Grammy's All-Star Tribute to T-25; MJ Reported to Attend/Not Perform

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Grammy Performers: Beyonce, Foo Fighters...and Michael Jackson(rumor)?

How is one appearance at the Grammy's in the last...19 years (?) overexposure? He may have actually been there once or twice for Dangerous/History, but he never got on stage I don't believe.

MJ needs positive exposure in the US right now if he is to catch a large portion of the population. Stuff that makes people remember that he's a musician and not a tabloid headline.
I believe we're talking about this year. :yes: He has already got some positive exposure for Thriller which is great to see. But I just think it's possible that if he appears and promotes for Thriller, people will forget about the new album or keep focussing on Thriller when the new album comes out. Besides that, He doesn't need to promote a re-release; Sony have it covered and there's really no reason to. (I hope that all made sense. lol)

:yes: :yes: I think some of these folks who keep saying overexposure will hurt him maybe weren't either born or old enough to remember the glorious 80s, when i was a teen Michaelmania was wonderful and he wasn't overexposed because Michael always knew when to disappear and rebuild momentum and a desire to see him again, so I hope he does do the Grammys, it would be awesome he hasn't been there in 15 years, last time was in Feb 1993 before his life changed the summer of 93, he needs to be able to turn back the clock to that time when all was good.

I remember. I was a fan from the 80's (I was born in 1980). Michael needs exposure in the right areas. As I said above, Sony are handling Thriller and I believe he will handle the new album. Personally promoting a re-release just doesn't make sense to me, especially when he has a new album on the way.

Thats not exactly what we're getting at but rather that MJ does do appearances and performances (which would be to old material so why...been there done that!) just to promote a little ol album called Thriller, then when his new album drops, then he should perform to new material, be seen everywhere. T25 is just a drop in the water compared to the big picture of a full campaign for the new album. T25 is a warm-up so why go full blast now? If he does that just for T25 then he'll have over-exposure. What he did with the video message was perfect. We get a taste of him not even in person and then we get nothing for abit longer.

Ummm I was watching everything MJ did during the 80s and MJ didnt do the appearance and performances until his new album came out. Michaelmania started once Thriller was already in stores. MJs new album is not. When his new album is available to buy, thats when you do appearances, performances, videos, concerts etc to remind ppl that you have an album out and then they'll go get it!

I fully agree. :yes:

All I know is this.....don't some of you all go getting your hopes up about MJ being there or even performing....you know how some of y'all get.....and then the next day after the Grammy's your all disappointed with MJ for not showing up.

If you happen to tune in and see MJ there, then say hallelujah! but don't go getting your hopes up already.

I simply squirm whenever Diane Dimond utters the name Michael Jackson!ugh!

MJ doesn't need to perform or at least have a full appearance. To me, an ideal situation would be to have Will.I.Am, Fergie, and Akon up there doing a performance for T25 and then MJ could come in and sing his part for WBSS and maybe do a few moves. The idea is to sell some T25 records, get WBSS at the top of the charts, and to get MJ's name back in the music scene. Just to see MJ's name associated with music at all is a victory. Then you can ride a couple of these sinlges out until the Summer or fall until the new album drops. I mean this is the Grammy's, the preeminent music extraveganza. If MJ's album drops in the summer or fall he's going to be picking from the VMAs or AMAs. If I was marketing him I'd have him appear in a regular commercial at the SB, make an appearance/mini performance at this year's Grammy's, try to get WBSS to the top of the charts, then lead into the new album later on. Just get his name back with the music for a few months before the real comeback begins. I also think Sony is testing the waters with MJ for a possible contract extension so MJ really needs to put the effort forth if that's the case.

Just think, a week and few days from now (Superbowl and Grammys) we'll all know what the deal is. :dance:

And I think Michael has done a good share of promo for T25...which tells me it is important to him. It's not a throwaway project. He's done L'uomo Vogue and gave an interview to Ebony. He went to the WMA's for that T25 tribute, etc. He's really put in quite a bit of "face time" for this, which if it were a throwaway project, I doubt he would have bothered. IMO T25 would have come out like all the other Thriller special editions with very little face time and attention by Michael. IMO it seems like he's very involved with this as well as Sony. It seems to be important to both as they are going the extra mile for this. A commercial on the Superbowl is expensive. For Sony to invest that kind of money means they are really behind this and Michael has now stated that he wants to reintroduce his music to generations past...which, of course, should be a plus for him, when introducing "new music" to that generation. Focusing on the "old" for a bit can't hurt, imo, if it warms the waters for the arrival of the "new".

Maybe he won't go into promotional overdrive for T25 as he would for a new CD or something, but I don't believe he's slacking on the T25 campaign at all, thus far either. I mean, he gave his first INTERVIEW after the trial to celebrate Thriller. He could have saved that move to promote a new CD, but he did it for T25. And considering he's added new vocals to some songs and seems to be personally mixing and mastering some of them, I'd guess he's not only putting in a bit of face time on this, but he's put in a fair share of studio time to work on the songs. He could've slapped an old demo on that thing and called it a day. :lol: I know SOME fans would have preferred that but anywayz....I think Michael AND Sony are doing a decent job thus far...and the campaign is just really getting started. The album hasn't been officially re-released yet and the singles are climbing the charts with no video and a few magazine covers under its belt. Imagine when the commercials and televised tributes start rolling out...whether Michael shows up or performs or not. His name and music will be getting exposure again in a positive light. And I can't see that hurting anyone but MJ haters.

Last edited:

Great post wendy! Very well said. :yes:

He HAS been building momentum. Appearances here and there. T25 talk (still putting MJ in people's minds) He doesnt have to perform (or even show up to the grammys) to build momentum. So much HYPE surrounds MJ that he doesnt have to do a dang thing to get people talking about him. Thriller 25 is enough to get MJ into peoples minds...hes saving the performance for the NEW material. The performance might be that big BANG.

Last edited:

I think we all need to wait & see what happens. No One knows what he has planned & stop speculating already. Michael knows what he wants/needs/has/is going to do. So let's just wait!

I respectfully disagree, building momentum with appearances would bring it back to Michael the greatest performer and not the tabloid circus of the last 15 years.

I agree. Honestly, I don't want him to perform old material either, but I do think it would be awesome if he just showed up to present the last award or something. Him doing just that would totally steal the show.

And of course him not showing up wouldn't be the end of the world or anything, but why waste this opportunity? 15 to 30 million people are going to tune in to this show.

Last edited:

but there are gonna be other opportunities like it...lol

I think we all need to wait & see what happens. No One knows what he has planned & stop speculating already. Michael knows what he wants/needs/has/is going to do. So let's just wait!

That's right, we don't have enough info to assume anything at this point. :yes:

please let us know and if he does show up and perform could you please tape it. I would like copy!

I am willing to pay for postage and anything involved as i have a pay pal account!!

Thank you

but there are gonna be other opportunities like it...lol

And? What's the crime in hoping he appears on this particular show though? You can't be that surprised some are saying this.

And? What's the crime in hoping he appears on this particular show though? You can't be that surprised some are saying this.

No crime. But if you get your hopes up, dont be mad at MJ if he doesnt appear!!

And I agree, he don't need to perform, him just showing up is big enough. They'd be saying "JACKSON (or the other word) MAKES A GRAMMY COMEBACK!" He don't even need to moonwalk, he'd be getting the ovation for ten fricking minutes. :rofl:

Right you are Timmy. The man only needs to stand there and smile and people will freak out. I think Michael is the only celebrity who can cause mass hystaria just by being within the vacinty, lol.

No crime. But if you get your hopes up, dont be mad at MJ if he doesnt appear!!

I've been on MJ boards since 98 and have never done that.

And I agree, he don't need to perform, him just showing up is big enough. They'd be saying "JACKSON (or the other word) MAKES A GRAMMY COMEBACK!" He don't even need to moonwalk, he'd be getting the ovation for ten fricking minutes. :rofl:

That's what i'm saying!!! Can you imagine what would be said if that happened? And this is happens in the US? Damn...

I guess we'll have to wait and see if he'll show up. And if he does,The Grammy people should show him respect. I mean I don't want to see a another mess up job like at the World Music awards last year.What an embarrassment to Michael. He has suffered enough and he should be praised and respected as a genius. If you want Michael to never leave this country again, he has to be treated right and not give him a another heartache to ponder upon.
Just have your recorders ready. I know I will.

I would like to say congrats to Michael on winning his special award and hopefully he'll get more just for doing what he loves to do,filling our hearts with his music.

Last edited:

I guess we'll have to wait and see if he'll show up. And if he does,The Grammy people should show him respect. I mean I don't want to see a another mess up job like at the World Music awards last year. What an embarrassment to Michael. He has suffered enough and he should be praised and respected as a genius. If you want Michael to never leave this country again, he has to be treated right and not give him a another heartache to ponder upon.
Just have your recorders ready. I know I will.

I would like to say congrats to Michael on winning his special award and hopefully he'll get more just for doing what he loves to do,filling our hearts with his music.

You talk as if he was booed or disrespected at the WMA's by the audience or something and that was not the case at all. It was the media who lied and said that it was a disaster when it really wasn't. As far as Michael being "treated right" in this country, no one here has any control over that but within the industry Michael is still respected, so it shouldn't really be a problem if he went to the Grammy's. I mean, I don't think he'd get booed off stage or anything (well I certainly hope not).

Last edited:

Are the Grammy's being taped or is it live?

I'm not saying that either. I'm hoping he does too cuz i like seeing MJ perform! LOL But in the bigger picture of things, I do hope he doesn't or I hope he follows his plan of actions, rather than just performing on shows just because.

From a career point of view, just showing up will not do it. If he really wants to restart, performing at the Grammy Awards would be mind blowing. Something like Chris Brown starting with a tribute, only to see Michael appear on stage and just kill the audience with a performance only he could do.

If he's not going to perform, just choose another moment and don't appear at all. Just sitting there would show he enjoys things of the past, but not being eager to come back. Performing at the Grammy's would put Michael back on the map in an instant.

if he doesnt perform at the Grammys it will be one of the biggest mistakes in his life...the timing is just too perfect!
They are honouring his albums, there are tribute performances for him...its basically Michael Mania already! he needs to capitalise on it and hit them with an epic Billie Jean performace!

I think he should come out with Akon, perform Wanna be Startin Somethin and then Akon disapears, Mike talks about Thriller n how much of a success it has been over the last 25 years, he says thank you to the fans and then bye then the lights go off and its silent for about 20 seconds then the Billie Jean intro kicks in and theres a spotlight on Michael in his normal starting postion with the rhinestone jacket, his fedora, his black loafers, white socks and of course the 1 glove, and when the whole world is captured in MICHAEL-MANIA....... we can then finally say MICHAEL JACKSON IS BACK!

(my hairs were standing on end on my arms and neck typin and thinkin of that then lmao)

if he doesnt perform at the Grammys it will be one of the biggest mistakes in his life

a little bit of an overstatement there. whatever does or doesnt happen he will be critizied. go there and perform some will moan that hes living in the past and "not doing that BJ performance againnnn" and if he doesnt ppl will say,well what they have been saying already lol. i see no real evidence of mj performing. frankly it will be something if he just turns up.

The only auctaly tallented person who is rumored to perform is MJ i don't like the Foo Fights or Beyonce i got nuttin againt Beyonce but we know MJ has a thing for her so mayby he'll go because shes there :p

Last edited:

i got nuttin againt Beyonce but we know MJ has a thing for her so mayby he'll go because shes there :p

too bad jay-z will be there with her .... as he is her fiancee and soon to be husband....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back