will find this album easy to listen to and a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Good thread, I was going to start a ''must listen' albums' thread for inspiration.. I want to add to my collection! So I'll take a look here and hope other people add their recommendations. It'd also be nice to hear about unsigned or upcoming artists that people here have discovered.

Q's Jook Joint... I've been really enjoying that album lately. I have an Ella Fitzgerald tribute concert done in 2007 where Dave Koz and Ruben Studdard did a fantastic version of "Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me", and it turns out the arrangement was first done on Q's Jook Joint by Phil Collins.

[youtube]XamIrSG7Xjw[/youtube]

Several fantastic artists and songs on this one. Between Back on the Block and this album, I've been listening to a lot of Q lately.

these are the ones i enjoy and hope you guys will to.

Hanson- The Walk
walk_art.jpg

Hanson-Underneath
HansonUnder_album_large.jpg

Hanson's NEW EP "Stand Up, Stand Up" which u can only get on their website Hanson.net or on tour!
l_ce5e00cc116c4a48878c44356558cc3c.jpg

P!nk-FunHouse
pink-fundhouse-cover-thumb.jpg

P!nk-MissUnderstood
Pink_album_cover.jpg

Alanis Morrissette-Jagged Little Pill ( i know it was mentioned already but its such a great album!)
morissette-alanis-587-l.jpg

Daughtry-Daughtry
3310112.jpg

Those are great albums and i hope you guys check them out if you have never herd them before! Also PLEASE give Hanson a chance!!! They came a LONG way since Mmmbop and they sound WAY different from before!!! :)

The last good album I listened to was The Weeknds Starboy.. check out the tracks that do not have singles released yet, a lot to skim through.. 18 tracks total on the album.

Back