UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute ~ Youtube video on pg.9

from a month back. not surprised.

OMARION DROPPED FROM LABEL

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/04/19/o-no-singer-omarion-dropped-by-record-label/

A source at the label confirmed to the BV Buzz that the Sony imprint decided to drop the former B2K lead singer.

Omarion signed as a solo artist to Columbia Records after B2K broke up in December 2003. His boy band was actually signed to Sony's Epic division.

The 23-year-old singer released two solo CDs for the record company, including 2005's 'O' and 2006's '21.' Both albums were certified gold.

In December of 2007, Omarion partnered with rapper Bow Wow on the CD, 'Face Off.' To date, the set has sold 341,137 units according to SoundScan.

Last edited:
^Has that got something to do with the performance?

I thought it was cute. Sure Omarion isn't a great vocalist, but he tried, and he's a good dancer. I enjoyed it.

no it was done a month before. going to edit the post.

I think it is so wrong and petty to be picking on Omarion because he did his tribute to MJ. That is very mean spirited and very childish in my view. At this rate, MJ could very well find it hard to get anyone to do tribute to him cause of his mean spirited fans who dog on them.
Let Omarion be. He did his thing,. He is a fan too. He did his best and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
picking on Omarion? this is an entertainer and is prone to criticism just as much as any other. it was great that this show, Travis Payne and Omarion decided to tribute Mike but when i see a performance like that i'm not going to pretend i liked it just because it was tributing Mike. and i've been a strong defender of tributing artists nearly at all times but when it comes to it, you have to keep real.

From the responses I have viewed on here, it seems that people are just not satisfied with anything any performer does when it comes to paying homage to Michael Jackson.

I agree, the performance wasn't any where near as perfected nor sang as well as Michael would have done in his hay day. However, as I have been told to take a 'reality check' maybe some of the people putting the performance down should take one themselves and realize that in all probability Michael cannot move with that energy we saw from Omarian the other evening anymore? And so the best we are going to get in terms of performing classic songs with energy and passion will come from a younger generation of artists who are inspired by Michael just like we all are on this board!

We also have to consider that that the performance was shorter than we would have liked because of the show running time being tight for long performances, so why can't we be happy with what we got on a prime time TV show broadcast internationally, instead of nitpicking?

Maybe it's because some people believe people like Omarion are imitators and are unoriginal. If that is the case, God forbid that Justin Timberlake ever dare pay tribute to Michael with a performance in his honor, he will be ripped apart by Michael Jackson fans the next day anyway, so why should he bother?

P.S - At least he sang live

Last edited:
picking on Omarion? this is an entertainer and is prone to criticism just as much as any other. it was great that this show, Travis Payne and Omarion decided to tribute Mike but when i see a performance like that i'm not going to pretend i liked it just because it was tributing Mike. and i've been a strong defender of tributing artists nearly at all times but when it comes to it, you have to keep real.
You could easily say you didn't like the show without the constant bit.chiness. Omarion is virtually under attack because he didn't deliver what some expected. That is unfair. The poor guy tried his best. It is soul destroying to hear what some people are saying. What is the purpose of posting article about him being dropped from a record label?

Last edited:
From the responses I have viewed on here, it seems that people are just not satisfied with anything any performer does when it comes to paying homage to Michael Jackson.
wrong - i am, with most.

I agree, the performance wasn't any where near as perfected nor sang as well as Michael would have done in his hay day.
i'm not satisfied with this particular performance but where did you get the idea that we'll all be comparing to Michael!? lol this isn't in comparison to Mike but to the status quo of the current landscape of Pop acts.

It is soul destroying to hear what some people are saying.
truth hurts.

Omarion if you're reading this, then take not and comeback stronger.

What is the purpose of posting article about him being dropped from a record label?
to show that maybe it's not just MJ fans dogging him? even labels that sign the likes of T-Pain et al are dropping this less-than-mediocre act. you're forcing me to emphasise such criticism by constantly showing sensitivities towards my opinion of a commercial entertainer.

wrong - i am, with most.

i'm not satisfied with this particular performance but where did you get the idea that we'll all be comparing to Michael!? lol this isn't in comparison to Mike but to the status quo of the current landscape of Pop acts.

I wasn't picking on your specifically.

I was making a point that because it wasn't a performance Michael would have been happy with himself performing, we have to just accept and appreciate the performances from other younger artists who love him. Okay it wasn't mind blowing, but it was a pretty decent effort.

alright, but i think you'd find most showed their appreciation for the tribute per se. it's just O's performance that garnered a lot of criticism. although, i still hear you on the whole 'these kids will never be MJ' comparative arguments. that i don't agree with, especially when nearly all tributing artists are constantly lumped into it - so i understand why you're emphasising this, but i think the overwhelming criticism here is just due to the performance..

Yeah thats fair enough, I agree that a considerable amount of the criticism is about the performance here. Imo, I didn't think the performance was that bad, I just enjoyed it because it was some more good old fashioned homage to Michael. It wouldn't ruin Michaels reputation of an artist at all, so let the performances flow, good or bad alike. There are always going to be people such as yourself and I who disagree on a quality of a performance, that is just personal taste.

So I am guessing we can just agree to disagree on the quality of the performance. I think maybe some constructive criticism would be more welcomed from everyone though, not just yourself arXter. I even lump myself into this category. Maybe we can talk about why we didn't like it, and what could have been done better.

(Btw, I just got you you 800 posts ;))

I think maybe some constructive criticism would be more welcomed from everyone though, not just yourself arXter. I even lump myself into this category. Maybe we can talk about why we didn't like it, and what could have been done better.

(Btw, I just got you you 800 posts ;))
lol yes cheers. constructive criticism.. well as a brief note i'd say the singing was quite off and his dancing was... rushed, for lack of a better word. but i think if you can't pull off traditional MJ moves like the moonwalk and camelwalk (thanks DD), then go for something more creative.

Travis Payne's dancers and choreo was great though. i would have settled for a good dozen minutes of their performance.

and i liked the fact that real instrumentation was used - even if it may have been done for financial reasons.

f_ok.gif

I agree, the performance wasn't any where near as perfected nor sang as well as Michael would have done in his hay day. However, as I have been told to take a 'reality check' maybe some of the people putting the performance down should take one themselves and realize that in all probability Michael cannot move with that energy we saw from Omarian the other evening anymore? And so the best we are going to get in terms of performing classic songs with energy and passion will come from a younger generation of artists who are inspired by Michael just like we all are on this board!

We also have to consider that that the performance was shorter than we would have liked because of the show running time being tight for long performances, so why can't we be happy with what we got on a prime time TV show broadcast internationally, instead of nitpicking?

Maybe it's because some people believe people like Omarion are imitators and are unoriginal. If that is the case, God forbid that Justin Timberlake ever dare pay tribute to Michael with a performance in his honor, he will be ripped apart by Michael Jackson fans the next day anyway, so why should he bother?

:clap:
Agree! I really don't get why are people putting down Omarion, he did a nice job, yeah he wasn't Mike, but then again no one else is but Mike himself.
The guy danced his ass off (as much as he could), and SANG LIVE with is a rarety this days.
I liked that it was different, otherwise it would be just another CB or E Casanova thing, what's the point of seeing the same stuff over and over again if it ain't even Michael.

Last edited:
At least he sang live? Are you kidding me? You're actually taking side diggs at Michael to try and defend a sorry, dime a dozen imitation act of him? lol, that's rich.

When Michael was 23, he sang live and danced at a fever pitch for well over an hour at a time and he made Omarion look like even worse sh*t then the man looks on his own, so... What's the point, exactly, in saying somethingso incredibly stupid, like nobody will notice?

And God forbid people should be allowed to say they thought the performance was less then stellar. Just because it was a nice thing to do doesn't mean it was a quality thing done.

And just to add, Michael can outdance ANY of these cats, RIGHT NOW. Believe that. Michael's slowest is these fools fastest. Michael is such a superior talent, that for you to even say that the best we're going to get of Michael's classics now is from these jokers is the biggest joke or all. Quality always wins over quantity. I think you need a reality check Foxy.

Last edited:

i don't agree with your assesment that MJ could never bring that energy himself..and you seemed to fly in the face of your own advice by taking a dig at Michael, with your little post script.

Re: UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute comes out May 13, 2008 @ 9/8c PM

anyone who says its lame is kidding themselves. it was definately cool. sure, the singing wasnt as good as MJ, the dancing wasnt, the whole thing wasnt, but thats coz IT WASNT MICHAEL JACKSON. It was positive, it was fun, and the people who have no idea about MJ would not have been able to fault it or disect it like us fans. Im glad they did it and I enjoyed it.

just saw the video.. (thanks for posting)

totally agree..

as mentioned before.. these are the good times...

its good to see him honored on a main stream program in the United States.. with out any drama.

it was about his art...

a continuation of his legacy is being written.. don't miss it

At least he sang live? Are you kidding me? You're actually taking side diggs at Michael to try and defend a sorry, dime a dozen imitation act of him? lol, that's rich.

When Michael was 23, he sang live and danced at a fever pitch for well over an hour at a time and he made Omarion look like even worse sh*t then the man looks on his own, so... What's the point, exactly, in saying somethingso incredibly stupid, like nobody will notice?

And God forbid people should be allowed to say they thought the performance was less then stellar. Just because it was a nice thing to do doesn't mean it was a quality thing done.

And just to add, Michael can outdance ANY of these cats, RIGHT NOW. Believe that. Michael's slowest is these fools fastest. Michael is such a superior talent, that for you to even say that the best we're going to get of Michael's classics now is from these jokers is the biggest joke or all. Quality always wins over quantity. I think you need a reality check Foxy.

I don't think anyone here is trying to disrespect Michael, and I honestly doubt that anyone is comparing Omarion to Michael because that would be absolutely stupid.
And yes, that performance was bad compared to MJ, but no one is comparing the two, it was a TRIBUTE, not an impersonation... and as a tribute it was very nice, not stellar or fantastic, just good, no need to take shots at Omarion for not living up to MJ fans standards, if we are trying to measure every act to Michael we'll be dissapointed and complaining for ever because NO ONE will ever come even close.

We should just be able to appreciate it for what it was and not demand excellency, honestly, if Michael would see that, I bet he'd feel flatter about it...that's just the kind of person he is, so why can't we just appreciate the effort?.

So no one should bother paying respect to Michael with decent enough tributes like Omarian's, because they cannot move with the precision he possesses?

....the important word there is 'decent' and 'decent' that tribute was no!

Someone mentioned cringing, thats exactly what I was doing:doh:

You know, thats just plain common sense right there, thank you!

Last edited:
Like others have said it was nice thing to do but I found it quite boring. I think they could have done better.

Re: UPDATE: Dancing W/ the Stars Thriller Tribute comes out May 13, 2008 @ 9/8c PM

hater? realist? whatever you are, its an opinion. nothing more. i thought Chris was awesome on the WMA doing Thriller.

I agree
I also loved his tribute at the AMA
that was awesome to me - If it wasnt for
Chris Mj's namewould not have even been
mentioned - He put MJ right in their faces.

side note:
I hate this small default font can someone change it back to size 2
some of us dont have 20/20 vision ya know :LOL:

Last edited:
OMG.. whoever say he can sing must be tone deaf, even someone without a musical taste or don't know music at all will say his singing sucks big time.

wbss21, i agree with your post.
Nice tribute but poor performance, imo.
Appreciate Omarion's effort, and nice to see acts paying tribute to MJ but i want to kill myself when i hear him sing.
too poor. gosh..

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here is trying to disrespect Michael, and I honestly doubt that anyone is comparing Omarion to Michael because that would be absolutely stupid.
And yes, that performance was bad compared to MJ, but no one is comparing the two, it was a TRIBUTE, not an impersonation... and as a tribute it was very nice, not stellar or fantastic, just good, no need to take shots at Omarion for not living up to MJ fans standards, if we are trying to measure every act to Michael we'll be dissapointed and complaining for ever because NO ONE will ever come even close.

We should just be able to appreciate it for what it was and not demand excellency, honestly, if Michael would see that, I bet he'd feel flatter about it...that's just the kind of person he is, so why can't we just appreciate the effort?.

I'm not the one who brought Michael up, Foxy was, by saying that he couldn't do what Omarion did, in essence. I agree with that, he couldn't have put on a performance that bad if his life depended on it. And I already said that it was a nice thing of Omarion to do, to participate in a tribute to Michael. That's cool. But that doesn't mean I actually have to pretend that I thought it was good. I didn't, so I'm not going to say that it was. No one is hating on Omarion. They're just giving their critic on the performance, as a performance in and of itself. And I'm not even comparing it to Michael, per say. Of course it's only natural when you see someone perform songs or steps that have been performed originally by another, you are going to draw comparisons. But just from a general standpoint, using my general standards, I thought the performance was medicore at best. Why? Because Omarion is a medicore performer. And I'll say it if I like. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate his effort in honoring Michael, it just means I think he's a seriously average talent.

I agree
I also loved his tribute at the AMA

that was awesome to me - If it wasnt for
Chris Mj's namewould not have even been
mentioned - He put MJ right in their faces.

Well, considering Michael was actually at the WMA's to recieve an award, yeah, I think his name would have been mentioned at least once, whether Chris had slaughtered "Thriller" or not.

We could have all enjoyed the performance for what it was. without criticsing it. Omarion did HIS best. I am sure he didn't intend to go on stage and give an average performance, knowing that he would be judged by it. He did HIS best. That is what I appreciated. When a person do their best, nothing else can be asked of them
He did a brave thing, knowing that he would be measured by one of the greatest, but he did it,
WE as fans should have been celebrating this moment. It was a momernt of triumph for MJ and a crow eating time for naysayers and haters, instead we turned our focus on the wrong person,and by doing so we missed the point and the chance to celebrate.
The American audience were so receptive of the MJ tribute. How things have turned around. Also, that was MJ's music out there for all to hear. It wasn't an MJ level performance, but it was great. I watched it twice and I am going to watch it again.

forcing further criticism

We could have all enjoyed the performance for what it was. without criticsing it.
we could have - but we're certainly not obliged to. maybe i'm the b@stard that likes to point out the elephant in the room. but hush me and i'd start dancing around it. no obligations whatsoever.

That's what I'm saying arXter. I think everyone appreciates the thought and the performance for the sake of the performance, but it doesn't mean they have to actually pretend it was great or good.

and the more people complain about others' opinions, the more it gets dragged out and emphasised. it's a vicious cycle, i tell thee.

Gosh, it wasn't that bad was it? Far out, a tribute's a tribute. At least it wasn't a performance that took the piss out of Michael. It wasn't disrespectful or rude to him.

I mean this show goes into millions of homes, and those millions of people are being reminded of Michael's great music. What's so wrong with that? I mean even if you don't think it was a great performance from Omarion, who really cares? It's another reminder to literally millions of people that Michael's legacy lives on.

BTW, the dancing was incredible- I was looking at that more than listening to Omarion. :yes:

Last edited:
Back