[Study for thesis] Which MJ period is your favorite, physically speaking?

Which MJ period do you prefer (describe which elements)

• The "sparkles period" of Off the wall/Thriller

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • The "Leather period" of Thriller/Bad

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • The "military period" of Dangerous/HIStory

Votes: 39 39.4%

• Total voters

Ourania

Proud Member
This is the first of a series of inquiry which will help me in my research process:

By the title question I mean, which of his styles do you prefer. Do you prefer:

- Off the wall/Thriller era with the sparkles and the teenage grin
- Thriller/Bad era with more leather and masculine approach
- Dangerous/HIStory type with the military style and the legendary icon

Describe what you prefered in your favorite period, the sparkle jacket from Billie Jean, the leather jackets from Beat it and Thriller, the leather costume from Bad, the military outfit from the HIStory teaser, etc...

Last edited:
Re: Which MJ period is your favorite, physically speaking?

My fave is the Dangerous era, the blackorwhite look with the armbands and fingertape. :)

I love the sparkles and the tight curls of OTW/Thriller

BUT I love the crossover between Bad and Dangerous where is was leather and military ^^

i can't decide, i think im between the first 2 options but his military style is also very cool!

History, my favorite outfit of all time of his is the one he had on in the History teaser with him walking down with soldiers, he was looking and walking so cool.

They're all pretty awesome but I went with the sparkles during OTW and Thriller. :) Love it.
He had such great style though.

Oh a thread in my taste :)

I love something from all "eras".
The Beat It and Thriller jackets are imortal.

But during the Dangerous/HIStory era I was really feeling his military approach, and the other clothings (especially jackets and CTE shirts) that came along.

I could talk for days about MJ's fashion and the importance of it... so I'll just shut up before I get too carried away :p

It was a difficult choice between the thriller/bad era and the Dangerous/History era but I went for the thriller/bad era.

It used to be Bad ( And there are SOOOO many bad fans out there ) but now it's Dangerous. That white shirt/black pants ensemble is awesome.

Man..it was a tossup between Thriller/Bad and Dangerous/HIStory. I loooooved them both completely. I went ahead for Thriller/Bad though...he was in his prime then!

I chose the Off The Wall/Thriller era... because that was when I first fell in love with Michael and his art, of course. I wanted to be as cool as he was. I wanted to be a dancer in one of his videos/movies, too--especially "Thriller." I wanted to be a Girl Zombie-Dancer SO BAD! I was so jealous of the girl zombies. :p Don't know how many times I've watched that video and the making of. I iz sad, too, cuz I never got to get me a "Beat It Jacket" or sparkly socks. We were too poor back then. :weeping:

The Thriller era was a huge part of the "military" period too.

The Thriller era was a huge part of the "military" period too.

True dat! :cool: It was just "Sparkly Military" stuff. :yes: He made "The Military Jacket" one of his signature jackets in the 80s. Too many younguns' on this board. :p I'm thinking that his 'later looks' will get the most votes because of the younguns' ... so the results will be somewhat unbalanced, obviously.

Michael_Jackson.jpg

Michael_Jackson_20090626135443.jpg

1303927_f520.jpg

michaeljackson_tribute2.jpg

293_jackson_michael_jacket_lc_0218096.jpg

Last edited:
I will take into accounts the ages for the periods ;). It is true that the "eras" are ill-defined, because it sort of evolves slowly and each era has a bit of the preceding and following, but trying to discern a tendency, I got this as the most "logical" pattern. Thanks a loooot for your answers (and pictures ;)), don't hesitate to keep on posting. It is true that a majority falls for the leather and military styles, which actually serves my theory (it is the same for the French fans I asked), that most have favored the periods during which Michael built his legendary alter-ego.

Dangerous era- simple white t, black slacks, armband, tape on fingers, sexy long curls, incredible military jackets. He was beyond perfect in Black and White! He looks the sexiest in that video than any other vid!

I can't choose, because Michael has always looked hot! :wub:

Definitely Dangerous period for me but I don't disdain the black rubbish pants of the Bad Era :innocent:

Dangerous/History era, including the golden pants of course! :)

The buckles and the belts and the finger tapes and the hair and the pants and the ripped shirts and just the raw sexiness that was the Bad era! I have to throw the Black or White and Give In To Me looks in there as well! *drools*

I love the sparkles and the tight curls of OTW/Thriller

BUT I love the crossover between Bad and Dangerous where is was leather and military ^^

Same here.

I remember as a kid in the Thriller era all those sparkles made MJ seem even more like magic to me. The sparkles combined with how he lit up the tiles on the Billie Jean video and how he moonwalked at Motown 25 all made him seem like magic to me.

True dat! :cool: It was just "Sparkly Military" stuff. :yes: He made "The Military Jacket" one of his signature jackets in the 80s. Too many younguns' on this board. :p I'm thinking that his 'later looks' will get the most votes because of the younguns' ... so the results will be somewhat unbalanced, obviously.

That's so true. This board has a lot more young folks than I thought it would. In fact I'd venture to guess that the majority of active posters here are 25 and under.

On one hand, I think it's cool that Mike inspired all these young people even through the 90's and 00's, but on the other hand, it seems a little awkward sometimes trying to relate with everybody about how the 80's era was because a lot of peeps hadn't even been born yet! It's one thing to see videos of what it was like and another thing to have lived through the magic (there I go using that word again lol) of those years.

Back