Who uses foundation and why or why not?

Sadly I don't have clear skin and I get very self concious so I have worn foundation ever since I was a teenager. I don't get spots much anymore but my skin tone is quite uneven. I always used to go for the cheaper ones, and as my skin is quite oily, by the middle of the day it was so shiny I had to reapply it. I'm using Lancome's Teint Idole Matte at the moment, very pricey but I really like it. Skin still a little bit shiny but no where near as much, plus it actually stays on.

I have the same issue. I use MAC cosmetics, though. I used to wear clinique, which is excellent, but since my skin is pale and olive, very few makeup companies make that shade. Most of the fair shades have pink undertones for Anglo-Saxon skin (all of Clinique's had this, which is easier to overlook in the winter, but very noticeably different from my skin undertone in the summer), and the olive ones are really dark, for rich Mediterranean olive to light brown skin colours.

MAC has a more diverse selection of foundation, though. They do carry a fair albeit not "pink" foundation, which is what I use now. The coverage is excellent and lasts all day despite the humid temperatures here. I greatly recommend it to all. My skin is also oily, but the MAC foundation is able to stay on and not "cake" despite that.

Sadly I don't have clear skin and I get very self concious so I have worn foundation ever since I was a teenager. I don't get spots much anymore but my skin tone is quite uneven. I always used to go for the cheaper ones, and as my skin is quite oily, by the middle of the day it was so shiny I had to reapply it. I'm using Lancome's Teint Idole Matte at the moment, very pricey but I really like it. Skin still a little bit shiny but no where near as much, plus it actually stays on.

I tend to think you get what you pay for with foundation. I think foundation is something you need to pay a little more money for to find a good one. Drugstore brands tend to come in funky colors and consistencies. Foundation is another thing that I can't find my HG. I've used mineral makeup on and off for years but it just accentuates every pore on my face and lately I've developed a problem with blackheads on my nose, and mineral makeup makes them very well-known.

My latest foundation purchase is Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ foundation from Sephora. Should be here tomorrow. It's long-wear, matte finish, full coverage, and I sure hope the lightest shade matches (Alabaster).

Never tried foundation before though would like to get Lancome's foundation soon. Normally I only use sunblock,mascara and lately tinting my lips and a bit on the cheek before going out :)

I use a local natural mineral foundation 'cos of my uneven "teenager"/oily skin. But not on daily basis, mostly on special occasions only. I'm just too lazy to put on make-up every day :D

Ever since I've been getting more Vitamin A in my daily regimen, my skin has seemed to improve in appearance. There is a glow to it, and the color of it seems more even across my face. I used to think that it's "just something you read on the internet" that Vitamin A provides this benefit, but I was wrong. It really is true. If my face weren't so oily then I'd never need foundation because I think that VA has helped somewhat.

Foundation does make me look better but it has its drawbacks (I use powder foundation). Within a couple hours, my skin feels dirty. Makeup naturally does do this. I tend to break out if I use it on a regular basis. And I know that's a "taboo" thing to wear makeup to bed, but I hate washing my face in order to do this, so I've never done it. But it is bad for you to wear makeup to bed. After a long day, my face does feel hideous if I wore makeup - without the foundation and/or powder, I don't need to worry about what my face will look like in 3 to 4 hours - I know it will be the same. I also wonder if I could keep my skin looking younger by not wearing it regularly. My mom has this miracle gene where she is 62 and she has no wrinkles on her face except when she frowns really strong LOL:) As a result, she looks really cute. When I was around 26, someone thought I was 18, so I think I got her genes on that - and she didn't wear much makeup in her life either.

I so envy those who don't need to wear foundation on a daily basis.

So do I (sigh).

I'm just coming off of terrible acne episode on my chin. I needed foundation to conceal it while I went to work but as soon as I got home I washed it all off to let my skin breathe then applied topical medicine. They are healing. My dermatologist tells me since most of my breakouts happen on my chin area that this is a sign of hormonal issues (which seem to have followed me from adolescence all the way into peri-menopause yay! LOL

Last edited:
I use foundation almost everyday, except of course when I'm having a lazy day at home. I think I look tons better with it on than without. I have these dark circles under my eyes which really do my head in, and because I'm naturally quite pale, the foundation I use (currently using Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid - Light Porcelain) gives me a bit more colour, evens out my skin and gives me a much healthier look.

I am careful not to overload and cake my face though, as many girls tend to do. That's not good at all. It looks awful and is bad for the skin. Also, getting the colour right is another thing. Orange faces are really, really not good. I make sure my face is clean before anything, apply a thin layer of moisturiser and then a thin layer of foundation - which I then set with a light dusting of power. Sorted.

I'm very happy with the foundation I'm using at the moment. I mean, it's never going to stay on ALL day long without rubbing off a teeny bit (despite what the adverts tell you), and it really blends well.. colour-wise and texture-wise. I used to be a L'Oreal girl, using True Match and Infallible - but I didn't get on with either of them.

Oh, the joys of being a woman.

I don't use it on a daily basis. Just on special occasions.
Like some already said, I'm thankful I don't HAVE TO.
Matter of fact, I don't even wear make-up everyday.

I wear foundation because i think i look better with it.

I don't wear foundation because my skin gets too oily, if I don't wash my face on a regular basis, I break out.. :(

I don't use it on a daily basis. Just on special occasions.
Like some already said, I'm thankful I don't HAVE TO.
Matter of fact, I don't even wear make-up everyday.

Same with me...Although, I do wear make-up everyday for work...Other than that, I just get too lazy to put it on all the time...I have pretty clear skin now, I used to break out a lot more before, even through my 20s....But it seems to have settled down now..

This is what I use and it's honestly the greatest stuff I've ever used...It's PERFECT...The I usually can't use liquid foundation because my skin will get too shiny...But even without a translucent powder, my skin does not get shiny with this foundation...It is literally a perfect match for my skin tone...Stays from the moment I put it on in the morning to the time I wash it off at night...It doesn't budge....Also, since I've started using it, my skin almost never breaks out and it's got such a healthy glow to it..It's almost like it's more beneficial than a cleanser, or at least does what a cleanser is supposed to do...:D

The only downside is that it's a tad expensive...But, I've spent way more just trying to find a perfect foundation, and they've all let me down or never really matched my skin...

http://www.ybskin.com/products/detail/index/id/13_52

Last edited:
I do! :hiya:
my skin is pretty normal, I have slight redness around my t-zone so I cover it up with foundation. I don't everyday but I do if im going to college etc. I either use a bb cream ( which is lighter and makes my skin a lot more fresh and dewy looking, instead of matte and completely done up) on week days to dance in, because I don't wanna be sweating underneath all that makeup :lol: im studying dance at college so wearing foundation would be abit too much, but bb creams are an awesome alternative. I love maybellines dream pure bb cream. its the BEST :D i add a tiny bit of moisturizer to the bb cream and mix it, so it glides on my skin better . on other days though I like to wear thicker foundatons and jazz up my makeup abit more, I love Revlon colourstay foundation, its amazing! :dancing: :heart: I always blend it and use powders, so they stay matte for longer. I like rimmels stay matte powder and laura gellers balance n brighten :giggle: which is pretty expensive! :bugeyed: its around £35 but its amazing :D

Last edited:
All of my life I have but rarely worn foundation. In my twenties probably just a handful of times when going somewhere nice like a musical in L.A. where I would dress up nicely. In my 30's & 40's probably never. Now days I will occasionally wear a BB cream which is very light coverage in order to help make the appearance of my skin more even. I do have freckles here and there and some hyper-pigmentation, so I suppose I really can use it; maybe even a thicker foundation would be a good idea for me now. I just don't like wearing a lot of make-up.

The BB cream I am using currently is L'Oreal.

I use MAC sculp is it called for dry skin or True match those are the only ones that helps with my dry skin at the mo, but if anyone can think of any other foundtation for dry skin let me kn. only wear make up when going to work or out.

I stopped wearing it for awhile, but recently have started again as I have Rosacea. The brand I'm using is okay, but doesn't give as much coverage as I'd like.

Back