3 July 2008 ~~From BILLBOARD: HMH to be on both Akon and MJ's Albums

Anyway, where are yall getting all of these wonderful comments from? Looks like most of them are coming from non-fan websites. How about that?

I DO believe that if this song IS released, it will be a summer hit. And probably make it for song of the year with all the hype it has gotten in just one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand what people are saying because I - as a Jackson fan - take notice anytime MJ is mentioned in any type of news outlet. But please don't for a second think that in today's society that Michael Jackson is more popular than Akon or any type of musical talent. And before any 'haters' start their bashing ... I am not saying historically ... I think anyone who is old enough to remember when Michael ruled the music industry - 1984-1992 - gets goosebumps and takes notice of everything he touches because they are aware of his superior talent ... but as a teacher who works with teenagers - I have to tell you - MJ is not the 'hot commodity' that many people believe he is.

It is funny to hear people say that the whole world as well as the media has gone nuts over this song when the fact is - it has barely garnished any media attention at all and I mean the kind of attention MJ is accustomed to receiving. (limited online attention - other than message boards and sporadic musical sites ... In Jackson's heyday this would have been on television media people ... not delegated to 3rd rate websites)

I am not bashing MJ - I guess I am just skeptical as to how great Jackson is anymore. Are we holding onto hope that somehow the magic of 'thriller' is penning and producing quality material. Not sure how it will come off ... but my thoughts.

Let the bashing begin - its what happens on this site when anyone differs from the majority opinion lol

No one is bashing you, but anytime someone comes on here with the first 6 postings or so challenging/accusing MJ fans and members of mass delusion/illusions, excuse me if suspicions about intent and motive aren't being raised here.

As I have stated time and again and will continue to do so, people can agree to disagree without the dramatics and without making generalized statements about what they think other people are thinking. People should worry about stating their own opinion without making overreaching assumptions about what others think. Others will tell you that without much prompting.

Furthermore, I don't think this is about who is more popular. Obviously as a contemporary, Akon is at the top of his game. Also, I think that it should go without saying that MJ at the top of his game back in the day will never repeat that -- no artist does and certainly no artist has been where MJ has been either. It's just part of the natural cycle of things.

But make no mistake here, Michael Jackson is still WAYYYYY more known than Akon or any of his contemporaries and Akon would be the first to admit it. Good press or bad press, MJ still is talked about with any move he makes.

Also, I don't have to be a teacher of teenagers to understand that they are into their contemporaries. All teenagers are going to gravitate towards music made by folk closer to their age because they think that these folks relate to them better.

The good news here is that Michael Jackson doesn't have to relie on just that market. He has a huge fanbase and despite what some will say about him personally, they will be the first in line to see his show if he ever tours again, I promise you that. He is established enough to succeed in ways that Akon and others still have to build up to.

And again, the record has generally received great buzz from fans and non fans alike. All you would have to do is to read our news reports to understand this. Why you persist in stating otherwise is not exactly accurate on your part. If you are waiting for the world to stop at a MJ video, those days are GONE and no here is implying that at all. You assumed that yourself. Also, if you are comparing MJ today to his yesterday, then perhaps your view of this situation is clouded. It's certainly not keeping it on the real. No one can live up to that, not even MJ.

Lastly. If you are so skeptical as to MJ's greatness, then perhaps you aren't into MJ anymore and that's okay. You wouldn't be the first to move on from him. If Akon or others are more to your suiting, then that's okay as well.

But you can't come on here expecting people to understand why you would want to converse with people who obviously don't feel that way and they come here to converse with others who do feel the same way.

Given that no one has bashed you should give you an indication that your opinion is being respected enough to respond to.

But don't think for a moment that means that it will not go unchallenged and rather vigorously at that.

"Plus when this song is talked about, whose name you think they gonna say first? Akon? Hell to the naw. Mike makes you stop and notice. Akon, I can keep it moving. No offense but that's how I feel. People are actually treating it like a MJ song. Oh well, so be it."

I can understand what people are saying because I - as a Jackson fan - take notice anytime MJ is mentioned in any type of news outlet. But please don't for a second think that in today's society that Michael Jackson is more popular than Akon or any type of musical talent. And before any 'haters' start their bashing ... I am not saying historically ... I think anyone who is old enough to remember when Michael ruled the music industry - 1984-1992 - gets goosebumps and takes notice of everything he touches because they are aware of his superior talent ... but as a teacher who works with teenagers - I have to tell you - MJ is not the 'hot commodity' that many people believe he is.

It is funny to hear people say that the whole world as well as the media has gone nuts over this song when the fact is - it has barely garnished any media attention at all and I mean the kind of attention MJ is accustomed to receiving. (limited online attention - other than message boards and sporadic musical sites ... In Jackson's heyday this would have been on television media people ... not delegated to 3rd rate websites)

I am not bashing MJ - I guess I am just skeptical as to how great Jackson is anymore. Are we holding onto hope that somehow the magic of 'thriller' is penning and producing quality material. Not sure how it will come off ... but my thoughts.

Let the bashing begin - its what happens on this site when anyone differs from the majority opinion lol

Believe me, I am a huge MJ fan, but anyone who's read my past posts here know I am also critical from time to time. With that said, I have to respectfully disagree with you that Akon is more popular in today's market. Money (and album sales) talk, and I guarantee you a new MJ studio album will sell more than a new Akon studio album. Michael Jackson is a global force. Sure, if you take a group of random teens from the U.S. and the U.K., Akon may be more popular, but if you take the entire world into consideration, which is what any record label or artist will do, MJ is by far more popular.

Really, Michael Jackson's biggest competition is himself. He has made a choice to lay back and do things at his own pace. He's somewhat of a non-factor on the radio and the pop scene right now by his own choosing, not a lack of popularity. Michael Jackson sells more greatest hits albums than many popular artists do of new studio material.

Troubleman84 -

You seem to be one of the precious few on here who actually do understand that there may be others who can respectfully agree to disagree. I respect and appreciate that. But yes, I do think we will agree to disagree. I am just as big an MJ fan as there is ... but whenever I listen to the media as well as the students in my classroom - MJ is not the MJ that we all seem to remember from his thriller days. The vast majority of the media and many younger peoples seem to view Jackson as some sort of "joke" whose musical talent is surpassed by him being a "molestor' or a "freakshow." Its sad (and untrue in my opinion) but I think that is the reputation he has gathered .. not one that still drives the "world" in a frenzy - at least certainly not in America.
Question: why are you listening to what your students are saying or the media for that matter if YOU are a fan? What your students say is strictly antedotal as others know of young people who do like him. I for one, am not stuck in the Thriller, Bad eras. Yes, I have great memories of it all, but that was yesterday.

Today is today. I for one (and I can only speak for myself) don't have unrealistic expectations for MJ. I just want good music from him and I don't care if he charts or not. I just think that he will anyway, but I'm still gonna buy his joints. Peeps who value his success over the quality of his work will always be unhappy because he is not measuring up to their standards.

I think that MJ is entitled to set his own standards. We as fans only have to worry about whether we like his music or not. Not that he isn't going to be as hot as the Thriller days. That is wholly unrealistic.

Well Im going to see Akon in concert next thursday night...I'll ask him what the hell is going on with this Hold My Hand song...j/k, but maybe he will say something? Most likely not but i'll be hoping! Maybe he will perform WBSS 08 or Hold My Hand? Haha anyways, Im excited to see Akon live in concert.
Yeah... you do that! Just ask him! :rofl:

Well Im going to see Akon in concert next thursday night...I'll ask him what the hell is going on with this Hold My Hand song...j/k, but maybe he will say something? Most likely not but i'll be hoping! Maybe he will perform WBSS 08 or Hold My Hand? Haha anyways, Im excited to see Akon live in concert.
Lol well have fun, I will never forget the day I saw the MVP (aka MJB) in concert it will be forever in-graved (that cant be a word) in my head and of course (on my phone, but dont tell lol)

Yea! :hysterical: If you see Akon pass by be like...

"YOO HOLD MAAH HAND.. RELEASE IT MAAAN."

:wild:

:) yeaaa.. lol or you can say somethin else.. :hysterical:

"Pretty please? :mello:"

IDK.. just.. just.. yea.. something.. :hysterical:
But just sayin, he does not need to answer D: but it would be nice for one wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I think obviously if this song were to be on Michael's album, he would sing at least one more verse to make it a duet.

A duet yes - Exactly my thoughts. However this isn't a duet like The Girl Is Mine for example, this is a feature song, and MJ is the feature.

Take "Why" and "Whatzupwitu" as examples where MJ was the feature - these songs weren't on any of MJ's albums.

I can almost bet my bottom dollar this won't be on MJ's album. It has always been "Akon feat. Michael Jackson". Can you imagine when MJ's new album comes out and you turn to look at the back of the CD where the tracklist is, and seeing "bla bla bla" featuring Michael Jackson? I surely can't lol.

Anyway, that's my input :p

You aren't being real. You're a victim of media manipulation. The public IS interested in Michael. A friend of mine was in the Virgin mega store in New York last week, and suddenly the big monitors in there began playing Michael's performance on Motown 25 and he said EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and starred up at the screens like zombies, just glued to the set. They couldn't look away. That's the kind of power Michael has when he performs.

That really is an awesome story. I wish I was there to see that - it's so the truth =).

Thanks for posting all these reviews mello! It's so nice to read positive reviews. I had gone to a few blogs earlier this week and was slightly irritated by some of the comments I saw (most of which were personal attacks), but it looks like the positive comments far outweigh the bad. Yay! The song is nice & upbeat so it's great to see reviews echo that sentiment. I'm so excited to see the craziness erupt with MJ's solo material! :dancin:

Actually, he is. Besides Eminem, Michael has sold more records in this decade then any other act, that includes Usher and Justin Timberlake. Michael's last studio album outsold Justin Timberlakes by a wide margine. He IS more popular world wide then Akon.

Furthermore, the internet is actually becoming more relivent in promotion then television and has been for the last several years. If it's getting big buzz on the net, then that means it's getting big buzz period. And when the song is released as an actual single, it will get more attention, because as it is, it isn't yet a physical release.

And comparing this to "Black or White" or "YRMW", which had a video as well, is stupid, because those were solo efforts on Michael's part, not a featurette with Michael.
You tell 'em, wannabe. The damn track isn't even released yet and they talking like it is being ignored. If people can't see the excitement around MJ then it is because they don't WANT TO SEE IT>:yes:

Yeah Datsy, I just don't understand the need to LOOK for negativity when there absolutly is none. People's reactions so far, non-fans, have majority wise been extremely positive and it's obvious from them that people are really looking foward to Michael coming back. He's wanted. I've been saying this since before Michael even made it known he was working on an album. People want to see what he can still do and they know deep down he's on a level no one else is.

Yo, ignore it. Good things are happening and we don't need no rain muckin' up our sunshine.

Besides, gotta keep the fingers in tip top shape for reviewing the new album, y'know? :cheeky:

ignore the haters. dont give them the attention they come here to get.

the song rocks and if it makes it to michaels album i hope its a michael only version or at least a more michael less akon version :p

Yo, ignore it. Good things are happening and we don't need no rain muckin' up our sunshine.

Besides, gotta keep the fingers in tip top shape for reviewing the new album, y'know? :cheeky:
I have had more exercise in 3 days than I have had for a year. I haven't stop dancing.:D

On the matter of it being unlikely that the song would be featured on both albums because Akon does most of the singing, how would one even know that this is the final cut?

how would one even know that this is the final cut?
it's definitely a demo still - Mike's vocals aren't even compressed in with the rest of the track properly. and i'd expect it to be more of a duet when it's released.

I too doubt that it will be on both albums, it doesn't sound like Michael to me, to put it both ways, I don't think he ever done that, or is up for that, this is so not like him. I'd say it's ever going to happen they will need to rerecord, this song in a way that they both would sound equal or at least you would hear Michael's voice more than akon's, so far it is more of an akon song. michael does sing there, but the most of the singing is done by Akon it is Akon's song and for akon's album, if it would be Michael's song, for Michael's album, we would need more of Michael there. that's why I don't think it's gonna happen, don't foget that if someone else did it, usually, Michael doesn't do a lot of what other artists do.i'd say Michael definately wouldn't use for his album a song that is ment for another's album, he would leave it to them, otherwise it sounds amateurish.

I've got a direct rip from one of the master cds, and it sounds complete to me. Michael's vocal sound finished, but who knows.. they may release a lengthier version

I've got a direct rip from one of the master cds, and it sounds complete to me. Michael's vocal sound finished, but who knows.. they may release a lengthier version
Mike's vocals are too loud and don't sit properly between the rest of the track for a final, professional mix.

Yea I wouldnt be surprised if it wasn't the final version.

Right from the beginning the song felt a tad short in length for example. Maybe we're listening to a radio edit.

I'm still betting my bottom dollar that [this version] atleast won't appear on MJ's album, for the reasons I previously put forward.

I too doubt that it will be on both albums, it doesn't sound like Michael to me, to put it both ways, I don't think he ever done that, or is up for that, this is so not like him. I'd say it's ever going to happen they will need to rerecord, this song in a way that they both would sound equal or at least you would hear Michael's voice more than akon's, so far it is more of an akon song. michael does sing there, but the most of the singing is done by Akon it is Akon's song and for akon's album, if it would be Michael's song, for Michael's album, we would need more of Michael there. that's why I don't think it's gonna happen, don't foget that if someone else did it, usually, Michael doesn't do a lot of what other artists do.i'd say Michael definately wouldn't use for his album a song that is ment for another's album, he would leave it to them, otherwise it sounds amateurish.

You never know what MJ will do. MJ could and has switched things up a lot!

it's definitely a demo still - Mike's vocals aren't even compressed in with the rest of the track properly. and i'd expect it to be more of a duet when it's released.

So what y'all were wildin' on was...

A DEMO, A DEMO, A DEMO, A DEMO...???

Sorry, I refer to what Kool G. Rap said in '84. :lol:

on both albumns...

i know i'm being picky and pedantic and should throw rotten tomatoes at myself, but for MJ's own album, i was and still am expecting much better songs.

You see if it were akon's song on his own albumn, i'll be fine, beucase it's akon's. but i don't know...as much as I like MJ's new vocals on HMH, i don't think it's very much up to the standard at which i thought the new album will be at....

so it's very bad news for me, it i's true that it's on both albums. and it also doesn't make sense to me......

I couldn't care less if MJ fills his album with nursery rhymes. I shall be ever so grateful that MJ has found the courage to open his mouth and sing again. I was rather worried that he wouldn't do it again. He doesn't have to. Thank you MJ for singing and spreading your love again. Yes, I want to hold your hand. Put it on your album.

Last edited:
Mello1: yes, there were successful cases when the same song was released on different albums, but those are indeed rare. You basically listed them all for the last 40 years.

Those are rare because music companies consider them questionable. It is about the same as releasing two singles from one artist at about the same time. For example, Michael had this experiment successful in "Thriller" promotion, but neither he nor record company ever insisted on repeating that. (And I do not mean "B-side" videos like "Childhood" offered at the time of "Scream" promotion; this experiment was not successful for "Childhood" anyway, though).

Thus, even though the reported is possible, most probably it will not happen.

Last edited:
Wow, I am just amazed at how critical some fans are towards Michael. What exactly is it that constitutes a "good song"? When you really look at HMH, this song is straight up Michael Jackson. From the tight harmony to the high lyrical content to even the note it is sung in. It is soooo Michael. So if any fan doesn't like this song, IMO, they don't like Michael's style and they want him to sing something else. Maybe they want him to conform to today's acts out there....like his sister is trying to do....run with the current flavor. But we all know that Michael will not do that.

This song is not going to be a world wide hit because it was better than anything else out there now. It is going to be a world wide hit for one reason and one reason only....

BECAUSE MICHAEL JACKSON IS ON IT!

Plain and simple, people are gonna pay attention to the song JUST BECAUSE the legendary Michael Jackson is on it. We have already seen this happen when the song was first leaked on the net solo Akon it didn't get hardly any attention....there were no news articles or web blogs written about it. But as soon as the duet version was leaked, we saw folks paying attention from everywhere. And the hits went through the roof.

My prediction is that the song will be released and that it will be downloaded to the hilt and reach at least the top 5 on the charts. I also would not be surprised if it won a Grammy for best colab since there have been no memorable colabs this year as of yet.

So keep the faith. :flowers:

Back