UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute ~ Youtube video on pg.9

Re: UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute comes out May 13, 2008 @ 9/8c PM

Well, I missed it. I watched Hell's Kitchen on FOX. I thought about tuning in but I didn't exactly know when it was coming on since I hadn't checked here or the TV Guide.

It seems I didn't miss much according to what I've read here.

I think they just wanted to get in on the act. That's an old saying from a now deceased actor named: Jimmy Durante, from the old days of television.

His quote: "Everybody wants to get in on the act."

Of course meaning everybody wants a piece of the action...The Thriller action.

I'll bet the upcoming season of "So You Think You Can Dance" will most likely take their shot at giving tribute to Michael and Thriller.

Re: UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute comes out May 13, 2008 @ 9/8c PM

I think they just wanted to get in on the act. That's an old saying from a now deceased actor named: Jimmy Durante, from the old days of television.

His quote: "Everybody wants to get in on the act."

Of course meaning everybody wants a piece of the action...The Thriller action.

I'll bet the upcoming season of "So You Think You Can Dance" will most likely take their shot at giving tribute to Michael and Thriller.

I agree. Even though the tribute wasn't good, i'm still glad they did it. A hugely popular show like this jumping on the bandwagon and paying tribute to Thriller looks good on MJ.

I just watched it and I thought it was a pretty cool tribute. I mean, what do you expect? Not tribute is ever gonna be as good as the original. That was confirmed to me the minute Omarion opened his mouth! :wild:

And for all the peeps who claim that Michael can't get any huge sponsors, I sure see big ones putting their name on stuff that relates to him. This whole Thriller segment was sponsored by......drum roll...

MACY'S DEPARTMENT STORES!

That means that Macys paid money to have their commercial spot put right there with the tribute.

Wow, I'm usually the 1st person to speak out against posts hating on other artists who try to emulate Michael. However, I must say that I'm a bit dissappointed in Omarion's performance. Even Chris Brown's Thriller performance at the WMA's was better than this. And even better than both of those were the Thriller performances on MTV's "Best Dance Crew". I know Omarion is a huge MJ fan but his performance tonight left a lot to be desired. Sorry.

Does anyone have a video? I missed it. I'm not surprised to hear it sucked though. Omarion can't sing at all and his dancing is medicore at best.

I don't know I just found the whole thing funny.The dancing.Tell me why this man was dressed up like he was about to starr in the Matrix.And sanging ohmygod.I thought the person thst wasd singing sounded like a cat that had a furball stuck in it's throat and was trying to belt out a song.

The only part I liked was at the end of Thriller where all the dancers disapeared I thought that was pretty cool.

I agree - I thought the tribute was pretty lame all around. was disappointed to be honest. Can't wait to have Michael back!
But i think MJ is setting the stage in his own secret way...

wow.It was funny Omarion tried to do the moonwalk.

LOL! Is that what it was? I thought he was having a seizure.
No disrespect intended but that "tribute" was whack.:tease:

Just another instance that proves Michael cannot be duplicated.

I really appreciated that! It was COOL!

Thank you, Dancing With The Stars!
Thank you, Macys!
Thank you, Omarion!
Thank you, Travis!
:clap:

Go Michael! Go Thriller!
Go Michael! Go Thriller!

I love the way the tide has turned. This feels GOOD!! This is the type of stuff we've been waiting for. We've been waiting for our man to get his PROPS!!

I'm having a good 'ole time!

Neverland is cool; Mike said a little somethin' somethin'; a certain reporter got smacked upside his noggin lol; and then a nice tribute to Mike and his musical landmark.

This is so sweet. This is a nice flow. :yes:

Mike, I hope you're having fun watching the tributes!

Last edited:

anyone who says its lame is kidding themselves. it was definately cool. sure, the singing wasnt as good as MJ, the dancing wasnt, the whole thing wasnt, but thats coz IT WASNT MICHAEL JACKSON. It was positive, it was fun, and the people who have no idea about MJ would not have been able to fault it or disect it like us fans. Im glad they did it and I enjoyed it.

that was weak lol..they shudda just dance 2 the original music and not try n sing live lol...

Ahahaha, did you hear him trying to do the vocal hiccups, lol.

Omarion's voice just isn't high enough or quick enough to sing any of Michael's songs, especially 'Thriller'. And I'll tell you why they didn't do any of Michael's chorography. Because it would have shown just how far Omarion, or any of these people, really do fall short of Michael as a dancer. I mean, you saw Omarion do the opening steps of "Billie Jean" and you saw how sloppy it was. This performance really wasn't any worse then Chris Brown doing "Thriller" at the WMA's. These people just don't compare to Michael in any way, shape or form. That's just the truth. And seeing this kind of thing just makes you ach to have Michael back out there.

Anyway, it was nice of them to do a tribute anyway, and it was nice of Omarion to participate, even if he did suck, haha.

ok every one has their difference in opinion, but you guys MURKED It. y'all should be happy that they paid tribute. but the only thing that they should have done was slot the original dance of thriller at the end.

not usually keen on criticising public affection for Mike but this made me cringe. amateur impersonation act material from Omarion there.

and was that a forward walking moonwalk done with the difficulty of a real moonwalk? kind of defeats the purpose LOL uranuswalk
f_doh.gif

I really appreciated that! It was COOL!

Thank you, Dancing With The Stars!
Thank you, Macys!
Thank you, Omarion!
Thank you, Travis!
:clap:

Go Michael! Go Thriller!
Go Michael! Go Thriller!

I love the way the tide has turned. This feels GOOD!! This is the type of stuff we've been waiting for. We've been waiting for our man to get his PROPS!!

I'm having a good 'ole time!

Neverland is cool; Mike said a little somethin' somethin'; a certain reporter got smacked upside his noggin lol; and then a nice tribute to Mike and his musical landmark.

This is so sweet. This is a nice flow. :yes:

Mike, I hope you're having fun watching the tributes!
I agree. I absolutely loved it.
Go DWTS
Go MACY's
Go Omarion
GO MICHAEL JACKSON:D

Well, people are entitled to their expression of facts, lol. It really wasn't even worse then Chris Brown doing "Thriller". It just shows how far these wanna be's fall short. It reminds you of what's missing while Michael's laying low.

Last edited:

anyone who says its lame is kidding themselves. it was definately cool. sure, the singing wasnt as good as MJ, the dancing wasnt, the whole thing wasnt, but thats coz IT WASNT MICHAEL JACKSON. It was positive, it was fun, and the people who have no idea about MJ would not have been able to fault it or disect it like us fans. Im glad they did it and I enjoyed it.
I agree. I also loved that it was not MJ. I love to hear and see others sing and danced to his music, even if it doesn't sound as good. It says they appreciate him.
I also loved the crowd response.:D

Last edited:

It was O.K. I wasnt THRILLED by it tho.
I thought Omarion was strongest at the beginning of BJ.
It kinda went downhill after that. Maybe 1 or 2 other spots.
Too bad he wasnt more consistant with the routine.
Big ups tho for them doing the tribute.
Travis Payne was the guy in the matrix coat right?
The one that has an exersize workout video?
Thought his choreography would be a little more exciting than it was.

They're also saying the tribute was lame on the DWTS boards, so it's not just fans saying this.

Here are some opinions:

DwtS wasted so much of my time tonight. Omarion is PLAYED...he's officially D-list and I wouldn't be suprised to see him pop up on this show next season. If anyone should attempt Michael...right now, its Mr. Chris Brown (and maybe Usher if he's not up in some club makin' love). Also, that whole warehouse scene thing was wickety wickety WACK.

That "thriller" "tribute" was a hot mess. The movie 13 going on 30 did a better job than those bozos. Horrible! Why would any fool try to out-jackson Michael Jackson? Icky awful pathetic performance. Macy's? You were robbed.

Omarion was horrible. Yeesh.

I liked the Micheal Jackson tribute, but Omarion is horrible. His voice was all kinds of yuck tonight, he should've just danced and that would've been fine even though the dancing was not all that great either.

Michael Jackson got a tribute performance on DWTS. Everybody loves MJ. That is enough for me. Thank god almighty. It was about MJ's music and dance and not tabloid stories.

Last edited:

DwtS wasted so much of my time tonight. Omarion is PLAYED...he's officially D-list and I wouldn't be suprised to see him pop up on this show next season. If anyone should attempt Michael...right now, its Mr. Chris Brown (and maybe Usher if he's not up in some club makin' love). Also, that whole warehouse scene thing was wickety wickety WACK.

I guess they didn't see the WMA's.

Oh yes it was! lol, it was horrifically bad. And I ain't a hater, I'm just a realist, lol.

well Omarion is what, 25? Brown's just a kid, if he continues this trend for more than a year then he deserves our criticism of "unoriginal" etc. etc. he needs to step it up and at least be more authentic even i feel his talents are limited.

Well, Chris is 19. He's a young adult. I'm not really talking about his lack of originality here, I'm just talking about how plain bad he is, lol. He really messed "Thriller" up bad, both dance and vocals wise. He seems to be going backward though, now that you mention his lack of originality. When he first came out, he wasn't really dancing like Michael at all. But then as the months went on, he started ripping him more and more. So the outlook doesn't look good, sadly. Omarion is about the same. I don't see a difference between any of them, to be honest.

Last edited:

well Omarion is what, 25? Brown's just a kid, if he continues this trend for more than a year then he deserves our criticism of "unoriginal" etc. etc. he needs to step it up and at least be more authentic even i feel his talents are limited.

Omarion is 23, and i do like him. It's just that he doesn't sing no where near as great as Michael does. I think they should have just played the original songs off the album because they had to pay the songwriters anyway meaning Michael and Rod Temperton and just danced. What killed for me was the vocalists covering the songs and Omarion straining to sing them as well, Omari can dance very well and that would have been fine.

not usually keen on criticising public affection for Mike but this made me cringe. amateur impersonation act material from Omarion there.

and was that a forward walking moonwalk done with the difficulty of a real moonwalk? kind of defeats the purpose LOL uranuswalk
f_doh.gif
Going foward is the "camelwalk". Going backwards is the "glide". A real "moonwalk" is doing the move in one spot in a circle. MJ does it in the Jacksons Victory tour video of Billie Jean.

Omarion is 23, and i do like him. It's just that he doesn't sing no where near as great as Michael does. I think they should have just played the original songs off the album because they had to pay the songwriters anyway meaning Michael and Rod Temperton and just danced. What killed for me was the vocalists covering the songs and Omarion straining to sing them as well, Omari can dance very well and that would have been fine.
Using an original recording costs more than having a cover band do it. That's why some TV shows in the past used re-recorded versions of songs by unknown singers. All the songs on this show are done by the house band.

Back